PDA

View Full Version : tranny drain bolt stripped

cumbewong
12-30-2009, 12:17 PM
this is my first time draining my tranny and when i went to go do it, this is what i found :/

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3769/photo0071ky.jpg
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/5762/photo0072h.jpg
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/3370/photo0073u.jpg

it just keeps slipping :[ and it seems there is some gasket seal as well..

is there any way to take this off?? please help me out :wtc:

aznpoopy
12-30-2009, 12:34 PM
easiest thing to do is probably weld something to it.

other dumb ideas that may work:
fill the inside with something to take up the slack between the sides and the breaker bar. a thin rag or something may do the trick.
take a (disposable) undersized socket or spiral tap, hammer it onto the exterior.
file down the circumference to make two flat edges and then put a wrench on it.
yeah i've actually done all of these before.

Ben G
12-30-2009, 12:34 PM
a drill then use a tap to re thread the inside and put in a new plug in... how many miles on your tranny by the way?

stinky_180
12-30-2009, 02:10 PM
it looks like theres some sort of 'thread locker'. try torching it

clark
12-30-2009, 02:29 PM
a drill then use a tap to re thread the inside and put in a new plug in... how many miles on your tranny by the way?

ugh looks like your drain plug has chlamydia

just what this guy said!

either a HUGE ass extractor OR drill a hole right through deep enough so you can fit a decently sized bolt extractor.

if you dont' already ahve a set, now's the time to get one anyawys:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00966196000P?vName=Tools&keyword=bolt+extractor

Touge180sx
12-30-2009, 02:39 PM
This happened to my buddys car, Just weld a bolt head to it and remove.

yukon
12-30-2009, 02:44 PM
either the rag condom idea over the .5 male adapter o

devnull
12-30-2009, 02:49 PM
That is what happens when you use an impact wrench on a drain plug.

om3ga
12-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Heat it up with a torch and then try to take it out. Then replace the plug with a new one

projectRDM
12-30-2009, 06:13 PM
That is what happens when you use an impact wrench on a drain plug.

No, this is what happens when you use the incorrect tool. Impact has nothing to do with it, Nissan sells the appropriate 13mm square head socket.

j87w
12-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Just hammer a torx bit that is going to be a tight fit into it. Remove the plug and install a new one. Dont make it any more difficult than it has to be. If that doesnt work then move on to more extreme measures.

yokotavia
01-01-2010, 01:32 AM
heat it up a bit to loosen that rtv sealant in the threads then use a breaker bar to try to turn it easily

g6civcx
01-01-2010, 07:56 AM
No, this is what happens when you use the incorrect tool. Impact has nothing to do with it, Nissan sells the appropriate 13mm square head socket.

13mm Subaru & Nissan Drain Socket (http://ultimatetoolco.com/drainplugs.aspx)

yukon
01-01-2010, 05:19 PM
13mm Subaru & Nissan Drain Socket (http://ultimatetoolco.com/drainplugs.aspx)u.

Nice find, g6civcx. Why cant we all be smart like you.

S14_Kouki
01-02-2010, 03:55 PM
u.

Nice find, g6civcx. Why cant we all be smart like you.

I could of used this awhile ago. Anyways for the OP the same thing happen to me on my tranny. I ended up Drilling out the middle and threading it then using my own bolt. It works just fine.

Andres_G
01-03-2010, 04:01 PM
So using a breaker bar is wrong?? I've used it a couple of times and have had no difficulties.

g6civcx
01-03-2010, 04:13 PM
So using a breaker bar is wrong?? I've used it a couple of times and have had no difficulties.

It has nothing to do with the breaker bar. You need a special socket to fit inside the square hole of the plug.

Think about it.

iROYAL
01-03-2010, 04:24 PM

"The 1/2" drive square is a few millimeters too narrow and is also too long to fit in the plug. Unnecessary effort is wasted holding the wobbly ratchet up to the plug, holding it steady and centered while still managing to turn it. You are also rounding off that plug."
- http://ultimatetoolco.com/drainplugs.aspx

Andres_G
01-03-2010, 04:52 PM
It has nothing to do with the breaker bar. You need a special socket to fit inside the square hole of the plug.

Think about it.

why does it feel like your insulting me?

and i'm sure i'm not the only one who uses the breaker bar.

yukon
01-03-2010, 05:11 PM

Insulting people for no reason is part of 240sx culture. Insult 10 people for everytime you are insulted . it repairs your ego.

g6civcx
01-03-2010, 05:18 PM

I can't help what you feel. If I wanted to insult you, I would insult you directly.

Now I am going to insult you.

We are talking about using the proper socket to fit inside the plug. What the hell does this have to do with using a breaker bar?

If you have the correct socket, you can use a breaker bar since there will be no slip in the socket.

If you do not have the correct socket, the regular 1/2" drive will slide around the plug. You can strip the plug without using the breaker bar.

As you can see, the breaker bar is not germane to this conversation.

Do you lack the basic understanding of elementary physics, or do you need to be spoonfed?

I've just insulted your intelligence.

Andres_G
01-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Dude! I fully understand that the 1/2 in breaker bar is not the right tool for this. I know that there is a proper tool for everything. I work on my car at a auto hobby shop that has EVERY tool. I tell the tool guy what i'm trying to do, and he gives me the proper tool.

I was simply making a statement that, I once used a breaker bar a couple of times. Thats it. No need to bite my fucking head off. We live, and we learn. Right?

Lack understanding of physics? are you serious? It's kinder garden shapes! square goes into square.

Next time i'll ask for the 13mm square socket thanks to this thread. THANK YOU.

The whole comment about "why does it feel like your insulting me" was meant to be taken as a joke. Next time I'll put LOL.

Sir, you by no mean insulted my intelligence. It's good to see you feeding your ego, keep it up.

g6civcx
01-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Dude! I fully understand that the 1/2 in breaker bar is not the right tool for this.

You said:

So using a breaker bar is wrong??

Your original statement has nothing to do with a 1/2" socket. You just asked if using a breaker bar on ANY socket is wrong.

You added the 1/2" part later.

I know that there is a proper tool for everything. I work on my car at a auto hobby shop that has EVERY tool. I tell the tool guy what i'm trying to do, and he gives me the proper tool.

This is not germane to the breaker bar issue.

I was simply making a statement that, I once used a breaker bar a couple of times. Thats it. No need to bite my fucking head off. We live, and we learn. Right?

I have no issue with your use of the breaker bar. I take issue with you asking about the breaker bar.

So using a breaker bar is wrong??

Lack understanding of physics? are you serious? It's kinder garden shapes! square goes into square.

This is still not germane to the breaker bar question.

The whole comment about "why does it feel like your insulting me" was meant to be taken as a joke. Next time I'll put LOL.

We don't joke on this forum.

Sir, you by no mean insulted my intelligence. It's good to see you feeding your ego, keep it up.

Stick around and try to help people for about 1 year. You will start to understand.

yukon
01-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Dude! I fully understand that the 1/2 in breaker bar is not the right tool for this. I know that there is a proper tool for everything. I work on my car at a auto hobby shop that has EVERY tool. I tell the tool guy what i'm trying to do, and he gives me the proper tool.

You have to understand that 95 percent of the people on the forums are blood sucking parasites. 4.5% are parts changers who think they are geniuses. and .5% actually contribute something or at least know the limits of their knowledge.

Andres_G
01-03-2010, 06:25 PM
I see, we have a misunderstanding between us.

I didn't ask if using a breaker bar on any socket was wrong. Referring to the drain plug. I should of been clearer.

You take issue in me asking? EXCUSE ME FOR ASKING. I'll tone it down a tad.

"We don't joke on this forum"? PLEASE

I'm not saying I know every thing, but I definetly help people out when ever I can.

Oh, and way to avoid some of my comments.

I'm done with this thread.

jrbump
01-03-2010, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the link to that tool. Just bought one.

yukon
01-03-2010, 06:44 PM
I see, we have a misunderstanding between us.

I didn't ask if using a breaker bar on any socket was wrong. Referring to the drain plug. I should of been clearer.

You take issue in me asking? EXCUSE ME FOR ASKING. I'll tone it down a tad.

"We don't joke on this forum"? PLEASE

I'm not saying I know every thing, but I definetly help people out when ever I can.

Oh, and way to avoid some of my comments.

I'm done with this thread.

I dont want to take sides but your response should have been something like this: " Hey, retard, I'm not paying $29 plus tax and shipping for a tool I will only use once when I can put a rag over the socket or heat up plug a bit . As long as Im halfway careful I wont strip it."

codyace
01-03-2010, 06:58 PM
I dont want to take sides but your response should have been something like this: " Hey, retard, I'm not paying $29 plus tax and shipping for a tool I will only use once when I can put a rag over the socket or heat up plug a bit . As long as Im halfway careful I wont strip it."

Most Auto stores carry a similar tool in the help section 8 to 10 bucks. I wouldn't pay 30 for that either. I've had 3' breaker bars on the cheapy one multiple times (we own a big truck repair shop) and they work just fine.

if you dont' want to weld another nut in there, you can also use epoxy and 'set' a bolt in there. For me it's easier to weld a bolt in...you'd be surprized how many of these we deal with at the garage.

yukon
01-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Most Auto stores carry a similar tool in the help section 8 to 10 bucks. I wouldn't pay 30 for that either. I've had 3' breaker bars on the cheapy one multiple times (we own a big truck repair shop) and they work just fine.

if you dont' want to weld another nut in there, you can also use epoxy and 'set' a bolt in there. For me it's easier to weld a bolt in...you'd be surprized how many of these we deal with at the garage.

Good info.

g6civcx
01-03-2010, 07:31 PM

The link I posted was just to show what is needed to fit the plug. There is a picture showing how a 1/2" drive can strip the plug.

http://ultimatetoolco.com/images/diff2.jpg

You can of course find a cheaper version.

Or if you're innovative, make your own socket.

Rayne
01-06-2010, 05:20 PM

I was wondering about this. A transmission I bought has a stripped plug. I am glad I haven't tried to remove it yet.

stinky_180
01-07-2010, 03:09 PM
kinda on topic here but...

is there a special tool for the fill plug? if so, where can i purchase one?

yukon
01-07-2010, 03:43 PM
kinda on topic here but...

is there a special tool for the fill plug? if so, where can i purchase one?

is it 17mm box end wrench/

stinky_180
01-07-2010, 03:52 PM
looks like you can purchase one from that that same ktc website.

anybody know the nissan part number for the tool mentioned by projectrdm?

codyace
01-07-2010, 04:10 PM
just goto carquest or napa or whatever, check the help section, and buy the 5 or 6 dollar one there.

projectRDM
01-07-2010, 05:47 PM
The FSM has part numbers for special service tools, but the dealer has a higher markup. The above website is a better choice. You can also google search the item and find a few places that carry it too. Some OTC parts stores sell similar sockets, but they're questionable quality. The brand name Lisle Tools makes a lot of axle and specialty type sockets, but they're very poorly made. I've used their Torx sockets on GM cars and rounded them out (the socket) easily. If you trust an $8 no name socket, cool. No one is going to hate you or berate you for it. Well, not much anyway.

And I will admit, I've used a breaker bar on numerous transmissions without issue, but I've been lucky. They don't always break loose so easily. For every one I've removed, I've read about another one being stripped or damaged. It's the peace of mind of having the proper tool versus just getting by or having to rig something silly like welding a nut to it or drilling it out. One thing I did when parting out cars is keep all the extra diff fill and drain plugs (I sent the open diffs to the recycling yard) so I always had extra plugs on hand in case I came across one that was slightly worked. Always better to replace it before it gets worse.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUNEX-3-4-Heavy-Duty-17mm-Truck-Double-Square-Socket_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ef160742bQQitem Z270337602603QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

http://www.alltiresupply.com/p-GP-4317S.html <- A lot of heavy duty truck wheels use square wheel bolts for the dual wheels in the rear, this is a 1" drive socket with the 17mm head. There's plenty of them to be found.