PDA

View Full Version : Picking a turbo for sr22 build

idahotuner
12-27-2009, 11:20 PM
Hey guys. i have an mazworx block that i put together and i have been doing some research on BW-extended tip tech, Hpp, and garret turbos to see which would work best for my goals. I am open to suggestions of other turbos. i just want to keep it T3.

i have already built a 400 hp gt2871r .64 stock block sr. but then the rings didnt hold up.

so here is the specs so far

Block:
mazworx prepped block.
90mm bored
darton sleevs
eagle H beams
Cp pistons 9 to 1 compression
oversides oil pan

Head:
Bc 264 cams
Bc springs
JWT valve guides
3 angle valve job
exhaust side knife edged and polished

other parts that are worth while
greddy intake manifold.
full three inch exhuast
greddy Ls intercooler kit

AVCR boost controller- i dont see many people running these or tunning then to control boost. you can run 100% solenoid duty cycle to have boost spool instantly then once it hits boost have the solenoid run a lower duty cycle to maintain a level boost setting with out spiking.

going with a Jim Wolf tune
740 -1000 cc injectors
Z32 maf
mazworx turbo kit cept i dont think i want to run a gt3076 thats why i am asking for options.

here are my goals.

make 450hp on 92-93 octane since e85 isnt available where i am.
i want a power curve from 4000-8000 grand cause i dont want to rev any higher then 8000.

this isnt a track set up. just a reliable street set up.

4x4le
12-28-2009, 12:19 AM
such nice things you have, just to have held together with a commercial bench tune

idahotuner
12-28-2009, 03:41 AM
i know. but the location i am at. that is about my only option for now. next fall a stand alone will come into play. for the engine break in i am going to run a JWT tune since its not a very common set up and i am going to run my t25 to seat the rings. then i figured a reflash was going to be in the range of 100 bucks. for swtiching over to a bigger turbo

rb26man
12-28-2009, 09:53 AM
instead of the t25 get a 28

S14_Kouki
12-28-2009, 10:59 AM
If you want to do it the right way you will brake it in without a turbo.

4x4le
12-28-2009, 11:21 AM
There is no reason to break it in without a turbo, and if anything you dont want to break it in with a smaller turbo instead of a larger one. A smaller turbo is going to be more likely to spool up fast and more likely to get into boost (which is what your trying to not have happen). There are many methods of breaking in an engine. Rings seat quicker than people tend to think.

Also, jwt dont care about what turbo you use. I have never seen them scale rpms and I have never seen them scale load correctly. They dont care what turbo your using, rather only care about your injectors and maf. This is not a good way to tune any engine let alone one like yours. I would look for different options or you really are wasting money on all of the goodies your putting in your engine anyways. An engine, no matter how well its setup, is only as good as the tune its running on.

usdm180sx
12-28-2009, 11:56 AM
If you're super baller get an hks 3037. a friend of mine has that turbo with the hks 2.2 stroker kit and made 440whp with supporting mods

whereda40at
12-28-2009, 12:03 PM
if you only want 450whp then go with a borg warner s272. perfect for what you want.

idahotuner
12-28-2009, 12:09 PM
i wanted to do a JW tune because i wasnt happy with my enthalpy tune i ran on my last set up. the stock motor is broken in with a t25. i just want a tune that is expanded over a stock tune to suit the over bore and higher compression. also the fact that i will be running larger injectors 550cc and z32 MAF. this wont bea really high performance tune that runs on the edge. just an up graded stock tune for getting the car on the road and breaking it in.

break in will be 500 miles of varying loads then change the oil, then run it slightly harder to 1000 miles before changing the oil and swtiching it to synthetic oil.

idahotuner
12-28-2009, 12:22 PM
If you're super baller get an hks 3037. a friend of mine has that turbo with the hks 2.2 stroker kit and made 440whp with supporting mods

i looked int othat turbo as well. i just dont think a t2 turbo will flow enough air without creating a ton of back pressure. to make that much power.
if you only want 450whp then go with a borg warner s272. perfect for what you want.

the BW s256 and s258 are very nice looking compressor maps and by looking at dyno graphs the spool up and performance of these turbos seem like they deliever power right in the 4000-8000

idahotuner
12-28-2009, 02:29 PM
while doing some searching i found this. Turbo shootout results: BW S256 vs GT3076R - Honda-Tech (http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2220363) its comparing a gt3076r to a BW s256 on a 1.8 liter honda. the gt30 had a quicker spool but the s256 made a little more top power. but with my motor being a 2.2 i think the whole graph should be slid over to the left at least 500 rpms.

juggernaut1
12-28-2009, 06:58 PM
With the BW vs 3076 comparo I think t depends what boost you want to run. BW turbos only seem to come into ther own at higher boost levels. And based on that comparo - the BW is lazier up to 5300 rpm regardless of boost.

Hence the reason why the 3076 is such a popular choice for street cars as you tend to be under 5300rpm most of the time.

fliprayzin240sx
12-28-2009, 07:54 PM
I say GT3076, top mount manifold, atleast a 740 cc injector,get a PFC with a boost control kit, have steve shadows drop you a mail in tune for it. Get a wideband o2 sensor with datalogging, datalog the setup and either learn to tweak it on your own or send the datalog to steve and he can fine tune your PFC setting.

BlitzRPS13
12-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Yea.. ecu tune on a fully built motor would be foolish. Also those injectors would be too small.. 740's atleast like flip said.

PoorMans180SX
12-28-2009, 09:58 PM
Why not twin-scroll? That way your turbo will spool by 4k-ish.

Don't forget Precision billet turbos. I have a feeling this turbo will suit your needs well:

EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts - Precision T & E HP5557R Ball Bearing Billet T3/T4 Turbocharger: 535 HP (http://www.extremepsi.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=22520&cat=1653&page=1)

4x4le
12-28-2009, 10:37 PM
Yea.. ecu tune on a fully built motor would be foolish. Also those injectors would be too small.. 740's atleast like flip said.

any mail order tune on a motor like this will be foolish, even if its being tuned by someone in socal and going on a pfc.

I have seen MUCH higher hp sr's on ecu tunes that run and drive perfect and have gobbs of power too. Standalones are nice because its easier finding someone that knows how to tune the few major brand standalones, however the sr ecu isnt an inferior engine management option in the right persons hands.

I have no good contribution to the turbo decision, but I would suggest that the op just put on the turbo, injectors, and ecu that he plans on running on his car off the bat, break it in, and then tune it to make power. He is putting the engine break in on a pedistool.

When my engine got built 2 years ago I started it and let it warm up, shut it off, let it cool all the way down, and then repeted that again. I then drove it 300 miles without getting over 5 psi (small turbo and hilly area made it hard to stay in vac) and then after 300 miles it was time for an oil change and then I hit the dyno and tuned it. The car gets drifted at least once a month and sometimes 2x a month pegging the rev limiter often and I have never had any issues with the engine. It has never smoked, not even for a minute, and never on startup either. Compression and leakdown have always been good. No issues.
Breaking in engines are not near like what some people think it needs to be. Do you think new engines in new vehicles are broken in? You should see what they do at the end of the assembly line on first startup. Add oil, start engine, revv the T-total shit out of them untill they stop rattling, clanging, and knocking....... Then they slap a 100k mile warranty on them.

steve shadows
12-29-2009, 12:16 AM
I would definitely look into the Haltech Units. They are just amazing and the new software is 100 times easier to work with than any of the other systems I have seen.

It's flawless.

+ the closed loop target map actually works now! and works amazing, much better than any other EMS>

on the topic of turbo it depends on how fast you want it to spool up.

If you want something that will spool up as fast as a 2871R then I would go for a GT3076R. If you want something that will provide limitless power and still spool up by around 3800 RPMS, then I would go with the GT3540R

idahotuner
12-29-2009, 12:17 AM

the 550s are for the break in tune. and to run after break in during the spring and summer, before i swap out to a larger turbo.

last year i went to school for auto tech stuff, transmission rebuilding and engine rebuilding an break in. plus car electronics.

depending on the location of build makes the break in vary. if you can do it in a completely sterile environment like a car manufacture plant then its not quit such a big deal. but then if you get most high performance cars from the factory brand new they tell you how to break the motors in from the factory. do most people listen to this No they dont. BMW and Subaru both do this from the factory...... they give the recommended break in procedure.

the ecu tune is kinda being put down in this thread it seems. for a nice street able set up ECU tunes have been very successful. just because my motor has an over bore and higher compression, doesnt make it extra special. alot of people do stock rebuilds using forged parts just to make sure the engine last longer.

sure my engine has high power potential. but i want a solid streetable set up.
that will smoke most cars on the road.

i am suprised no one has mentioned the gt3071 r yet. i know no matter what turbo i run i dont really want to do anything over a .80 A/r on the turbine side. cause anything bigger will not give the spool up i want no matter what turbo it is.

twin scroll is very nice but i think it is slightly over rated. full races twin scroll gt3071r has the potential. do do exactly what i want by giving a nice bump in the torque curve. but i was thinking about laying out some new tracks in the unexplored territories of sr20s

the PT HP5557 turbo seems like a very good option, because i like the fact that they use a SS turbine housing that is a .55 A/r giving it a quick spool up. by keeping the heat in.

since i want to run Pump fuel i am thinking 20-24 psi is maxing it out. i ran 24 psi on a gt2871r .64 and made 416 hp and 350 ft lb tq. so in the turbo comparison the gt3076 out shined the BW s256 up until about 24 psi it seems.

as far as tuning once again i want a solid reliable tune. i dont want to be running on the ragged edge like my last build up did with the gt2871, i want injectors running about 75-80% max, i want the turbo running at 75-80% efficiency. and i want to work with 264 cams to have a nice fat steeetable powerband. i want to retain hydraulic lifters so i dont have to reshim giving the 4000-8000 powerband i am looking for.

i hope this adds some more info to eliminate people getting distracted by the tuning and fuel. when i asked about a turbo

idahotuner
12-29-2009, 12:28 AM
I would definitely look into the Haltech Units. They are just amazing and the new software is 100 times easier to work with than any of the other systems I have seen.

It's flawless.

+ the closed loop target map actually works now! and works amazing, much better than any other EMS>

on the topic of turbo it depends on how fast you want it to spool up.

If you want something that will spool up as fast as a 2871R then I would go for a GT3076R. If you want something that will provide limitless power and still spool up by around 3800 RPMS, then I would go with the GT3540R

i was wondering if someone would throw the gt35 into the mix. spool up and fat power curve are part of the build. up until i got from alsaska this summer i was planning on tunning the car my self as i was able to get free dyno time at the time, but i have since switch schools. i have heard good things about haletech
. but finding some one to tune is the hard part. at least in my area

S13 curtis
12-29-2009, 01:37 AM
HTA GT3076r Forced Performance Turbochargers: FP HTA GT3076R Ball Bearing Turbocharger (http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FP&Product_Code=NTGT3076HTA&Category_Code=Turbo-FP)

best thing so far. or get a billet Precision turbo.

lol at T25 on a built motor, you might be able to get 280whp on a t25 with all the stuff you have.

idahotuner
12-29-2009, 10:50 AM
HTA GT3076r Forced Performance Turbochargers: FP HTA GT3076R Ball Bearing Turbocharger (http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FP&Product_Code=NTGT3076HTA&Category_Code=Turbo-FP)

best thing so far. or get a billet Precision turbo.

lol at T25 on a built motor, you might be able to get 280whp on a t25 with all the stuff you have.

yeah i know. its not going to be pretty either cause i will use the stock cast manifold.

that turbo looks really nice. but damn. 1700 for the turbo. i might as well do a twin scroll gt35 for that price

tkocrewsr
12-29-2009, 12:24 PM
My suggestion would be for you to get a twin-scroll 3076r and send it to forced performance for the upgraded wheel and housing.What I mean by that is you can have great spool up with the T-S option and the HTA compressor wheels also help spool up,and will be able to make big power in the event you want too. The precision 5857 will be more like the turbo i mentioned above,the billet wheel will make big power and also spool a little sooner.I think the .55 A/R housing will be a little restrictive if you want to rev out to 8k.

i missed the part about th PT hp5557 turbo sounds like good choice as well but i would recommend a slightly bigger exhaust housing.

steve shadows
12-29-2009, 07:16 PM
3037 is basically the same as the 3076R

S13 curtis
12-29-2009, 07:50 PM
jus make sure what ever you get next has the billet wheel. new tech FTW.

idahotuner
12-31-2009, 10:21 AM
My suggestion would be for you to get a twin-scroll 3076r and send it to forced performance for the upgraded wheel and housing.What I mean by that is you can have great spool up with the T-S option and the HTA compressor wheels also help spool up,and will be able to make big power in the event you want too. The precision 5857 will be more like the turbo i mentioned above,the billet wheel will make big power and also spool a little sooner.I think the .55 A/R housing will be a little restrictive if you want to rev out to 8k.

i missed the part about th PT hp5557 turbo sounds like good choice as well but i would recommend a slightly bigger exhaust housing.

i know what you mean about wanting to make more power eventually. but at the same time knowing when to draw the line on a project is good to.

so i should piece my own turbo together,i will check into the price of the billeted wheels. then check on a twin scroll housing. i think a twin scroll .70 a/r would give just about the spool that i want. run it with a .7 a/r compressor housing it be a pretty even turbo with a great mid range turbonetics actually makes a twin scroll gt35 like this. but when i had mentioned it on another forum everyone was putting it down.

crash41
12-31-2009, 12:01 PM
go with the precision sc61 turbo

tkocrewsr
12-31-2009, 12:31 PM
i know what you mean about wanting to make more power eventually. but at the same time knowing when to draw the line on a project is good to.

so i should piece my own turbo together,i will check into the price of the billeted wheels. then check on a twin scroll housing. i think a twin scroll .70 a/r would give just about the spool that i want. run it with a .7 a/r compressor housing it be a pretty even turbo with a great mid range turbonetics actually makes a twin scroll gt35 like this. but when i had mentioned it on another forum everyone was putting it down.

I wouldnt say you necessarily piece your turbo together just look at your options a standard 3076r can easily do 450 on the boost you wanna run and martinxat on FA tuned a car with 117 octane and 32psi to 591hp.So a 30r will make your power output and more the HTA is an option as well as the precision 5857 but no twin-scroll.

Just research all your options before you choose, a 30r will make what you want but there are other great option billet wheels and ceramic bearing center sections,if you want a turbo thats always upgradeable and down gradeable i would look into comp turbo.there pieces are top notch quality and they have plenty of compressor wheels and turbine wheel options as well as housing options.

idahotuner
01-01-2010, 10:59 PM
this is a dyno graph of one of my friends on nico. his tun isnt very good . and i havent heard of an update yet. but he was running 11afr in boost which is rich gt3071 r full race twin scroll kit.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/93s13/My%20S13/White%20Coupe/05-07-09_DynoGraph.jpg
that power isnt quite what i expected for the boost he was running but he was running stock cams at the time. throw that graph in combo with my 264 cams and should add i would say at least 70 peak hp and quite a bit all the way across the board. plus a good tune

idahotuner
01-01-2010, 11:09 PM
this turbo from full race seems like a viable option. in the T4 .83 A/r

Full-Race Motorsports (http://www.full-race.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=214_1167&products_id=1905)

idahotuner
01-01-2010, 11:22 PM
just noticed the main difference between the twin scroll gt3076r and gt3071r is the compressor housing is .5 and .6 but they use the same turbine housing being .78 a/r 84 trim. this of course is comparing the t3 gt3076 not the t4. they even say this on full-races's page about the gt3076r " Upgrade turbocharger for GT3071R non-wastegated ball-bearing turbocharger; turbine housing flanges are outline interchangeable". so a person can start out with a gt3071 and swap out compressor housings to make the turbo a 76. so own two housings and have 2 turbos.

juggernaut1
01-02-2010, 02:24 AM
The 3076 has a 76mm exducer compared to the 3071 which has a 71mm exducer. So simply swapping comp housings won't work. You'll need to swap the whole centre section and comp housing/wheel.

Also with the T4 BW turbo link you posted above...you'll find the T3 BW equivalent has a bigger ex wheel which is never a bad thing. I'm only guessing...but the bigger ex wheel of the T3 may result in more hp/torque over its T4 cousin. Unfortunately finding dynos on these new BW twin scroll turbo's is difficult at best.

tkocrewsr
01-02-2010, 01:08 PM
this turbo from full race seems like a viable option. in the T4 .83 A/r

Full-Race Motorsports (http://www.full-race.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=214_1167&products_id=1905)

i dont have much experience with the BW turbos but i can tell you if you have the mazworx manifold then i would stay with the .63 T3 single scroll housing if you get a full race TS manifold then i would suggest .78 T3 TS housing.the 3071 will do what you want but the 3076 will do it easier with slightly less response.

Mr.James
01-02-2010, 01:29 PM
not sure if your interested but im selling a twin scroll gt3071r. its brand new. let me know if you are interested, i tried to PM you but it wouldnt work for some reason. you can find me on AIM mrjames240sx im always on.. later

idahotuner
01-02-2010, 02:31 PM
not sure if your interested but im selling a twin scroll gt3071r. its brand new. let me know if you are interested, i tried to PM you but it wouldnt work for some reason. you can find me on AIM mrjames240sx im always on.. later

yeah i saw your kit for sale. and i would have jumped all over. but i havent gotten the bill from the machine shop yet. i am kinda scared to see what it will look like.

i dont have much experience with the BW turbos but i can tell you if you have the mazworx manifold then i would stay with the .63 T3 single scroll housing if you get a full race TS manifold then i would suggest .78 T3 TS housing.the 3071 will do what you want but the 3076 will do it easier with slightly less response. i dont have the mazworx manifold. it is just a viable option.