PDA

View Full Version : S14- Very long to Get heater to warm

2slow2go
12-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Hi, lately i noticed that my heater has been taking really long to warm up.

I usually remote start my car for 15 minutes or so until it gets to about normal operating temp. When i get in after that the heater is still cool-> LITTLE slightly warm. After another of 10 or 15 minutes of driving the heater finnally gets warmish. After 10 or so more minutes it finnally gets hot

So what maybe the problem?

Extra info: my engine temp seems to hang a little above the middle of the meter.

i just got a alarm install. Could it have been the technician made a electrical problem like ground for the heater core to not work?

BTW; how do i check if the heater core is leaking, where is it in the s14?

gprb25
12-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Possibly water pump.

I had the same symptoms, heater not working well and temps rising.

you have a KA, right?

2slow2go
12-15-2009, 09:51 PM
yup, previous owner said the waterpump was changed about 2 years ago.. only about 20k miles i think or less

sil80 monster
12-15-2009, 10:15 PM
check your fluid level, and the heater core is not an electrical part, its shaped like a mini radiator....btw its located under the dash

g6civcx
12-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Throw away the thermal transmitter for the coolant temp gauge. It's completely inaccurate. Get a new coolant temp.

The thermostat is probably stuck open.

Rabboni
12-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Dude, recheck your waterpump. They go bad surprisingly often. Two years is plenty of time for your waterpump to go bad. Also Check your thermostat.

ryguy
12-16-2009, 01:53 AM
x2 on the fluid level check, if it's low you might have a crack on the top half of your radiator, it happens when it gets cold out. Did you personally fill the car with coolant or the previous owner?

s14unimog
12-16-2009, 03:02 PM
check the "blender" valve motor. Its down beside the accelerator pedal. Every time you slide the switch between cold and warm it tells that little motor to open and close the valve, to allow coolant flow through the heater core, I've replaced it on my car before. Just have the car on and adjust the temperature while watching that little linkage; you actually have to remove a little plastic cover that protects the linkage from your foot. If it doesn't move then you know that's your problem.

3AM
12-16-2009, 03:03 PM
+1 thermostat stuck open.

2slow2go
12-26-2009, 02:03 PM
so i asked a mechanic, and he said my engine temp is normal so the thermostat is probaly good. The tube for radiator from the waterpump is soft and warm meaning that the waterpump is still good.

the heatercore should be fine since it not leaking any fluids, it tried checking the blender valve but can't really see anything.

what is the plastic part you were talking about S14UNIMOG?

he said i might be that or the switch climate control assembly.

UPDATE- i checked the blender valve, and it seems to be in working condition. it moves back and forward very good.

Mikey444
12-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Well my friend experienced this before in his nissan maxima, turned out his fluid was low. And also with what they said, If the thermostat is constantly open the car may complain about the coolant being to cool or not up to temp. Hence why some folks run no thermostat or a colder thermostat.

fliprayzin240sx
12-27-2009, 02:32 PM
so i asked a mechanic, and he said my engine temp is normal so the thermostat is probaly good. The tube for radiator from the waterpump is soft and warm meaning that the waterpump is still good.

the heatercore should be fine since it not leaking any fluids, it tried checking the blender valve but can't really see anything.

what is the plastic part you were talking about S14UNIMOG?

he said i might be that or the switch climate control assembly.

UPDATE- i checked the blender valve, and it seems to be in working condition. it moves back and forward very good.

Did you check the blender valve if it actually moves on its own when you switch the HVAC from cold to hot and back? I've seen that thing go bad on enough Zenki S14s.

2slow2go
12-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Did you check the blender valve if it actually moves on its own when you switch the HVAC from cold to hot and back? I've seen that thing go bad on enough Zenki S14s.

yah i tried that, the blender valve moves back and forth when i switched from hot to cold.

I checked the inlet tubes through the firewall and it all warm too. So im guessing the problem is in my cabin.

The only thing left is the heater core or my climate control assembly(which i doubt).

more input guys!! thanks

JDM Sil4ty
12-27-2009, 05:14 PM
i have the same problem but mine doesnt even get passed 70 degrees in my cabin .. =(

Ceepo
12-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Try the thermo(get a higher temperature one if you can for the winter) also check the waterpump, i changed my thermo and water pump last winter and my cars heater worked awesome, also check and see if your fan clutch is frozen up, if it has it will always bee at 100% and cool the motor all the time no matter what(also cause worse gas milage)

In the diesels we use at work we run a 190 thermo in winter and a 175ish in the summer so i assume you can get different onse for our cars to lol... i run a nismo one in my car and my heater gets pretty warm fairly quick (just did a sr20det swap, isis rad, 2x electric fans, nismo thermo, isis rad hoses)