PDA

View Full Version : S13 ka24de timing and idle adjustment at 800RPM hard to do

tuketo
01-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Just got a car. Idle is 700 timing is 20* like it should be, but the car sometimes drops rpm to low it actually stalls the car because it has no speedometer, gauge cluster was removed and aftermarket gauges are being run, all function fine, everything works.
But without the speed sensor I noticed this before when driving and throwing shifter in N it almost dies out, so that's why I raised up the idle to 800. This is where the problem comes in, the timing is now at 12*.
I fallowed the FSM, disconnect TPS, start engine race engine 3 times, let idle, adjust idle, shut off, connect TPS, verify idle speed is what I wanted.
But timing is off.
The other thing, when you disconnect the TPS now and start the car it wont idle at 800 anymore, it idles at 1150-1200. But if I set the idle back to 700, timing is good 20* and when I disconnect the TPS it idles 700, doesn't go up.
So I'm trying to understand this, what should I do? I want my idle 800 and my base timing 20*
When the car idles 800, timing is 12*. TPS disconnect it idles 1200 and timing is also 12* and it won't let me adjust timing.
So what should I do to get me where I want.
Should I just set the timing at 700, and change my idle and when it shows 12* ignore it, because when I re adjust the idle to 700 the timing is perfect without me touching it.

fos240
01-07-2010, 07:08 PM
disconnect the tps, set the idle to 800 rpms. after that adjust the base timing. plug the tps back in. drive the car before trying to adjust anything else. if the idle won't cooperate, then adjust it without disconnecting the tps. the base timing is more important than following all the other steps for idle. you can adjust idle without disconnecting the tps. but you can't adjust base timing without doing that step. also, check for vacuum leaks.

frankie