PDA

View Full Version : ka24de problems

Timeless513
12-17-2009, 04:53 PM
First off let me start by saying this is my first ka

Now the problem there is a weird hissing coming from my maf and its bucking while idling it started after I installed a safc and it wouldn't start with it in so I unplugged it and took it out now my car is bucking and making the hissing sound when I unplug the maf it still hisses but it doesn't buck. Any ideas because I have no idea

Timeless513
12-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Please guys let's get this poor boy some help

Timeless513
12-18-2009, 12:58 AM
So no help anyone any ideas

Hashiriya415
12-18-2009, 01:34 AM
As far as I know you don't plug a SAFC, you solder it in place, so how did you unplug it from your car?
Hissing, air leak, go look for it.

Timeless513
12-18-2009, 07:48 AM
I'm sorry I hooked up the afc neo and my car wouldn't start with it even when I adjusted all the settings so I pulled it back out when I did the car started right back up but it idles really really rough while the maf is plugged in but goes back to normal when I unplug the maf. And the hissing is coming from the intake and it wasn't there before my wideband isn't working correctly so I can't get an accurate reading on if I'm running rich or lean but as for the smell it. Kinda smells like I'm running really rich

Dream240
12-18-2009, 08:46 AM
Well yeah,

Hissing = air intake leak
Running Rich = Intake leak AFTER the MAF

Check your intake system after your MAF for the leak.
Also pull your engine codes, you got an S13 or S14?

S13....just disconnect the neg battery terminal for about a minute and that will reset the ECU. Then make sure you plug everything back in to where it's supposed to go and start it up.... problem gone?

Try that first then report back.

Timeless513
12-18-2009, 03:01 PM
I reset the ecu and its dumping to much fuel when I plug in the maf when its not plugged in it runs fine I even tried installing a z32. Maf instead of the dohc and still dumping to much fuel I'm really stumped on what I should do next like I've said this is my first ka so I don't really know what I'm doing I normally have srs and have never had a problem like this

Timeless513
12-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Oh also this is an s13 it has had the gr removed and has a header with a welded on catback so no emissions

Walperstyle
12-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Well yeah,
Hissing = air intake leak

or its a king cobra
http://www.fordcobraengines.com/images/KingCobra.jpg

If it is a king cobra, make sure to have some really thick leather gloves, and approach with caution.

Walperstyle
12-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Oh also this is an s13 it has had the gr removed and has a header with a welded on catback so no emissions

Did you block off the emissions completely? or just leave it unplugged where the bung is on the stock exhaust?

Timeless513
12-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Its all blocked off. And I'm pretty sure its not a king cobra ill check tomorrow though. I really am stumped I went through 2 mafs and each one does the same. When unplugged it runs fine when the maf is plugged in black smoke because its dumping to much gas.

Dream240
12-19-2009, 05:21 AM
So did you find the intake leak? I'm thinking it's related since you say that the car runs fine without the MAF.

I'm just guessing but maybe the MAF, when plugged in, is trying to regulate the air flow and communicate with the car, but it's having trouble with the amount of air it reads, and the amount of air being used during combustion. The O2 readings must be confusing the hell out of the ECU when the MAF is plugged in since the amount of intake air is confilicting with the exhaust readings. Would help explain why the car runs fine without the MAF....takes one of the factors out of the process, so no conflict.

At least that just my theory.

Walperstyle
12-19-2009, 05:29 AM
yeah maf and afr communication to your ECU. I have to admit, I am not 100% sure on how it all works, but in my situation my emission removal is also coming with an AEM EMS, so I can tell it to shutup if it starts to suck. (in most situations). I'm in the process of a motor build and when I had similar issues with a SOHC KA 240 a few years back, I ended up selling it cheap to buy a truck. (not saying giveup, its probably something simple)

Timeless513
12-19-2009, 02:14 PM
I didn't find any intake leaks at all removed everything and checked all the couplers and the thing that makes me think its ecu related is that it didn't start happening until I put the afc in and then removed it so maybe the afc was telling it hey don't suck as much air and when I removed it, it didn't reset to default and was still not sucking enough air I removed the afc because the car wouldn't start with it in as soon as I pulled it out it started right up but was having said problemo

Timeless513
12-20-2009, 08:06 PM
Do you know if the afc could of had somerthing to do with it

jinesz32
12-20-2009, 08:10 PM
well awhile back when i was ka-t i installed an afc neo as well. cut my ecu wires and wired it up, after i was done with my turbo setup i removed the afc and it wouldn't start, when i plug it back in it would start, removed it and realized it was just a few wires i had to put back together lol.

Timeless513
12-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Well I checked the wires does anyone have a diagram for the ecu pinout I found one a while back but it took me like 2 years of searching

jinesz32
12-21-2009, 01:53 PM
finding a pinout is gonna take awhile lol, did aloooot of searching.

Dream240
12-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Well I checked the wires does anyone have a diagram for the ecu pinout I found one a while back but it took me like 2 years of searching

Here's a website that's been up for years. I've used it repeatedly. Check it out.

Manuals > USDM Cars - Nissan 240SX Performance Tuning (http://www.240edge.com/manuals/usdm-cars.html)

The tab on the left should have the engine you need.

Good luck.