PDA

View Full Version : KA24DE experts, please read... (Timing)

J0nJ0n
01-12-2010, 03:39 AM
Car: '92 Nissan 240sx KA24DE

I have read the FSM and it mentioned that the timing should be 18-22 degrees TDC. I was only about to max out at about 10 degrees. I pulled the distributor out turn the gear one tooth over. After that I checked it again but it was pushing 40+ degrees :/ Please take a look at the video and let me know what you think...

YouTube - JOnJOn - Nissan 240sx KA24DE Timing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRksv232HHY)

fos240
01-12-2010, 05:17 AM
don't worry about what the laptop says. i'm not sure where or how the ecu thinks the timing is set. i use a mdm and it doesn't match up with the physical timing either. just make sure your base timing is right by the timing light and don't worry what the laptop/ecu is telling you.

frankie

J0nJ0n
01-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Fos240: Thanks for the input... When looking at the main crank pulley straight on I am only getting about ~11 degrees timing and the distributor is advanced all the way. Last night I reverified that the engine was at TDC and installed the distributor to point at the #1 ignition wire. I still could only get about ~11 degrees. I then decided to pull the distributor out and adjust it one tooth over so I could get a little more room to advance the timing but the lowest it started at was probably ~45+ degrees which is no good... Any ideas why I can't get to that happy medium?

carcrzy920
01-14-2010, 05:44 PM
make sure your only going one tooth over. it may look like the distributor is at the number 1 but it might be just a tad bit off. i had a hard time with mine when i did my swap.

J0nJ0n
01-15-2010, 11:22 AM
GOOD NEWS GUYS... I got the car to run right... Thanks for all the input. It ended up being the computer so I swapped it with a MT ECU. I was able to time the car and still have extra distributor travel to the left and right. Again thanks for all the help!