PDA

View Full Version : VS-XX wheel nut/bolts?

babowc
12-12-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm trying to take apart my VS-XX to refurbish and I can't find a socket that fits the bolts on the face of the wheel..

I know it's a 12pt Xmm socket, I tried 8mm but its too big..

does anyone know what size they are?
thanks!

Slammed180
12-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Weird. For my Meister's I used a 12p 8mm. I would think Work would keep the bolts consistent between wheels.

babowc
12-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Really?.. I tried using my 1/2" 12pt 8mm socket and it didnt fit.. damnnnnnnnn..

Katsumbhong
12-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Really?.. I tried using my 1/2" 12pt 8mm socket and it didnt fit.. damnnnnnnnn..

Why are you using SAE sockets for wheels that weren't made in the USA????

babowc
12-12-2009, 11:42 AM
What?

1/2" 12pt 8mm socket.

ratchet size, # of points on the socket, socket size.

ZenkiOne
12-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Why are you using SAE sockets for wheels that weren't made in the USA????

u must have a lot of strip nuts/bolt on your 240.....

i used the same size on my Works-VS Mesh and it fit, my nephew has a set of VSXX i'll check what size and post back

xdumbxguyx
12-12-2009, 12:13 PM
its 8mm 12pt
ive used 5/16 with no problem as well

Katsumbhong
12-12-2009, 12:18 PM
What?

1/2" 12pt 8mm socket.

ratchet size, # of points on the socket, socket size.

scanning text thwarts my efforts once again.

babowc
12-12-2009, 12:47 PM
lol^

I'm gonna go home and try that 8mm 12pt socket again..
weird...

redline racer510
12-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Dude I would take those wheels to an authorized rebuilder if you have the money.

Slammed180
12-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Dude I would take those wheels to an authorized rebuilder if you have the money.

Why?
I refurbished my own wheels no problem.

xdumbxguyx
12-13-2009, 12:18 AM
oh try using a 3/8" drive 1/2" youd be having a hard time since its going to get pretty close to the lip

redline racer510
12-13-2009, 10:56 AM
So you can collect money from the shop that rebuilt them if anything happens, lol

babowc
12-13-2009, 10:59 AM
oh try using a 3/8" drive 1/2" youd be having a hard time since its going to get pretty close to the lip

the 1/2" drive actually fit between the lip and the bolt, it just didn't get on there.. i didn't get to do anything last night.

does anyone else know?

and I'm not gonna be repairing anything, just cleaning and painting the centers and polishing the lips.. I don't see what could possibly go wrong.

Slammed180
12-13-2009, 11:03 AM
I used a 3/8" drive 12pt 8mm socket for the meisters. 1/2" wouldn't fit.

And you'll be fine doing your own wheels. I completely disassembled mine, powdercoated everything, and reassembled with no problems.

babowc
12-13-2009, 03:27 PM
yeah, exactly.
only thing i'd be concerned is the sealant since it's 3pc, but i'm not disassembling the barrels.
anyhow.. I'll give that a try after dinner.

babowc
12-14-2009, 05:26 PM
oh it was a 9mm socket i had..
lol no fuckin wonder.

going out to get an 8mm socket tonight.

Tearlessj
12-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Just curious, what do all you guys use to seal your wheels? What torque and pattern do you tighten it to?

5t341tH
12-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Just curious, what do all you guys use to seal your wheels? What torque and pattern do you tighten it to?
I use regular general purpose silicone i bought at walmart. seals quite fine, plus its 2 bucks. or you could buy the permatex brand for 17 bucks....
torque 4 corners first and after that, any pattern is fine

i used a 15/16" 12 point socket on my nuts :D
btw, anyone know where to get the new hardware for cheap?

Slammed180
12-15-2009, 09:28 PM
It is good to add some form of lock-tite. I used the blue stuff.

Can't remember what torque I set it to though. I should probably re-check that I torqued them right.

Also, after applying new silicone, wait AT LEAST 24 hrs before mounting a tire on it.

babowc
12-16-2009, 06:20 PM
aw shit..
i took apart the wheels thinking i can just take apart the face and not have to reseal it..
as soon as i undid the face, PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTT and air just fizzed out.. fuuck.
tires are on there too :(

what a pita.

5t341tH
12-17-2009, 02:02 AM
aw shit..
i took apart the wheels thinking i can just take apart the face and not have to reseal it..
as soon as i undid the face, PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTT and air just fizzed out.. fuuck.
tires are on there too :(

what a pita.
wtf no shit. you did it with the tire still mounted and aired up??
what do you think goes between the face and barrels?

babowc
12-17-2009, 09:15 AM
na.. I took as much air out as I could until the it didnt make the air escapingsound but yeah, the tires were still mounted.

fook me.

fckillerbee
12-17-2009, 09:42 AM
na.. I took as much air out as I could until the it didnt make the air escapingsound but yeah, the tires were still mounted.

fook me.

that's gotta be the dumbest thing ever...what were you going to do once you had it unbolted...the tire is still stuck to the rim?:tweak:

fckillerbee
12-17-2009, 09:44 AM
the 1/2" drive actually fit between the lip and the bolt, it just didn't get on there.. i didn't get to do anything last night.

does anyone else know?

and I'm not gonna be repairing anything, just cleaning and painting the centers and polishing the lips.. I don't see what could possibly go wrong.

lmao.....I read this after the air came out of the tire....lol. well bolt it back together....if you can..and take it to a tire shop to dismount. should be fine though.

blueshark123
12-17-2009, 10:20 AM
I use regular general purpose silicone i bought at walmart. seals quite fine, plus its 2 bucks. or you could buy the permatex brand for 17 bucks....

Jus tighten across each bolt in x patern if u understand what i mean lol. but what torque spec???

gsracer
12-17-2009, 11:16 AM
i posted a thread on this a few years ago and got flamed for asking what torque spec, everyone insisted and i quote "its a pile of fucking bolts and two pieces of metal just bolt it together"

Having said that, i called the work distributor at the time and they told me for my work meisters 15-20 ftlbs of torque and to use blue locktite.

blueshark123
12-17-2009, 11:20 AM
i posted a thread on this a few years ago and got flamed for asking what torque spec, everyone insisted and i quote "its a pile of fucking bolts and two pieces of metal just bolt it together"

Having said that, i called the work distributor at the time and they told me for my work meisters 15-20 ftlbs of torque and to use blue locktite.

thanks a million ur the man

babowc
12-17-2009, 05:31 PM
thank you gsracer..

and i didn't assume the silicone would tear that easily and i also didnt think that air would still be remaining in the tire enough to cause a tear in the silicone.. stupid me.

well, since they're 3pc, i'll try to take the tires off the hard way and see if it seperates from the barrels... or shouuuullld i, lol.

malady
06-23-2010, 10:55 PM
so what is the exact size of the vsxx bolt

m8x32??

GSXRJJordan
06-24-2010, 12:14 AM

Wheel companies hide their silicone sealant more closely than they hide their design files. At Savini Forged, we used this white stuff they flew in from Switzerland by the pallet at about $10/tube (in bulk). Make sure the sealant you use can handle moisture, heat, and cold.

We torqued our M8 bolts (12mm head) to 18ft-lbs, if you use M6 or M7 hardware should probably stop at 15ft-lbs.

Cheap stuff will leak, period. Keep checking those tire pressures. Torque pattern sounds fine. Be more specific as far as hardware, since each wheel manufacturer has different sizes (and sometimes the same manufacturer will change sizes with different lines).

It is good to add some form of lock-tite. I used the blue stuff.

Can't remember what torque I set it to though. I should probably re-check that I torqued them right.

Also, after applying new silicone, wait AT LEAST 24 hrs before mounting a tire on it.

Yes! Blue loctite and WAIT 24 HRS before airing it up, it'll develop a slow leak if you rush it. God I dealt with that shit alllllll the time lol.

gsracer
06-24-2010, 12:34 AM
so what is the exact size of the vsxx bolt

m8x32??

if you need them you can get them here

http://workwheelsonline.com/assembly-bolts.html

chituntang
06-24-2010, 02:36 AM
GSXRJJordan:

Since we are on this topic, I took my SSR Longchamp apart and broke 1 bolt. Where/how much is the replacement (and if I can get one). Also, when I got these wheels, one of them has the valve stem missing. How much for the replacement? They use the 90 degree ones. To the final question, do/will regular tire shops replace rubber seals on the valve stems? I had to torch my wheels to take the face off and I did burn them rubbers...

Thanks

GSXRJJordan
06-24-2010, 03:41 AM
GSXRJJordan:

Since we are on this topic, I took my SSR Longchamp apart and broke 1 bolt. Where/how much is the replacement (and if I can get one). Also, when I got these wheels, one of them has the valve stem missing. How much for the replacement? They use the 90 degree ones. To the final question, do/will regular tire shops replace rubber seals on the valve stems? I had to torch my wheels to take the face off and I did burn them rubbers...

Thanks

Don't know where to get SSR bolts, I'd suggest asking SSR (or a large dealer).

90* stems come in many lengths, and can be bought online I'm guessing (the company I worked for had 3 lengths), measure out the long section and get searching.

Lastly, tire shops do stock valve stems, but whether or not they have the rubber pieces separately is the question.

malady
06-24-2010, 10:18 AM
if you need them you can get them here

Assembly Bolts (http://workwheelsonline.com/assembly-bolts.html)

thanks. but those are too expensive for me i just need the proper measurement so i can buy them elsewhere

GSXRJJordan
06-24-2010, 03:53 PM
thanks. but those are too expensive for me i just need the proper measurement so i can buy them elsewhere

Although those are a little pricey by anyones standards, there's a reason to use good bolts... They break! The stress is never evenly spread across all the bolts, especially as the wheels age and become less circular. Make sure you're getting SAE grade 8 or metric 10.9 or better.