PDA

View Full Version : clutch pedal problem

carcrzy920
12-31-2009, 06:46 PM
okay so i was about to take my s13 down to the store and back but when i got in and started it up and pushed in the clutch (felt squishy) and tried to put it in gear it wouldnt slide into gear (trans is fine) so im like WTF! i get out and have someone push my clutch while i watch the slave cylinder. it barely moves the clutch fork like maybe half an inch. so i think that maybe theres some air in the line some how. i bleed it a few times and it gets a little better. clutch disengages and it slides right into gear. so i take it out drives fine no slipping or anything but the pedal still feels squishy. i take off from a stop on a empty 4 lane road so i nail into it to have a little fun and when shifting from 1st to 2nd i push in the clutch shift let go of the pedal and hit the gas and it free revs to like 3500 im like wtf, try to press the clutch and the pedals on the floor still then it slowly comes back up. i didnt try to race it any more just incase, just took it easy. never felt it slip and if i nail into it while in gear it pulls strong just the pedal feels sooo weird. its dark here so i cant really take a look at it right now so i thought i would post up the problem and see what you guys think it might be. its a fresh motor/trans swap and the clutch had a ton of pad left. the slave cylinder though is off of a old 92 s13 i had and it pretty much was a piece of rust formed into a 240 so i dont know how good it is, so i think its that. let me know what you guys think. thanks

SrRaycer
01-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Its gonna be your clutch master cylinder or a fluid leak

LOUD240
01-04-2010, 11:25 PM
replace the slave they are cheap,do you still have that bleader block on the frame? if so take it off the system will bleed easier/better and you will have better pedal feel

carcrzy920
01-05-2010, 09:18 AM
i changed the slave cylinder with a brand new one. and i swapped it over from an auto so i never even bothered with the bleeder block. i think there is still air in the line because if i dont drive it for a day or so the it wont return all the way but if i pump it alot then it comes right back up. i cant adjust the little arm from the master cylinder to the pedal for some reason to have the full pump when bleeding, so i think thats having something to do with it.

rb26man
01-05-2010, 09:27 AM
bleed the lines my buddy had the same issue now its cherry

SrRaycer
01-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Yeah just bleed it and try it... it is not the slave cylinder, ppl always say this first but our slave cylinders dont fail that often... If you still have issues after bleeding, start checking for fluid leaks.

carcrzy920
01-05-2010, 03:53 PM
okay well the slave cylinder was at the junkyard and was like $4 and was litterly brand new, like they bought it put it on got outa there drive way then BLAM! to the junkyard. i adjusted the pedal all the way up so it would get ALL the air out of the line and master cylinder, readjusted to where theres no travel until it moves the clutch after bleeding and its firm and reacts great now. thanks guys.

SrRaycer
01-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Oh Ok I didnt think about that. I actually had that same problem before, when the pedal is up you can actually pull it up a little higher with your hand

carcrzy920
01-06-2010, 05:29 PM
huh i hate my car. just went down to the store for some cookies haha and shifting from 1st to second it grinded sorta bad. and if im down shifting to slow down and turn or something it grinds going into second and first. now heres the weird part, i pull to a stop sign holding the clutch to the floor and in 1st completely stoped for a bout 10 secs then it just grinds, i was like "now how in the **** did that happen" looking at the shifter. i did notice though if i take off and hold the clutch for a sec before i shift it goes into gear with out a grind.

rocksteady_racer
01-07-2010, 05:31 PM
My 90 240sx has had similiar symptoms. Before my master cyinder kept getting low on fluid, it was fine for a while topping it off. My first severe symptom was it wouldn't go in reverse. Then it slowly got tougher to get it into any gear. I'm pretty sure it's the slave cylinder but I have an extra master clyinder in case it's that. The only other thing I could think of is clutch pivot fork but I highly doubt that. I've only had the slave cylinder on for a year but I knew it was going because of the leak. I removed my bleeder block and have a straight line thicker race line so I know the line's not leaking and it's not air because the leaking that was happening some how self bled it every time. So I got a new slave cylinder and I'm going to put that on and see if that fixes it.

carcrzy920
01-11-2010, 06:01 PM
i really dont know WTF is wrong with mine anymore. its acting werid guys. if i take it easy and hold in the clutch for a few secs before shifting its fine but if i trying to get on it and quick shift it wont do it. another crazy *** problem its having now is some time say like today i was at the gas station going over a speed bump in 1st and the pump wasnt far away so i left it there and just pushed in the clutch and let it roll to the pump but i left it in 1st incase it wouldnt make it and i had to pull up a lil, well as it was rolling it started grinding pretty bad remind you (the clutch is completely to the floor and its completely in gear still) so i reach over and pull it into nuetral and it stops. WTF is wrong with my car.

BTW i have a new slave and agency power clutch line, not the short one the long one.

Im just going to baby it till i turbo it then ill replace the trans then when i do everything else and replace the clutch, rms, pilot bushing, etc.

SrRaycer
01-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Do you have a short shifter? it kinda sounds like a bad tranny

carcrzy920
01-14-2010, 09:05 AM
no its a stock shifter. im starting to think its the tranny too. i just dont get why it does it when its already in gear whit the clutch pressed.

carcrzy920
01-14-2010, 05:32 PM
okay so i pulled my trans today to find the most beat to shit clutch i have ever seen. the pad is almost gone, the center piece that the trans spline goes through spins about a 1/4 inch, the big springs on the pad are there but the little spring inside the big spring on one isnt there and idk where it went. the pressure plate has major scars in the surface and and heat scaring too. the throwout bearing spins but sounds reallly dry like theres sand in it. havent pulled the flywheel yet to check the pilot bushing. im sure its bad too. sound like my problem? haha

newslidz
01-16-2010, 09:21 AM
yep its the clutch pressure plate setup. I had a similar issue with my car the pedal would get really soft somtimes and it came down to 1 day where i was about 40min away from my house slowing down at a traffic light and i felt a big bump and i was like wtf. then when the light turned green i pushed the pedal in and went to go to first and nothing i couldnt put it in any gear. I WAS LIKE WTF MY TRANY IS SHOT. well after i got help pushing my damn car out of a 6 lane highway I reached in and stuck it in second then it dawned on me that its not the tranny so i reached under the pedal and ripped the wire that makes you push it to the floor before you start and started it up in first and clutchless shifted all the way home. tore it down and i had 2 broken springs on my clutch.

carcrzy920
01-16-2010, 05:22 PM
springs on your pressure plate? thought they were on the clutch pad. i dont think i have springs on the pressure plate.

newslidz
01-16-2010, 07:16 PM
yea sorry i was thinking about pp earlier when i wrote that. your right

carcrzy920
01-19-2010, 09:12 AM
well ill be replaceing the clutch soon as soon as i can afford one and ill let everyone know if that fixes it.

flipnoi
03-27-2010, 10:50 AM
well ill be replaceing the clutch soon as soon as i can afford one and ill let everyone know if that fixes it.

I have the exact same problem right now, like when I shift i get this loud grinding. usuallt 1st to 2nd and sometimes to 3rd. Also, when im driving and hold down the clutch, the RPM will decrease and eventually the same loud grinding will occur.

after you replaced the clutch, how did everything work out? bc I think I would have to do the same thing you did.

carcrzy920
04-01-2010, 10:55 AM
works fine after i replaced the clutch. my pressure plate was destroid. missing springs and all types of crap. i just got an ebay oem replacement clutch till i turbo it. then ill upgrade, but i have about 3k on the clutch so far and its doing fine. just do the proper break in period of 500miles and itll be fine.