PDA

View Full Version : clutch removal/install ?

91CRXsiR
05-23-2003, 06:20 AM
all i have is the atricle on 240sx.org .. is that enough? also it says that i should change my clutch master/slave cylinders? is this nessescary?

how difficult is this task? i heard that the bell housing nuts are really hard to take off whats the torque rating on it? 5 billion?!

mrmephistopheles
05-23-2003, 09:39 AM
That writeup SHOULD be enough for you. The problem is, by the time you're mechanically inclined enough to do a clutch job, the only written things you need are torque specs and such. It's a great idea to have an FSM handy in these matters.

Changing the master & slave is good PM if you have high mileage (which if you're changing your clutch, you probably do), but if they were working beforehand, you probably don't HAVE to.

The bellhousing bolts aren't too terrible as long as you have proper tools (like 3' extension with wobbles, etc). Possession of proper tools will determine length of job. With insufficient or improper tools, it'll take alot longer than with good/proper tools.

240SxTYLE
05-23-2003, 11:04 PM
i would say the pivotting sockets would be a must. the top bolts on top of the bell housing are hard to get to with a straight ratchet. but once you get the tranny down, its a breeze from there. took me and a friend about four hours with the pivotting sockets set, first tiem doing it, and minor problems.

sorry to steal the thread, but i recently found out that i missing a bolt on the very bottom of the housing.. is that bad?

mrmephistopheles
05-23-2003, 11:47 PM
nah
i know of a few people with ~4 or less bolts missing, and they have no problems?

240SxTYLE
05-24-2003, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by mrmephistopheles
nah
i know of a few people with ~4 or less bolts missing, and they have no problems?

thanks buddy :D , that what i wanted to hear. hope everything works out for you CRX.

91CRXsiR
05-25-2003, 04:26 AM
hmm,

good set of tools .. a have decent tools, i have to go buy a nice socket wrench that can handle that kind of tq, i guess ill buy some wobble things too.

id rather spend the money ill be saving on tools than paying some1 to do it.

FSM is like 70 bucks?..

mrmephistopheles
05-25-2003, 06:32 AM
A torque wrench comes in handy, too.
Yeah, FSM is ~70 bucks, depending upon year. I think it's ~63 for 89.

91CRXsiR
05-25-2003, 07:15 AM
yea i have a TQ wrench already, and this isnt for a 89. i killed that bitch earlier this month

this is for my new bitch the 91 =)

nrcooled
05-25-2003, 04:42 PM
A clutch job is pretty easy. Took me about 5hrs doing it myself. But I was in a actual garage (w/ lift and tranny lift) A chiltons will get you through the whole process. Not hard I just ran into problems w/ my clutch dampner.

PM me if you have any questions;)

91CRXsiR
05-26-2003, 07:57 PM
thanks ill do that if i need any help.

Phlip
05-27-2003, 04:57 PM
Make sure you brush up on your expletives and curse words too, and I suggest you learn some new ones, they will come in handy for busted knuckles and such... Be sure to have tranny fluid handy too, as it will likely come out of there as soon as you let it down some, it did on mine.

91CRXsiR
05-28-2003, 02:33 AM
yea im brushing up on my spanish, and japanese bad words just have to get the accent down right and i should be ready.
haha

i just need to get the car smogged before i touch anythin