PDA

View Full Version : Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge

warauto
12-03-2009, 02:27 PM

JEDIs13
12-03-2009, 02:42 PM
why the fuck do you keep making the most useless threads?

orion::S14
12-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Most replies here would be somebody saying "My buddy drove with only a quart of M1 and his motor lasted...!".

Nothing substantial, other than who bought into what marketing hype.

That said, you need ot look at oils over at "Bob is the oil guy", "BITOG"...they are into oils like we are into S-chassis'.

See here for a little EDGE info:

Castrol EDGE is supposed to be on a higher tier than Castrol Syntec which is why it costs so much. However, there is a $10/$15 Mail In Rebate with EDGE that's going on until 12/15.

I can tell you this though, EDGE 5w-30 barely makes it as a 30 weight.

Pennzoil Platinum vs. Castrol Edge - Bob Is The Oil Guy (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1693388)

Edge sounds thin to me, probably not that great under high temps.

...and they are saying it for a longer change interval, not necessarily better protection under hard use.

- Brian

garagelu
12-03-2009, 04:26 PM
I have Castrol Edge in my sr20 right now. First time using it and bought it partially because of the 10 dollar rebate and partially because I heard its a good oil.

Even if Edge is a good oil, I have had nothing but good luck with mobil 1 oils so my next oil change will be back on mobil 1 I think. The only other oil I am cosidering right now is amsoil. My local dealer said he will sell to me for about 7.30 a quart. If mobil 1 was at its regular prices, amsoil isn't that much more.

I love the amsoil trans fluid I have in my car right now, so I would like to go to amsoil motor oil.

warauto
12-03-2009, 04:59 PM
why the fuck do you keep making the most useless threads?

JEDIs13
12-03-2009, 05:05 PM
If oil is useless, your a jackass

never said oil was useless.
but all your threads are.

cops hate 240's - we know, its like saying cops hate drug dealers
cai for an sr20 - come on now.. really??
leds, are they advantageous?? - do your fucking research

and now this one. if your gonna ask a legit question maybe just ask what oil people are using and for what motor. not whats better mobile 1 or castrol edge.

i mean shit you have been on this forum for a year longer than i have and i know better than to ask some stupid shit like that

warauto
12-03-2009, 06:06 PM

bardabe
12-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Stop fucking around with cheap oil, Run Motul Econergy 5W30 and be done with it, fuck everything else on the market

unless its motul 300V

orion::S14
12-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Since this thread is going off on a tangent, somewhat...let me tell you which READILY AVAILABLE and reasonably cheap oils are the best, for a SPORTS CAR.

German Castrol (0w30)...it's more like a 40wt, and a GREAT oil.

Mobil 1 10w40 'high mileage'.

Read here about GC: FAQ - GC ( German Castrol ) - Bob Is The Oil Guy (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=718643)

We all should want oils that can withstand high temps without breaking down, and without losing viscosity. Many synthetics are thin for their weight (regular M1 10w30)...and you don't want that.

[/end thread]

- Brian

GripTerror
12-03-2009, 07:15 PM
amsoil.. they know whats good for u

S14DB
12-03-2009, 07:17 PM
I love the amsoil trans fluid I have in my car right now, so I would like to go to amsoil motor oil.

Yah I love the gear oil. But, until I save up and get a bypass oil filter system I can't see spending the money on the motor oil. 15k oil changes are where it's at.

Stop fucking around with cheap oil, Run Motul Econergy 5W30 and be done with it, fuck everything else on the market

unless its motul 300V

I wouldn't use a energy efficient motor oil in a turbo motor. CHRA destroys the additive package.

warauto
12-03-2009, 07:18 PM

s13 @ fullboost
12-03-2009, 07:24 PM
I want Amsoil, noone sells it down here....i could be lieing though

order it on ebay haha

warauto
12-03-2009, 07:35 PM

s13 @ fullboost
12-03-2009, 07:42 PM
buy it from amsoil directly I promise you they will not piss in it.

S14DB
12-03-2009, 08:06 PM
I want Amsoil, noone sells it down here....i could be lieing though
AMSOIL Dealer Locator (http://www.amsoil.com/dealerlocatorresults/)
AMSOIL Online Store - Synthetic Oil, Lubricants, Air Filters, Oil Filters Gear Oil (http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/default.aspx)

warauto
12-03-2009, 08:12 PM
AMSOIL Dealer Locator (http://www.amsoil.com/dealerlocatorresults/)
AMSOIL Online Store - Synthetic Oil, Lubricants, Air Filters, Oil Filters Gear Oil (http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/default.aspx)

JayDee M Rolly
12-03-2009, 08:24 PM
what do you guys recommend for a KA with 170k miles, burning oil...

S14DB
12-03-2009, 08:35 PM
what do you guys recommend for a KA with 170k miles, burning oil...

Castrol GTX

redline racer510
12-03-2009, 09:41 PM
lol when i used to work for mercedes, mobile 1 is the cheap alternative, we would use this stuff called pentosin(best oil ever IMO)this stuff is unreal after using it twice on my 240 my oil comes out a bit darker than when i put it in and it quiets the valvetrain the best by far. I used castrol gtx mobil1, mobile 1 european,royol purple etc this is the best if you can afford it. as far as castrol edge it doesnt hurt 2 try lol

warauto
12-03-2009, 11:58 PM

xpertsnowcarver
12-04-2009, 12:25 AM
http://aroyalpain.com/files/2009/08/dipstick1.jpg

May be played out... but I just had to beat someone to it. Haha.

Chrischeezer
12-04-2009, 02:54 AM
Mobil 1 has been consistent over the years, no funky additives or claims.

AMSOIL IS TERRIBLE, just great marketing.
-every car that i have seen on AMSOIL has suffered from catastrophic failure, Gear oil, tranny problems, engine oil, spun bearings, head noise, piston noise.
there was a site amsoilsucks.com, its shut down now, but it was filled with horror stories.

*The real point is, WHY would you change oil unless your having a problem, The most important thing with engine oil is consistency. If its working for you now, what is the point of changing to something else.
in my eyes engine oil is the most important thing, you must know how its going to perform.

with that said... MOBIL 1 FOR LIFE!!
20w50 in my sr20
15w50 in my rb26

smelly240
12-04-2009, 07:14 AM
mobil1 is not bad - but its not the best.

German Castrol, Valvoline VR1, and Pennzoil Platinum are all testing better though.

I been running the vr1 20w50 mixed with 10w30 for a few weeks - we'll see how the UOA looks (mine are always horrible)

warauto
12-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Mobil 1 has been consistent over the years, no funky additives or claims.

AMSOIL IS TERRIBLE, just great marketing.
-every car that i have seen on AMSOIL has suffered from catastrophic failure, Gear oil, tranny problems, engine oil, spun bearings, head noise, piston noise.
there was a site amsoilsucks.com, its shut down now, but it was filled with horror stories.

*The real point is, WHY would you change oil unless your having a problem, The most important thing with engine oil is consistency. If its working for you now, what is the point of changing to something else.
in my eyes engine oil is the most important thing, you must know how its going to perform.

with that said... MOBIL 1 FOR LIFE!!
20w50 in my sr20
15w50 in my rb26

Wow, your one of the few people that I know that thinks Amsoil sucks.....personally i haven't used it before, but all I have heard good things about it. The older guys love it "OLDER GUYS" that is pretty must self explanitory, I went to a shop last night to watch a fully built sr'ed s13 being dynoed. After a couple pulls, I saw the owner of the shop and asked him what kind of oil he's running and what he thinks about mobil 1. He said "AMSOIL is the shit, Mobil 1 is shit, get good oil it's your engines food." And then I asked how much did the car make and he said 780 HP.
I almost shit my pants.

warauto
12-04-2009, 06:07 PM
No more threads from me

voodoo_child
12-04-2009, 06:52 PM
i used CASTROL SYNTEC before never had problems with it. then i switch to TORCO....great oil....but right now im using MOTUL coz thats what they sell here at the shop great oil too. just maintain your car regularly and u should be ok.

bardabe
12-04-2009, 07:33 PM
I never personally had a Problem with Mobil 1, I just hated the fact that it got so thin so fast

I lost an Engine to Royal Purple
I lost 2 trannies to Amsoil
I had Loud Lifters with Redline

My tranny shifted very nice with Motul,
My Engine ran smooth and no noises with Motul
My Oil was changed Every 3K miles with Motul and didn't look like water unlike mobil 1

Motul Logo Looks cool, and i got a kick ass licence plate frame from using their oil.

my SR20 Ran Amsoil
My other SR20 Ran Redline
My RB20 ran Motul
My 4G63 Ran Mobil 1
one of my VQ30's ran Royal Purple
and My other VG30 Ran Motul
My Current KA is Running Rotella and so far its treating me great
my Next High performance Engine is definetly getting Motul Oil, and Mobil 1 Filter

ka24delover
12-04-2009, 07:42 PM
any syntec oil good for me but i use mobil 1 more

Chrischeezer
12-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Wow, your one of the few people that I know that thinks Amsoil sucks.....personally i haven't used it before, but all I have heard good things about it. The older guys love it "OLDER GUYS" that is pretty must self explanitory, I went to a shop last night to watch a fully built sr'ed s13 being dynoed. After a couple pulls, I saw the owner of the shop and asked him what kind of oil he's running and what he thinks about mobil 1. He said "AMSOIL is the shit, Mobil 1 is shit, get good oil it's your engines food." And then I asked how much did the car make and he said 780 HP.
I almost shit my pants.

so.... old guys use it? :bowrofl:

my friends 1200hp evo runs mobil 1 and his 1000hp supra ( street car) uses mobil1
(with out using technical data littered buy the highest bidder)
my point was, why change oil unless your having a problem.
I have had bad experiences with amsoil.

mobil 1 has a great reputation, its used in race motors as well as street motors. It has the durability to take anything you can through at it, and its been the same for 10 billion years,
-amsoil reps. travel the area and SELL their products.

mobil needs no sales pitch.
You're not going to see a Formula 1 or a jgtc car car using amsoil ! lol...they'll be using mobil racing oils

http://www.japanesesportcars.com/galleries/data/media/155/lexus_sc_430_JGTC.jpg

on a side note, i have seen royal purple make 8 more HP on a DYNO, but i would never depend on it.

S14DB
12-05-2009, 09:16 AM
mobil needs no sales pitch.
You're not going to see a Formula 1 or a jgtc car car using amsoil ! lol...they'll be using mobil racing oils

on a side note, i have seen royal purple make 8 more HP on a DYNO, but i would never depend on it.
Sponsorship is a hell of a drug...

Tantwoforty
12-05-2009, 01:06 PM
royal purple?

D.Adams
12-05-2009, 02:03 PM
i use royal purple in all my cars. same with the royal purple oil filter if i cant get a royal purple oil filter i use K&N. mobile1 is one of the best oils out there. My uncle had a contract with mobile1 to run it in all his ez-lubes. we went to a test facility and watch them run it against valvoline and it beat it hands down. Mobile1 - eneos - royal purple are some of the top quality oils around. there is allot of R&D put into mobile1 and they hold some of the bigest sponsorships in auto raicing.

sacco sideways
12-05-2009, 03:23 PM
i have put mobil 1 in every vehicle i have ever owned. from trucks to race cars, and have never had any problems.

warauto
12-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Mobil 1 it is again.....