PDA

View Full Version : frabricating a custom radiator resevior tank

FRpilot
05-23-2003, 12:02 PM
i thought i posted this yesterday but i can't seem to find it today through searching and checking the first 2 pages of the tech and chat sections.. anyways.

is it possible to fabricate a radiator resevior tank out of any commercially available oil catch tank like greddy's or cuscos oil catch tanks? there's no real function of the radaitor reservior tank except to hold excess water/coolant right? or do you need it to be a certain size? my old reservior tank is kinda cracked and leaking so i was wondering if i can just make one with some earl's ss lines and fitting with the cusco tank. thanks for the help..

mrmephistopheles
05-23-2003, 03:08 PM
a buddy of mine used a water bottle for his for like... almost 2 years.
i suggest using a 2 liter bottle of mt dew code red. I noticed a 14hp and 12ft-lb gain when i simply added a mt dew code red can to my engine bay! (ppl who have seen under my hood know what i'm talkin' bout

Dousan_PG
05-23-2003, 03:17 PM
i found gatorade works better.
it gives the car back more then water...er...

yeah do the container (homemade) if you aretight on cash
otherwise there's cusco, greddy, uras..etc etc etc...so many. run about $100+ depend on brand

i think PDM sells one too..www.pdm-racing.com

allmotorKA
05-23-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by FRpilot
...is it possible to fabricate a radiator resevior tank out of any commercially available oil catch tank like greddy's or cuscos oil catch tanks? there's no real function of the radaitor reservior tank except to hold excess water/coolant right?...

The coolant overflow tank must have the overflow tube connection submerged...look at how your stock overflow tank is configured and you will see that the tube connection is at the bottom of the overflow tank. This prevents air from being drawn into the radiator during cool down.

misnomer
05-23-2003, 11:26 PM
This is true, but a tube sticking down into a bottle from the top is functionally no different than the tube connected to the side. Just make sure it ahs enough capacity to take on more coolant or suck coolant up as needed. I don't figger you'll go more than a few cups up or down.

FRpilot
05-24-2003, 01:29 AM
thanks for the replies guys.. actually.. the tube on the side of the pdm catch tank was only for 'viewing' how much oil the can has collected. i dont think i can attach a line to the side tube unless i buy a t connector, take out that black L connector, and connect a stainless steel line to the side tube. i'll have to think of someway to submerge the line from the top of the can to the bottom of the can. shouldn't be that hard of a dyi project.

transient
05-24-2003, 11:56 AM
The best way to do it with that one from pdm is to take off the top "L" and seal up the hole where it connected to the can. Then you can attatch the line right to the clear section there.

oberkill
05-24-2003, 02:50 PM
Why not just buy a aftermarket radiator catch can? Tons of companies make them for $50 and under. www.summitracing.com under the cooling section then under radiators and accesories.... or here is one of the many on that page:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM%2D300100

Alan

transient
05-24-2003, 04:53 PM
lol, that makes things a bit easier now doesn't it? :)

oberkill
05-24-2003, 05:00 PM
LOL.... Pretty much. Here is the one I am thinking I am going to get:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=34870&from=MG

Its a little more expensive but seems it would work better in our application. Also look like it would be easier to mount in the 240. I'll let you guys know how it works out! Engine will be going back in next week and all my cool parts that have been laying around for the past year will finally get dirty! LOL

Alan