PDA

View Full Version : the extreme end of capital punishment?

brndck
12-29-2009, 10:29 AM
China executes Briton despite UK, family pleas - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091229/ap_on_re_as/as_china_britain_death_sentence)

CLIFFS: china executed a british man for smuggling 9lbs of heroin into the country. the uk claims he was mentally unbalanced.

is this too extreme? many of us in the u.s. wish we had stricter punishment for criminals, but where do you draw the line? how far is too far?
discuss.

URUMQI, China – China brushed aside international appeals Tuesday and executed by lethal injection a British drug smuggler who relatives say was mentally unstable and unwittingly lured into crime.

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown said he was "appalled" at the execution of 53-year old Akmal Shaikh — China's first of a European citizen in nearly 60 years. His government summoned the Chinese ambassador in London to express its anger.

China defended its handling of the case, saying there had not been documentary proof Shaikh was mentally ill. Beijing also criticized Brown's comments, but said it hoped the case would not harm bilateral relations. The Foreign Ministry called on London not to create any "obstacles" to better ties.

Shaikh's daughter Leilla Horsnell was quoted by the BBC and other British media outlets as saying she was "shocked and disappointed that the execution went ahead with no regards to my dad's mental health problems, and I struggle to understand how this is justice."

The execution is the latest sign of how China's communist government, with its rising global economic and political clout, is increasingly willing to defy Western complaints over its justice system and human rights record.

Last week, a court sentenced the co-author of a political reform manifesto to 11 years in prison in what rights groups called a direct rebuff to international pressure. Diplomats from more than a dozen countries were shut out of Liu Xiaobo's trial on subversion charges. The United States called for his immediate release.

Earlier in the month, China urged Cambodia to interrupt a U.N. refugee screening process and subsequently Phnom Penh repatriated 20 ethnic Uighur asylum seekers accused of involvement in ethnic unrest in western China.

Shaikh, a Briton of Pakistani descent, was arrested in 2007 for carrying a suitcase with almost 9 pounds (4 kilograms) of heroin into China on a flight from Tajikistan. He told Chinese officials he didn't know about the drugs and that the suitcase wasn't his, according to Reprieve, a London-based prisoner advocacy group that is helping with his case.

He was convicted in 2008 after a half-hour trial.

He first learned he was about to be executed Monday from his visiting cousins, who made a last-minute plea for his life. They say he is mentally unstable and was lured to China from a life on the street in Poland by men playing on his dreams to record a pop song for world peace.

The press office of the Xinjiang region where Shaikh had been held confirmed the execution in a statement handed to journalists.

In his statement issued by the Foreign Office, Brown said he condemned the execution "in the strongest terms, and am appalled and disappointed that our persistent requests for clemency have not been granted."

"I am particularly concerned that no mental health assessment was undertaken," Brown said.

The Foreign Office said Foreign Minister Ivan Lewis on Tuesday had reiterated to China's ambassador, Fu Ying, statements by Brown and Foreign Secretary David Miliband condemning Shaikh's execution.

Brown had spoken personally to China's prime minister about the case. Miliband had earlier condemned the execution and said there were unanswered questions about the trial — including over whether there was adequate interpretation during the trial.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu responded that drug smuggling was a serious crime.

"We express our strong dissatisfaction and opposition to the British accusation," Jiang told a regularly scheduled news conference in Beijing.

The official Xinhua News Agency quoted China's Supreme Court as saying Tuesday that although officials from the British Embassy and a British aid organization called for a mental health examination for Shaikh, "the documents they provided could not prove he had a mental disorder nor did members of his family have a history of mental disease."

"There is no reason to cast doubt on Akmal Shaikh's mental status," the Supreme Court was quoted as saying.

Xinhua said Shaikh was put to death by lethal injection. China, which executes more people than any other country, is increasingly doing so by lethal injection, although some death sentences are still carried out by a shot in the head.

The Beijing-based lawyer for Shaikh's death sentence review, Zhang Qingsong, said Tuesday he never got to meet with Shaikh despite asking the judge and the detention center for access. He said China's highest court never evaluated Shaikh's mental status.

According to Reprieve, the last European executed in China was Antonio Riva, an Italian pilot who was shot by a firing squad in 1951 after being convicted of involvement in what China said was a plot to assassinate Mao Zedong and other high-ranking communist officials.

"The death of Akmal Shaikh is a sad indictment of today's world, and particularly of China's legal system. ... We at Reprieve are sickened by what we have seen during our work on this case," said Sally Rowen, legal director of Reprieve's death penalty team.

Reprieve issued a statement from Shaikh's family members saying they expressed "their grief at the Chinese decision to refuse mercy."

The statement thanked supporters, including those who attended a vigil for Shaikh outside the Chinese Embassy in London on Monday night, along with members of a Facebook group that drew 5,000 members in just a few days.

The statement asked the media and public to respect the family's privacy as they "come to terms with what has happened to someone they loved."

Gareth Saunders, a British teacher who knew Shaikh in Warsaw, said his friend was cheerful but obviously very mentally ill. He said the last time they met in an underpass, Shaikh said he was traveling to Central Asia but would return in two weeks.

"I tried to contact after two weeks, no reply. that was the last time I tried to contact him," Saunders told The Associated Press.

Brian
12-29-2009, 10:37 AM
I don't feel that he deserved the punishment.

slider2828
12-29-2009, 11:16 AM
We can't use our countries view on capital punishment against other countries IMO. In China, Thailand, and Singapore, if your caught, you will get the death penalty period. If you look at those area's history with drugs such as opium and the such, I think its valid. Current day laws are based on the history of the country as it is considered past precedence.

Also in those areas, drug offenses are considered much more serious than it is here.

murda-c
12-29-2009, 11:23 AM
it's cool they just drive the price of drugs up and I make more money.

rb26man
12-29-2009, 11:33 AM
i say punishment should fit the crime and that totally didnt fit

ryguy
12-29-2009, 11:43 AM

All depends on your viewpoint. 9 pounds of heroin is surely enough to effectively end the lives of other people. However, I disagree with the way China handled the mental disease aspect.

I personally think we should take a tougher stance on punishment in America.

aznpoopy
12-29-2009, 11:48 AM
death penalty for drug smuggling? i'm totally down with that.

due process is another matter entirely. haha. US has a bit too much. but china has practically none at all.

driftking777
12-29-2009, 11:54 AM
I know this is going to seem brash, but laws like this, although might be harsh, keep honest people honest, and take scum of the streets.

I personally hate the way Americas Judicial system works. You can be a convicted murderer (and admit to it) and sit on death row for years. What a waste of tax payers money. And we wonder why there is over crowding in the prison system. Then im sure someone will say something about the mentally unstable, but thats a another topic almost in itself.

i have a much much longer speech, but my son is crying. so im ending this now...

g6civcx
12-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Other countries don't value human life as much as America. What's left to discuss?

slider2828
12-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Pfffft... the mental aspect of what? He was able to buy 9LBS of Heroin... Come on... 1stly he was able to buy 9lbs of it somewhere.... If someone has a line to buy 9lbs on the street let me know cause it ain't that easy. 2ndly, he sane enough not to take 9lbs of it himself. 3rdly 9lbs being smuggled into china means he had a means of slangin it, so he can't be stupid. 4th, he was caught with it.... (what else is needed). 5th, its like OJ being smeared with Nicole's blood. He couldn't get off, now if it was heroin on the dudes glove then maybe hahahah

driftking777
12-29-2009, 12:05 PM
death penalty for drug smuggling? i'm totally down with that.

due process is another matter entirely. haha. US has a bit too much. but china has practically none at all.

agreed. msglenth

driftking777
12-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Other countries don't value human life as much as America. What's left to discuss?

No some countries have zero tolerance for fuck ups. Neither do i. People make mistakes. But running drugs isnt a mistake, its a life choice.

Matej
12-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Every criminal suddenly has a mental disorder.

driftking777
12-29-2009, 12:13 PM
btw, before this gets locked for becoming political or anti whatever, it should probably be moved to new OT section (whatever its called)

murda-c
12-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Why don't the chinese just stop buying the drugs?

g6civcx
12-29-2009, 01:01 PM
No some countries have zero tolerance for fuck ups. Neither do i. People make mistakes. But running drugs isnt a mistake, its a life choice.

Or they have a population problem.

driftking777
12-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Or they have a population problem.

Yes china does have a population problem. So does alot of nations (Japan for one)

Which in my mind further proves the point, why allow all these fucks ups run the streets after you catch them? You shouldnt, there are plenty of good people in the world that prefer it to be safer. I know i do. Catching and releasing criminals is not on my list of "Its OK"

g6civcx
12-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Yes china does have a population problem. So does alot of nations (Japan for one)

Which in my mind further proves the point, why allow all these fucks ups run the streets after you catch them? You shouldnt, there are plenty of good people in the world that prefer it to be safer. I know i do. Catching and releasing criminals is not on my list of "Its OK"

I have no issue with capital punishment and the crimes for which capital punishment may be prescribed.

I do have an issue with the standard of proof. How much is beyond reasonable doubt? 99.9%? 99? 95? 90%?

Do we need eyewitness testimony? video evidence? forensic evidence? How much is enough to be sure the person is guilty?

There is always a slight bit of doubt with every conviction. I just don't know how much would be enough to overturn a capital punishment sentence.

drift_limo
12-30-2009, 07:32 PM
We can't use our countries view on capital punishment against other countries IMO. In China, Thailand, and Singapore, if your caught, you will get the death penalty period. If you look at those area's history with drugs such as opium and the such, I think its valid. Current day laws are based on the history of the country as it is considered past precedence.

Also in those areas, drug offenses are considered much more serious than it is here.

so true.

I heard people in thailand that are from other countrys get cought and get the death penalty.

god bless america for real.
or else im pretty some in here would be on zilvia in cell block D right now.

upsdude
12-30-2009, 08:04 PM
at least china has the balls to stand up to other countries and protects its sovereignty.. unlike the U.S. who bends over to whatever the U.N. wants, and apologizes for everything that is perceived as inappropriate. i'm not saying that china doesn't trample on it's citizens rights.

ronmcdon
12-31-2009, 06:37 AM
Well, it is their laws and customs.
Dont go if you dont like it.
Its not like there are any surprises.

Tbh - i was actually surprised this was the 2nd european killed since the 1950's.
That seems very forgiving.

murda-c
12-31-2009, 07:02 AM
Jeez guys it's just heroin.

not like it was anthrax lol.

kingkilburn
12-31-2009, 12:55 PM

Japan's population problem is that it is very sharply going down. No one's having any kids. The death to birth ratio is like 2/.75 or something along those lines. Even with immigration they can't keep up.

It probably a good thing for them though.

Brian
12-31-2009, 01:43 PM
USA has a population problem.

have you guys driven in Southern California?

Weedm
12-31-2009, 02:07 PM

Hahaha. Everyday and I can't agree more. Doesn't matter what freeway you're on, if it's during week day rush hours you're certainly due to hit traffic regardless.

Back to the topic. I don't think the guy deserved a death sentence. A jail sentence for a certain amount of years would have been a better verdict in my opinion. Regardless of how harshly strict their drug smuggling laws are, ending a human life over such a crime is not correct. But that's just an opinion from someone who is from America.

Forgiving is to set a prisoner free, and realizing that the prisoner was you.

drift_limo
12-31-2009, 06:15 PM

no thats mexico we took it back.
lol

china has a bad population problem.

but as for there punishment I think they should. heroin is up there as one of the worse drugs and anybody that does it is just a loser.
so im glad they are gettin the death penalty. They should do the same for meth,coke and heroin addicts here in the US.

theicecreamdan
12-31-2009, 07:24 PM
If somebody brought 9 pounds of heroin into my house I'd probably kill them... so.

HalveBlue
01-06-2010, 08:41 AM
They should do the same for meth,coke and heroin addicts here in the US.

Why? :confused:

usdm180sx
01-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Who saw that movie "Red Corner" with Richard Gere back in 1997? He was an attorney in China charged with murder but it was a total setup. If he was found guilty the Chinese court was going to shoot him and mail his family a bill for the bullet.

ronmcdon
01-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Wow, that film was older than id care to admit.
some things dont change much.

PNTA8-NCiCw

still it seems tame in comparison, to say Midnight Express in the late 70's
Dude was also busted for smuggling drugs.
No execution involved, but he was stuck in a miserable Turkish jail

eAY4aADKk08

KA24DESOneThree
01-06-2010, 11:16 AM
He smuggled drugs.

He didn't force anyone to take drugs. He didn't hurt or kill a single person.

He initiated no force, yet the punishment was the ultimate use of force.

By any system of justice, of true justice, this was unjust, was despicable, and should have never happened. However, true justice doesn't exist anymore. It's a myth, an idealist's idle musing.

DALAZ_68
01-06-2010, 11:24 AM
still it seems tame in comparison, to say Midnight Express in the late 70's
Dude was also busted for smuggling drugs.
No execution involved, but he was stuck in a miserable Turkish jail

eAY4aADKk08

that movie is still one of my top 10 must see...its so fucken raw and real for tis time.

amdnivram
01-06-2010, 12:17 PM
i think the punishment was a little harsh, but it wasnt completely uncalled for.

KA24DESOneThree
01-07-2010, 07:37 AM
i think the punishment was a little harsh, but it wasnt completely uncalled for.

Why wasn't it completely uncalled for?

Because of the potential for the drugs to kill people who take them of their own volition, of their own free will?

Because it was for the "greater good" of society?

Enna
01-07-2010, 09:57 PM
I actually stand behind this judgement. Anything drug related deserves this. Drugs are banned in all countries, yet these idiots still try to smuggle it in. If it wasn't deserving of the death penalty then why are they smuggling it?

Anything that can be carried and is worth money is always smuggled somewhere. Are you trying to say that w/o the proof he was mentally ill, or because he was the smuggler, that he should just go to prison for a set number of years? Its ppl like you that cause our own judicial system to fail.

HalveBlue
01-07-2010, 10:28 PM
I think what KA24 was getting at is, why was Mr. Shaikh penalized for what is essentially a victimless crime?

The consumption of illicit substances is an inherently personal decision. No doubt there are severe risks associated with the consumption of many illegal substances. But these risks must be evaluated solely by the individual engaging in said activity.

Unless Mr. Shaikh was personally restraining other individuals and shooting them up with heroin, I do not see how he committed any crime whatsoever. Rather, I would submit that Mr. Shaikh was the victim of an arbitrary set of laws that fall in line with the PRC authoritarian principles.

Would you think appropriate to execute your local bartender for supplying alcohol to his patrons, justified on the notion that the consumption of alcohol may lead to an occurrence of DUIs and alcoholism?

ronmcdon
01-08-2010, 12:42 AM
What we think is appropriate is entirely irrelevant.
It's futile to even try and understand China's cultural customs, laws, penalties.

About bartenders though, I'm not so sure it's the best example from a legal standpoint.
Alcohol isn't illegal to consume, sell, or transport.
Perhaps illicit drug dealer, or smuggler would be more relevant.
It's also illegal here, just as it is in China and almost every country.
It's just the legal procedures & penalties are different.

Now I'm just guessing about whats technically legal, in my casual opinion
(in case a certain somebody comes in to make a fuss)
Ethics, I could care less about.
you can pretty much say whatever you want.

HalveBlue
01-08-2010, 10:36 PM
What we think is appropriate is entirely irrelevant.
It's futile to even try and understand China's cultural customs, laws, penalties.

I vehemently disagree with the assertion that, "what we think is appropriate is entirely irrelevant". In fact, I think it's perhaps the most relevant thing of all.

By your logic, one could argue that we can't condemn the Holocaust because Nazi Germany was a different society?

While I can appreciate the moral relativist position that China is a vastly different country from the United States - with a deep and rich cultural, social, and political history of it own - and therefore has policies that do not mirror our own, it doesn't change the fact that I find the political and judicial policies of the current regime reprehensible.

In this case in particular I am dismayed that a human being was executed for an act that, in an of itself, harmed no one.

FWIW, as far as drug policy is concerned, I don't think U.S. laws are much better in some respects.

About bartenders though, I'm not so sure it's the best example from a legal standpoint.
Alcohol isn't illegal to consume, sell, or transport.
Perhaps illicit drug dealer, or smuggler would be more relevant.
It's also illegal here, just as it is in China and almost every country.
It's just the legal procedures & penalties are different.

You missed my point. It doesn't really matter who the "barkeeper" is, or what he serves. Nor in which country he serves it.

At it's very foundation, the example I gave revolves around the following arguments:

- What entity or being has the right to determine what an individuals does with their body or what substances they choose to consume?

- On what basis do we assign moral superiority/acceptability of certain substances over others? Who decides this; and from where do they derive their authority?

I would say that first question is absurd because the answer is inherent: only the individuals themselves can choose.

The second is more complex. Although I would submit that as long as the use of the substance affects only the user, the user should be free to do what he wishes with the substance.

With that in mind, let me offer a simplified version of the example in my previous post:

-Person A offers to sell a product to Person B, without coercion.

-The product offered has the potential to both benefit and/or harm Person B.

-Essentially, Person A is offering Person B a choice: Buy the product, or do not buy the product.

Logically, Person B, is the only individual that can decide whether the potential benefit or harm of the product justifies its purchase.

On what grounds can we justify punishing Person A for offering Person B a choice?

Now I'm just guessing about whats technically legal, in my casual opinion
(in case a certain somebody comes in to make a fuss)
Ethics, I could care less about...

Could you elaborate on this? Especially the last part in bold.

kingkilburn
01-08-2010, 10:50 PM
He knew he was committing a crime and I would assume he had a good idea of the punishment for said crime.

Giving that he understood all that I feel justice was served.

The analogy of the bartender and drug dealer is flawed. The drugs are illegal the alcohol is not. You can't hold a legal merchant responsible for what his legal clients do with their belongings.

Any moral compass any of us use does not apply to Chinese laws and customs. The philosophy and ideology the laws are based on are too different from western culture in general. German culture on the other hand is part of the same over arching culture as our own.

Btw are you saying that Jews are no better than drug dealers or drug dealers are no better than Jews?

zylvia213
01-09-2010, 12:05 AM

^^^^:werd:

HalveBlue
01-09-2010, 12:24 AM
He knew he was committing a crime and I would assume he had a good idea of the punishment for said crime.

Giving that he understood all that I feel justice was served.

The analogy of the bartender and drug dealer is flawed. The drugs are illegal the alcohol is not. You can't hold a legal merchant responsible for what his legal clients do with their belongings.

The law is arbitrary.

You defend Mr. Shaikh's punishment on the notion that because it's the law, and because he broke it, he deserves the punishment.

The real question however is, by what logic do we consider the act he committed (smuggling heroin) criminal?

Mr. Shaikh killed, nor injured, anyone. He didn't stick a syringe filled with heroin in someones harm and pump them full of smack.

No, he took a package of powder from one country to another. That's it.

What exactly is the criminal part of the crime he committed?

I guess, "it's bad because we said so" is a believe that some people subscribe to.

I'm not one of them.

Any moral compass any of us use does not apply to Chinese laws and customs. The philosophy and ideology the laws are based on are too different from western culture in general. German culture on the other hand is part of the same over arching culture as our own.

So which cultures can judge which other cultures? What are the guidelines you would propose we use?

You say that (according to you) German culture is similar enough to ours that it falls within our purview to judge the Holocaust.

But we cannot judge the Greap Leap Forward or the Cambodian Genocide because these events occurred in societies that don't share a similar cultural background to ours?

Sorry, but that's where you and I disagree.

Bad shit is bad shit. Millions of innocent people dying = bad shit. Regardless of where it happens.

Btw are you saying that Jews are no better than drug dealers or drug dealers are no better than Jews?

What?!

Neither.

I was using (or at least tyring to use) the Holocaust as analogy to demonstrate moral relativity is a farce. At least when applied to certain principles.

kingkilburn
01-09-2010, 01:31 AM
Genocide and drug smuggling aren't even in the same neighborhood. By comparing the two you lose all credibility in my eyes. You seem to want to make it a black and white issue by pushing it to a far extreme instead of just discussing the issue at hand.

When comparing western morals to eastern morals you aren't comparing apples to apples. You are looking at their punishment of a crime through western lenses. I'm sure in a totalitarian zero tolerance judicial system it works just fine. They don't have to deal with rehab because they are trying to kill the messenger before he give his message.

I wish we adopted this type of policy. You don't have prisons full of petty theft and minor drug charges when you deal with the inflow of drugs absolutely.

luftrofl
01-09-2010, 02:27 AM
While I can't say I support this type of punishment... I feel that one should know the punishments (and be prepared to accept them) in different areas of the world if one plans on breaking the law.

ronmcdon
01-09-2010, 02:37 AM
I vehemently disagree with the assertion that, "what we think is appropriate is entirely irrelevant". In fact, I think it's perhaps the most relevant thing of all.

By your logic, one could argue that we can't condemn the Holocaust because Nazi Germany was a different society?

While I can appreciate the moral relativist position that China is a vastly different country from the United States - with a deep and rich cultural, social, and political history of it own - and therefore has policies that do not mirror our own, it doesn't change the fact that I find the political and judicial policies of the current regime reprehensible.

In this case in particular I am dismayed that a human being was executed for an act that, in an of itself, harmed no one.

FWIW, as far as drug policy is concerned, I don't think U.S. laws are much better in some respects.

You missed my point. It doesn't really matter who the "barkeeper" is, or what he serves. Nor in which country he serves it.

At it's very foundation, the example I gave revolves around the following arguments:

- What entity or being has the right to determine what an individuals does with their body or what substances they choose to consume?

- On what basis do we assign moral superiority/acceptability of certain substances over others? Who decides this; and from where do they derive their authority?

I would say that first question is absurd because the answer is inherent: only the individuals themselves can choose.

The second is more complex. Although I would submit that as long as the use of the substance affects only the user, the user should be free to do what he wishes with the substance.

With that in mind, let me offer a simplified version of the example in my previous post:

-Person A offers to sell a product to Person B, without coercion.

-The product offered has the potential to both benefit and/or harm Person B.

-Essentially, Person A is offering Person B a choice: Buy the product, or do not buy the product.

Logically, Person B, is the only individual that can decide whether the potential benefit or harm of the product justifies its purchase.

On what grounds can we justify punishing Person A for offering Person B a choice?

Could you elaborate on this? Especially the last part in bold.

What I was saying that the legal system & ideals there in China are very different from the US system.
I'm just not interested when it comes to discussions about cross-cultural ethics.
imo, it's very personal & depends a lot of vague interpretation.

Did the executed guy in question harm anyone?
I think that's debateable.
Directly, probably not.
Indirectly, it is probable.

China thinks illicit drugs are harmful.
There is always the possibility that hard drugs can cause death.
China thinks the prolifertation of illicit drugs are harmful.
China, therefore imposes a set of penalties to discourage this.
The USA (and pretty much the vast majority of countries) do the same.

As Slider2828 mentioned,
China's history did include a particulary destructive period caused in part by the influx of Opium.
It's reasonable that China would go through measures to make sure this doesn't happen again.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_Wars

To me, it's a reasonable policy.
However, it's not unthinkable that others may not find it reasonable.
Replace 'illicit drugs' with another illegal substace that can cause harm,
say rocket launchers, biochemical weapons, national security secrets, etc.
The same could reasonably apply.

Oh sure, everyone is totally free to condemn (or support) anything.
Just not everyone, always agrees what to condemn and what not to.
For instance, I don't condemn the death penalty,
and I don't condemn penalizing the distribution of hard drugs.
Ppl condemn the politicians in their own country every day.

Oh I agree it' absurd for governments to decide who can do what,
with regards to one's own body.
It's also hard at times to determine what's ought to be legal based on what substance (or anything really) is more harmful.
We can, and should voice our opinions.
In the USA, it makes sense to express our opinions.
We can vote, write to our politicians, use the media, etc

In China, it's all for nought as it's not the same polical system,
Public pressure, media pressure (thanks to censorship) don't acheive the same.
Ppl everywhere inside China, or outside have condemned it.
Economically it's changed.
Politically, it still runs with an iron fist.
It's not going to change anytime soon, most likely.

So which cultures can judge which other cultures? What are the guidelines you would propose we use?

Just about anyone can judge anything.
But so what?

Whether the party who expresses approval or dissaproval makes a difference, is another matter entirely.
I doubt any of us here would have much leverage over China's policies.
Im more interested in what's practical, rather than what's moral.

Matej
01-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Foreigners always think they are above the law in other countries.
No matter how stupid or obscure the law is, chances are you will be subject to it if you commit a crime.

ronmcdon
01-09-2010, 06:42 PM
^^^ Especially Americans imo.
Of course, anything must always be beneath our moral excellence.

lewisfk
01-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Pretty cool, its plain and simple in China! Get caught and die! Wow 9 lbs where did he hide it?

HalveBlue
01-15-2010, 03:31 AM
Genocide and drug smuggling aren't even in the same neighborhood. By comparing the two you lose all credibility in my eyes. You seem to want to make it a black and white issue by pushing it to a far extreme instead of just discussing the issue at hand.[quote]

No, I was using the holocaust to underscore that moral relativism is a poor argument to use to defend what is an inherent injustice.

That's why I cited the Great Leap forward as a further example; and there are plenty more.

What you don't seem to realize is, it's not the details that are important in this analysis, it's the underlying logic, which applies universally.

The argument here doesn't revolve around whether or not crime should be punished. It revolves around the question of whether or not the law criminalizing a certain action is founded upon rational principles.

[quote]When comparing western morals to eastern morals you aren't comparing apples to apples. You are looking at their punishment of a crime through western lenses. I'm sure in a totalitarian zero tolerance judicial system it works just fine. They don't have to deal with rehab because they are trying to kill the messenger before he give his message.

Whatever. You seem to believe that simply because an injustice was committed in another country or culture that the issue is therefore above reproach. I disagree with this.

As further example, I'll point to the issue of political speech, which is heavily censored in China. Now, obviously, the CPC has a vested interest in suppressing dissident political movements and has enacted laws to do just that.

Do you support what the CPC is doing?

I wish we adopted this type of policy. You don't have prisons full of petty theft and minor drug charges when you deal with the inflow of drugs absolutely.

Or, we could just decriminalize actions which fall into the spectrum of personal choice and responsibility.

HalveBlue
01-15-2010, 03:39 AM
What I was saying that the legal system & ideals there in China are very different from the US system.
I'm just not interested when it comes to discussions about cross-cultural ethics.
imo, it's very personal & depends a lot of vague interpretation.

That's fine. Although, again, I disagree.

Did the executed guy in question harm anyone?
I think that's debateable.
Directly, probably not.
Indirectly, it is probable.

This goes back to the earlier argument I made with the barkeeper example.

You wouldn't hold the bartender responsible if one of his customers decided to drive drunk.

Why, would hold the drug dealer responsible if one his customers overdosed?

Whether the party who expresses approval or dissaproval makes a difference, is another matter entirely.
I doubt any of us here would have much leverage over China's policies.
Im more interested in what's practical, rather than what's moral.

This, I can agree with.

Obviously, I can not change the laws in China.

That does not, however, mean that I can not criticize their laws.

s14_driver
01-15-2010, 04:50 AM
I actually stand behind this judgement. Anything drug related deserves this. Drugs are banned in all countries, yet these idiots still try to smuggle it in. If it wasn't deserving of the death penalty then why are they smuggling it?

Anything that can be carried and is worth money is always smuggled somewhere. Are you trying to say that w/o the proof he was mentally ill, or because he was the smuggler, that he should just go to prison for a set number of years? Its ppl like you that cause our own judicial system to fail.
I completely agree with you
If a person gets caught smuggling into America the drugs get confiscated and the smuggler goes to jail/or cuts a deal and walks but then the person who set him up for the job would be pissed so they either have him killed or make him pull another job to make up for the money that they would have made on the first deal
If America doesnt want to execute people cause it takes like 30+ yr to do it in California they should just take away peoples citizenships and kick them out of the country

kingkilburn
01-15-2010, 02:09 PM
It's not personal choice and responsibility when others have to deal with the repercussion of your actions.

Now you can then decide to NOT take care of the people in your community and close down all rehab and AA type programs, get rid of DARE and other preventative programs. Personally I would rather not live in a third world drug slum.

I know we can agree that hard drugs that can and will kill you are bad. The culture and economy surrounding them are bad. Why then, can we not agree that trafficking these drugs not also be bad?

flip3d
01-15-2010, 02:18 PM
The last thing China needs is a drug problem. That shit would spread like a wildfire among the 2 billion people.

China doesn't fuck around with that shit. They have work to do.

We should start doing that here too so we can get off our asses and start paying them back. :P