PDA

View Full Version : Sloppy Shifter Fix

muskrat
06-05-2003, 10:32 AM
While pulling out my shifter to drop my tranny and change the clutch I decided to fix my sloppy shifter. There is suppose to be a little plastic "cup" that sits down in the shift mechanism where the shifter goes. Well, mine didn't have that, and after much abuse the little ball on the bottom of my shifter was pretty worn from the metal to metal contact. So buying the stock plastic "cup" would not have taken out all of the slop.

I went looking around my shop for supplies and came across some nylon rollers that are for a film processing machine (something they were throwing away here at work). The roller was about 1 inch diameter with a small hole through it. I found the outside diamter of the stock cup thingy and put the roller on my bench grinder, slowly turing it around until I had the proper outside diameter. A lathe would have been more precise, but I don't have one.

After I had the correct outside diameter I took my shifter and used a drill bit index to find out the diameter of the worn ball on the end of my shifter. Then I drilled it out. After that I used a sharp blade to taper the top edge, then sanded it smooth.

I installed the new shifter cup and tried it out, I cut out about 90% of the slop, and I might make another one to cut it out completely, but I am perfectly happy with it now.

Since the roller I used was nylon I can see it lasting much longer than the stock plastic piece.