PDA

View Full Version : Help! Oil Starvation (SR20DET)

BiG MiKE86
12-23-2009, 09:25 AM
My SR seems to be having Oil starvation issues - its making a loud tapping noise coming from the head it sounds like. Pulled the valve cover off, unplugged the cas, and turned it over a few times to see if any oil was flowing the the oil rails? that sit over the cams. Seems that the intake cam was getting oiled over cyl. 2,3,4 oil was flowing a pretty decent over the cam lobe - cyl. 1 got nothing - and pretty much the entire exhaust side was dry - especially towards the front of the engine

(ive got a video of turning the engine over will post soon)

This is a Redtop SR - with about 15k since rebuild - pretty much everything new including oil pump, pickup, seals, greddy oil pan, etc...

I have no oil pressure gauge :smash: (buying one today), oil level was a tad low but still in good, nothing in the head looked outta the ordinary

WTF Could be causing this? Where should I begin to look?

Thanks

armand
12-23-2009, 09:55 AM
My SR seems to be having Oil starvation issues - its making a loud tapping noise coming from the head it sounds like. Pulled the valve cover off, unplugged the cas, and turned it over a few times to see if any oil was flowing the the oil rails? that sit over the cams. Seems that the intake cam was getting oiled over cyl. 2,3,4 oil was flowing a pretty decent over the cam lobe - cyl. 1 got nothing - and pretty much the entire exhaust side was dry - especially towards the front of the engine

(ive got a video of turning the engine over will post soon)

This is a Redtop SR - with about 15k since rebuild - pretty much everything new including oil pump, pickup, seals, greddy oil pan, etc...

I have no oil pressure gauge :smash: (buying one today), oil level was a tad low but still in good, nothing in the head looked outta the ordinary

WTF Could be causing this? Where should I begin to look?

Thanks

the cam oiling tubes in the sr are bad for getting clogged up. i had the same problem, the holes are very very small what i did was take a 1/16" drill bit and drilled the holes out. it worked great cams get plenty of oil and the tubes have not clogged up anymore. and also the oil pressure did not change

codyace
12-23-2009, 10:54 AM
the cam oiling tubes in the sr are bad for getting clogged up. i had the same problem, the holes are very very small what i did was take a 1/16" drill bit and drilled the holes out. it worked great cams get plenty of oil and the tubes have not clogged up anymore. and also the oil pressure did not change

That works, but those lil tubes get so clogged up with shit it's not funny. I tried drilling a set out once, and wasn't careful, and it ripped outa the vise and ripped in half...then i saw all the sludge and said, Ef it.

Since then I usually always goto the dealer and get new ones for a b14 sentra...like 20 bucks for both of them, can't go wrong.

armand
12-23-2009, 12:01 PM
That works, but those lil tubes get so clogged up with shit it's not funny. I tried drilling a set out once, and wasn't careful, and it ripped outa the vise and ripped in half...then i saw all the sludge and said, Ef it.

Since then I usually always goto the dealer and get new ones for a b14 sentra...like 20 bucks for both of them, can't go wrong.

if you do drill them out you have to clean them out first, i soaked mine in parts cleaner and blew them out with compressed air a lot of sludge came out. i herd about the ones for the b14 sentra. are the holes in those any bigger than the holes in sr's?

talentsearch301
12-23-2009, 01:38 PM
What about installing an accusump oil accumalator...

"
The Accusump™ oil accumulator was designed to stop loss of oil pressure in racing applications. In road racing as cornering speeds increased and ground clearance decreased the ability for shallow wet sump oil systems to provide continuous oil pressure was becoming a problem. To solve this oiling problem an oil accumulator was designed to provide the oil required during the high load periods when the oil pickup became uncovered and pressure was compromised. Eliminating the momentary loss of oil pressure saved engines.
The Accusump's success on the road racing circuit was soon noticed by drag racers who had their own set of oiling problems because of high acceleration and deceleration rates. The Accusump™ became the accepted way to provide more continuous oiling and add longevity to drag race engines.
Over 25 years the simplicity and effectiveness of the Accusump™ has spread to all areas of motorsports and into all types of applications.
The realization that most wear on a normal engine occurs during startup before oil pressure is established has made the Accusump™ popular in many non-performance areas. By providing pre-oiling the Accusump™ can extend the life of any engine."

Homer_Simpson
12-23-2009, 02:18 PM
if you do drill them out you have to clean them out first, i soaked mine in parts cleaner and blew them out with compressed air a lot of sludge came out. i herd about the ones for the b14 sentra. are the holes in those any bigger than the holes in sr's?
I did what Cody did and ordered a set from Gspec. It was confirmed by the owner as well as many FWD SR owners that the holes are a bit bigger.

codyace
12-23-2009, 02:34 PM

I did what Cody did and ordered a set from Gspec. It was confirmed by the owner as well as many FWD SR owners that the holes are a bit bigger.

Yup. I figure by the time you clean them out, drill em out, shoot air through them and stuff, i cold put it towards something else. Plus I like seeing new bling bling when I put motors together...but I can def see it working :D

As far as the B14 (95+ Sentra 2.0 and 200sx 2.0) cars, the oil holes are much bigger (almost like drilling them out).