PDA

View Full Version : do it your self?

jojothemonkey
05-27-2003, 08:04 PM
New to Zilvia but have been researching stuff for a little while. I have soome questions about installs and mods. How many of you have done your own eng. swaps? Bolt ons, and things of that nature? And how easy was it? Did you just figure it out as you went or what? I am just trying to get a feel of things till I find a 240 coupe to start on. Thanks for any input.

AceInHole
05-27-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by jojothemonkey
New to Zilvia but have been researching stuff for a little while. I have soome questions about installs and mods. How many of you have done your own eng. swaps? Bolt ons, and things of that nature? And how easy was it? Did you just figure it out as you went or what? I am just trying to get a feel of things till I find a 240 coupe to start on. Thanks for any input.

I for one claim to do everything and anything a hobbyist can possibly do, just short of mounting and balancing tires on wheels, alignments (although... I've done eyeball ones when things have gotten that bad), and welding (for now....).

Stuff I've done includes:
turbocharged the stock engine
swapped out to a newer engine
swapped out almost the entire braking system to much larger components
bodywork (banging out dents and bondo'ing smooth)

It's possible to learn everything as you go along, but that path ends up having you break stuff or doing things incorrectly a million times untill you learn better. it helps IMMENSELY to have someone who has a lot of experience around.

DarkRaptor42
05-27-2003, 09:04 PM
im in the same boat here as ace. done most ofthe same exact stuff and then some. Its not too hard to do and I recommend it. Its a great way to learn about your car. Aeontony can back me up on that.

Maeda
05-27-2003, 09:04 PM
YES!

I've done everything myself as well, however my knowledge hardly rivals that of ace's.

Soon i'll have that turbo done! :(

Right now im experiment with DIY tint job...

adey
05-27-2003, 10:56 PM
I've done everything that's on my car, except tires, clutch, and frame pulling. :D
We all seem to be a DIY bunch! Join the fun!

One tip though -- if you can find someone who's done what you're about to attempt before, it's nice to have them around, even if they just "supervise". You learn faster and with fewe mistakes. The only drawback to that is that it won't teach you patience and tolerence as well working on new stuff all by yourself. Heh heh. It is also a VERY, VERY good idea to invest in a Factory Service Manual (FSM). That's NOT a chiltons, but a Nissan service manual. you can find these on ebay for aobut $70. Enjoy your 240!

Andrew Bohan
05-28-2003, 03:55 PM
i do most things myself. that's the FUN part!

well, driving it is fun too i guess :D

Wei240
05-28-2003, 06:04 PM
It's only fun if you have the correct tools and/or power tools. If you don't have all goodies like me, it can be very aggravating, time consuming and labor intensive... and things can go wrong where you suddenly need parts that you weren't expecting so that means an extra car and extra time spent to buy parts... and then find out the place closes on sundays...arrggghh
But for the most part, I find it to be very therapeutic.

I second the idea of buying a real FSM instead of the chilton's POS that I currently use... I usually find the info I need off of message boards like FA/Zilvia/240sx.org

jojothemonkey
05-28-2003, 06:09 PM
What is wrong with chiltons stuff?

theronin
05-28-2003, 06:28 PM
I am slowly but surely learning that DIY is just rewarding! After i did my VLSD i drove down the road and was like damn i did that by myself! never having to pay for repairs is a great way to save money for upgrades!

so far ive done:
VLSD
Z32 brakes with a master cylinder swap
and all the little everyday stuff ie fluids, and whatnot!

just take it slow make sure you have all the tools you need, and the proper information! YOU CAN DO IT!

Wei240
05-28-2003, 06:33 PM
There's nothing wrong with Chilton's if the only thing you're doing is change the fluids/brakes/other normal maintenance with your car..
I don't have FSM for my car but my bro has one for his 'teg, it's about 3 times thicker and 1,000 times more detailed with better diagrams and descriptions.

Andrew Bohan
05-28-2003, 06:33 PM
chiltons and haynes books have lots of info, but FSMs have ALL the info. and lots of chiltons and haynes tend to cover more than one car and/or more than one year. i have a chiltons that covers '82-'92 stanza, 200sx, and 240sx, us and canadian versions, so most of the info in that book is useless to me

240Degrees
05-28-2003, 06:41 PM
so is this FSM fine?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34229&item=2416608180
I might buy it.

theronin
05-28-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by 240Degrees
so is this FSM fine?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34229&item=2416608180
I might buy it.

if i had a 93 i would buy it! does that help?

240Degrees
05-28-2003, 08:12 PM
yessir! spank you very much :)

DarkRaptor42
05-29-2003, 09:40 AM
It might just be my FSM but it doesnt have the vaccum diagrams, which I think is ridiculous. Does anyone else have this problem?

DarkRaptor42
05-29-2003, 09:40 AM
It might just be my FSM but it doesnt have the vaccum diagrams, which I think is ridiculous. Does anyone else have this problem?