PDA

View Full Version : Cts-v rear calipers..what rotors do you use?

urmyhero4now
12-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Like to title says, i've searched and read the whole thread on using cts-v front calipers and evo 8 rotors. ive heard of people using 300zx rear rotors with rear evo 8 calipers. Now what rear rotor would you use on the rear cts-v caliper?

DJPimpFlex
12-12-2009, 06:52 PM
I doubt this has been done very frequently (if ever). You will probably have to fab some brackets or something along those lines to make that work, and for rear brakes, it seems a bit worthless. GLHF

urmyhero4now
12-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Yeah. Ive never actually seen it done. I was hoping someone has tried a test fit or maybe done some measurments between a set of evo rear calipers and a set of cts-v calipers..Im not worried about if its worthless or not. I have my reasons for doing so.

I'm positive brackets are going to have to be made. Would this mean I can pretty much throw any (whatever size rotor it uses 13inch?) not worrying about the offset and work a bracket around that?

Im guessing this is the best method of doing so. I have a 300zx rotor, so I was thinking of getting the offset of that, and finding a caliper that matches closest to that, or even using one.

DJPimpFlex
12-12-2009, 07:01 PM
yea if you had custom brackets made you could make it fit any size and offset of rotors (taking into consideration the wheels your putting them under). Ebrake would have to be fabed up as well (or hydraulic if your into drifting).

What are your reasons for attempting such an extensive project?

urmyhero4now
12-12-2009, 07:21 PM
yea if you had custom brackets made you could make it fit any size and offset of rotors (taking into consideration the wheels your putting them under). Ebrake would have to be fabed up as well (or hydraulic if your into drifting).

What are your reasons for attempting such an extensive project?

These are actually going on a VIP build and for the style of the front and rear calipers, they aesthetically compliment the 19 inch wheels. I don't think the e brake should be too much of an issue, being the car is an automatic(and I cant remember the last time I actually used the e brake).

The reason I'm asking here, is because the car I am putting these on shares the same suspension as the s13/s14/z32/r32 in many aspects.

MrMcgarrett
12-12-2009, 07:35 PM
The stock CTS-V rear rotors are huge.
365mm x 28mm.
G37S and 370Z rear rotors are 350mm x 20mm.
Those might work with some shims behind the pads to move them in closer and make up for the extra 8mm.

urmyhero4now
12-12-2009, 07:44 PM
The stock CTS-V rear rotors are huge.
365mm x 28mm.
G37S and 370Z rear rotors are 350mm x 20mm.
Those might work with some shims behind the pads to move them in closer and make up for the extra 8mm.

hmm..so your saying something like 4mm washers on both pads to push them out? Would it make sense to run a set of rear brembo pads off of, say the 350z,g35, evo, sti rear calipers? Because I know they are all 2pot and I think even though the casing/mold of the caliper is different the pads might be the same.

MrMcgarrett
12-12-2009, 07:59 PM
I would trace the pad on some 4mm thick metal and cut them out so they are the same size as the pads and can go on the pins so they stay in place.
Those pads won't work as the CTSV rear calipers are 4 piston and use a bigger pad.

urmyhero4now
12-12-2009, 08:04 PM
I would trace the pad on some 4mm thick metal and cut them out so they are the same size as the pads and can go on the pins so they stay in place.
Those pads won't work as the CTSV rear calipers are 4 piston and use a bigger pad.

MMmm..Great Idea. Thank you Mr Mcgarrett. You have been of great help.:bigok:

MrMcgarrett
12-12-2009, 08:50 PM
No problem.
I planned on doing the same thing haha.

urmyhero4now
12-12-2009, 09:09 PM
No problem.
I planned on doing the same thing haha.

Ok. Front rotors would be evo 8. Rears are 370z. From what Im getting that will be a 13.8" rear rotor and 12.6" front? I cant imagine finding a front rotor that will be in the 14" upward unless its the 370z. fronts. I might not be converting the right numbers, but I'm getting 355mm x 32mm

Cadillac Cts-v
Front Brake Rotor Diam x Thickness (in) 14.0 x 1.25(31.75mm)
Rear Brake Rotor Diam x Thickness (in) 14.3 x 1.10(27.94mm)

Nissan 370z
Front Brake Rotor Diam x Thickness (mm) 355 x 32mm on Akebono calipers.......so fronts are smaller by .25mm
Rear Brake Rotor Diam x Thickness (mm) 350 x 20mm on Akebono calipers........We already spoke on these off by about 8mm

Def
12-12-2009, 09:23 PM
I know this is some crazy out of the box thinking, but why not move the CTS-V rear calipers up front and your EVO rotors in the rear?

Just do some calculations and see if your brake balance will still be acceptable(+/- 5% bias difference on an axle usually). I should hope you know how to do this if you're talking about making brake caliper adapters.

urmyhero4now
12-12-2009, 09:37 PM
I know this is some crazy out of the box thinking, but why not move the CTS-V rear calipers up front and your EVO rotors in the rear?

Just do some calculations and see if your brake balance will still be acceptable(+/- 5% bias difference on an axle usually). I should hope you know how to do this if you're talking about making brake caliper adapters.

I don't really understand what you are saying? Your hella out the box on this one lol.

I'm fully capable of making these brackets. That seems like the easiest part of this package right now. Check the post above i just updated with some info.

MrMcgarrett
12-12-2009, 09:48 PM
I think he's saying that a bigger rotor in the rear will throw off the brake balance.
I don't think a 1.2in bigger rotor in the rear is a good idea lol.
You could probably run the G37/370Z front rotor and it would be a lot better.
Since you're making the brackets it should be pretty easy.

urmyhero4now
12-12-2009, 10:03 PM
I think he's saying that a bigger rotor in the rear will throw off the brake balance.
I don't think a 1.2in bigger rotor in the rear is a good idea lol.
You could probably run the G37/370Z front rotor and it would be a lot better.
Since you're making the brackets it should be pretty easy.

Yea I was looking at the measurements for the front 370z rotors and they are identical to the cts-v rotors.

I posted the specs in the post right above Def. I get what he was saying now.

Def
12-13-2009, 09:57 PM
I don't really understand what you are saying? Your hella out the box on this one lol.

I'm fully capable of making these brackets. That seems like the easiest part of this package right now. Check the post above i just updated with some info.

Brake bias... look it up brotato.

Should have figured on Zilvia... :smash::smash::smash:

codyace
12-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Brake bias... look it up brotato.

hahah bro

FWIW: Member GSRacer used Cadillac CTSV Front Calipers on the Front of his S14.

redline racer510
12-15-2009, 05:33 PM
I had z32 brake all the way around with front 350z track rotor upgrade and it stops the car faster than anything I have ever driven. your setup is kind of overkill unless your just doing it for looks which i think what most people are going for.