PDA

View Full Version : blown head gasket??

marcobleedsblue
12-02-2009, 02:38 PM
ok well my coolant resovoir bottle is blowing out smoke and bubbling im thinking the head gasket is blown... any ideas??

wings_s13
12-02-2009, 03:01 PM
ok?? o u want help.. but give little to no info>_< u NEED more infor. how did it happen? how long? when did u notice? dose it run hot? hows your oil look? hows the coolent look? all that and alot more.. please if u want help give info.

Ceepo
12-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Sounds like it could be, again tho we need more info car, motor, does the oil have signs of coolant or coolant have signs of oil in it, car smoke white?

fcdrifter20
12-02-2009, 03:17 PM
a little more info plz. so that we can assist u a bit bettr

brian3676
12-02-2009, 07:55 PM
If that your only symptoms i would look into a new radiator cap befor replacing the headgasket

slider2828
12-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Man come on it ain't rocket science here... Blown head gasket would cause water and oil mixture... Is your oil and coolant clean? That will tell you a lot. Secondly just do a leakdown test and a compression test as well. Did you bleed your system properly? Have you ever changed your coolant.

If it is boiling over, make sure you have a work radiator cap... Has your TStat been changed ever? Has your waterpump ever been changed?

brian3676
12-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Man come on it ain't rocket science here... Blown head gasket would cause water and oil mixture... Is your oil and coolant clean? That will tell you a lot. Secondly just do a leakdown test and a compression test as well. Did you bleed your system properly? Have you ever changed your coolant.

If it is boiling over, make sure you have a work radiator cap... Has your TStat been changed ever? Has your waterpump ever been changed?

Your definitely not a rocket scientist, that is ONE of the many ways a HG can blow and is only 1 sign of a blown HG, more then 1/2 the time a HG blows it will never have coolant/oil mixture

marcobleedsblue
12-03-2009, 06:53 PM
ok its a sohc ka umm never changed cooloant.. got a new radiator cap that didnt fix it.. it doenst overheat the smoke is white.. obviously.. it happens wen the car gets to operating temp.. and it idles high 4 some reason like around 1500-1900 rpm.. then it goes down.. its wierd.. ill do a compression test and a leakdown test soon..

marcobleedsblue
12-03-2009, 06:55 PM
wat does the T-stat and the water pump have to do with that? jw..

marcobleedsblue
12-03-2009, 08:06 PM
well i did a compression test i got around 140 on all cylinders.. i let it warm up with the radiator cap off and theres no bubbles.. BUT theres smoke coming up out of the radiator... ????

slider2828
12-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Your definitely not a rocket scientist, that is ONE of the many ways a HG can blow and is only 1 sign of a blown HG, more then 1/2 the time a HG blows it will never have coolant/oil mixture

Its the most common.... but hence that is why I asked about tstat and cap and coolant flush.... Also compression and leakdown testing.... its said in that thread...

s14unimog
12-04-2009, 01:14 PM
I blew the headgasket on my SR once by breaching a water jacket. Every time I would turn the car on I would see excessive coolant pressure. IF you have the same problem, I recommend you remove the radiator pressure cap and start the car. If you have air bubbles con't coming out, along with coolant, then you sir have a blown headgasket. A sure fire way to know is always a leakdown test. Smoke just might mean, the bubbles are happening out of sight, i.e. low coolant.

GL, do that leak down!

marcobleedsblue
12-04-2009, 05:56 PM
ok like i said smoke comes from the radiator wen i take off the cap.. now today the car started running like shit.. it smells like its burning something and it sounds like a vw bug!! LOL