PDA

View Full Version : magnetic numbazzzzz

Warwick5s
05-30-2003, 03:45 PM
well i'm doing my first autocross on sunday, and the only thing i don't have nailed down are the freaking numbers! the madison sports car club requires numbers on the sides at least 6 inches tall, contrasting color, and not shoe polish. i'd do electrical tape but my car is really dark and i'd rather not have sticky stuff on the side of my car (although i guess white electrical tape would work in a pinch, but that's hard to find too!). i've been to home depot, art supply stores, walmart/shopko/target etc looking for a 8.5x11 or so sheet of white, magnetic vinyl, so i can make the numbers out of electrical tape because i don't know if it's going to change.

where did you guys get your numbers? did you have them made? did you get a sheet? if so - where?

THX1138
05-30-2003, 04:40 PM
I got mine from a sign shop. They applied a layer of adhesive-backed silver to the magnetic sheet and used a computer driven plotter to cut the numbers out.

Try local sign makers, or you should be able to find sheets at large craft stores, like Michael's or A.C. Moore.

In a pinch, you could do something super-cheap. At my first (and only so far) race with the Atlanta region of SCCA, if you didn't have your own numbers they gave you 8 1/2 X 11 sheets of paper with numbers drawn in heavy magic marker, and a roll of masking tape to stick it on your door. Looks ugly, but it works...

AceInHole
06-02-2003, 01:41 PM
I got my magnetic sheeting from www.mcmaster.com
Look for the colored vinyl backed magnetic sheeting there.

Spent around $15 for about 6 sq ft. Ended up with numbers about 1sq ft each.

Used some spraypaint to give them a two toned outline look. They ended up really nice, IMO.

sykikchimp
06-03-2003, 11:40 AM
http://www.soloracer.com

they can make them anyway you want with your class.

nokeone
06-03-2003, 01:57 PM
i just had a place make vinyl stickers for me that i put on the windows..only problem is they are a one time use thing..

as far as megnetic ones go the reusiblity of them is nice..but i'd be worried about having different numbers for different groups, i.e. TCRA, SCCA, NASA, Speed Trials, Etc...

THX1138
06-03-2003, 05:42 PM
If you have to change numbers often when running with different groups, you can get magnetic pieces shaped like the pips in LCD characters, and create any numbers you need.

antihonda
07-02-2003, 07:13 PM
go to your local walmart ect... and go to the computer paper section a company named avery makes magnetic printing sheets and or sticker paper sheets just make your numbers with that the sheets are standard paper size (8.5-11 inches) so you can make your letters or numbers as big as you want