PDA

View Full Version : J30 axle swap

AJ
05-23-2003, 12:09 AM
I am swappin in a z32 na diff and using j30 axles, which i was told will work. However, upon closer inspection... (THE WHOEL REAR END IS TAKEN APART.) It appears that the j30 axles are a little too long. I should have realized this right away, and i may just have 2 passenger side axles, (they SHOULD b longer) but mine both seem to be the same length. I allready had to bang around on the end of the j30 axels with a hammer to get them to mate up with the 240 hub's correctly.. now this,, i'm going insane, and my car is on jackstands for a total of 36 or some odd hours, when i was hoping to get it all done in one day.. I'm about to take one of the axles to a machine shop and have it shortened.. any ideas?

I think we can make it all mate up, problem is. as soon as we drop the car and the suspension is loaded... i think **** is going to hit the fan, we have to compress the axels like crazy to even get it close to fitting.

I really need someone who knows what they are talking about to answer this.. thanks,, i'm in kinda a bind.

also, thanks to all that have helped me so far, you guys have been awesome!

drift freaq
05-23-2003, 11:02 AM
AJ, indeed you have two right hand side axles the left hand side one is shorter than the right. Take the longer one back and get it exchanged for the shorter one.

AJ
05-23-2003, 08:55 PM
wonderful, well exchanging them cost me a whopping 131 dollars.... so that kinda ****ed me off.. but its all in and working now.. yesss,, and dude... why the hell did ya send me 2 right axles and no left... honeesstttly drift freaq.....

yellow_jacket
05-23-2003, 09:49 PM
So the J30 axles will bolt to the z32 5 bolt output shafts?

I was hoping to find an answer to my problem and what do you know, here is the answer.

I bought an entire rear subframe and was hoping to use the axles but they were too long and the inner c.v. joint wouldn't work on the 240 axles.

Are there any other axles that will work?

Thanks guys!

AJ
05-23-2003, 10:23 PM
yeah it bolts right up,, exept,, .. well,, it works.. but i'm a little worried abou how it meets up with the hub on the diff side of the hub... the j30 axles have a type of spacer, where i guess on the j30 hubs it meets up with the bearings.. anyway, it still works. but it will introduce more **** and grime next to the bearings because it doesn't really protect them like the old 240 ones did. oh well... i wasn't really going to worry about it ;) but yeah.. um if u have any trouble at all with the swap let me know.. spent 3 days with a lot of ,, well.. problems that we ironed out,, so if i can help ya in anyway i'd be happy 2.

(we messed up the brakes,, that took a day to diagnose ;))

drift freaq
05-24-2003, 12:11 AM
quote [and dude... why the hell did ya send me 2 right axles and no left... honeesstttly drift freaq.....]

damn AJ, my bad. the Yard guys I deal with did that to me a couple of times before I caught it. you must have been one of those people. I will get you something for free to make up for it.
yes I said for free . Just email me and I will get you sorted .
[email protected]

AJ
05-24-2003, 12:20 AM
see above,, drift freaq is my new best friend! honest mistake, i was immature to post that,, shoulda pm'd ya bro..

but regardless of that little mixup, drift freaq got me all my stuff and it was all in awesome shape. He's awesome to work with for anyone buyin from him in the fuuuture. :-D