PDA

View Full Version : 4 to 5 lug adapters

skmcbride
05-26-2003, 10:02 PM
Anybody ever seen or used these and are they worth it, pros/cons?

http://www.speedalliance.com/images_on_main_page/hub_adapters.jpg

Thanks, Keith

misnomer
05-26-2003, 10:25 PM
It is basically a (fairly wide) spacer. You will need to take it into account in the offset of whatever wheels you are going to put on them. Given how simple they are, the only drawback I see is additional rotating mass, any other comments?

adey
05-26-2003, 10:27 PM
I don't see how they connect to the stock 4 lugs/hub. lugs are splined going through the hub, so you can't screw them into the back like that... what am I missing?

edit: Wait a second, so you have to unbolt/bolt the thing together yourself? So first you torque down the 4-lug side to the hub, then you bolt the 5-lug side onto the 4-lug side, then mount the wheel and torque it down? ... wow. Long process... if I'm right that is. I guess it's hard to do any other way, but... still.

misnomer
05-26-2003, 10:31 PM
This is speculation because it's been a while since I last took off my rotors, but it looks like there are two peices to this thing. The front goes over the lugs, the back is attached to the other side of the hub using those hex bolts? Maybe? Possibly?

Tekryder
05-26-2003, 11:12 PM
I would rock em. They look decent. It should be good for me since Im planin to go Widebody anyways.

AKADriver
05-27-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by adey
edit: Wait a second, so you have to unbolt/bolt the thing together yourself? So first you torque down the 4-lug side to the hub, then you bolt the 5-lug side onto the 4-lug side, then mount the wheel and torque it down? ... wow. Long process... if I'm right that is. I guess it's hard to do any other way, but... still.

Looks like it to me. That's about the only way they could make a 4-to-5 lug adapter safely. Not really a problem, since you only need to remove the adapter when you replace rotors or otherwise need to disassemble the spindle.

Dousan_PG
05-27-2003, 09:40 AM
i wouldnt use those. but that's just me. i dont feel safe w/ a converter. im sure it is but...i recall someone's breaking due to either not checking or poor quality

just get the real 5 lug conversion and be done. if you only have 2 wheels you like go w/ the dope 20 lug (4 lug front 5 lug rear or vise versa) conversion :) best of both worlds

TheSparo
05-27-2003, 10:41 AM
how much are they?:confused:

skmcbride
05-27-2003, 02:56 PM
I think they are around $180.00. I like the idea of the added offset and the abundance of 5 lug wheel choices. I can't quite make out how they attach to the existing 4 lug given the thickness. Even if it is 2 pieces the inner section would need to carry the 4 lug thread and a counter sunk lug nut before outer portion is attached. What am I missing?
Thanks, Keith

mrmephistopheles
05-27-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by dousan36
i recall someone's breaking due to either not checking or poor quality

Wayne from Phase2 had that happen to him.

YellwMonky
05-30-2003, 01:56 PM
I just found out that those converters space the wheels out by 45mm. If I were to get these converters, i would put on the s14 stock SE rims. If I used these converters, would even the stock rims stick out from the fender? Or would they be flush?

Dousan_PG
05-30-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by YellwMonky
I just found out that those converters space the wheels out by 45mm. If I were to get these converters, i would put on the s14 stock SE rims. If I used these converters, would even the stock rims stick out from the fender? Or would they be flush?

stick out!!
stock is +40
you'd make the offset -5
yikes!