PDA

View Full Version : No coolant flowing

xX5Tb0nE7Xx
11-26-2009, 01:13 PM
I recently got new cams and vavletrain on my redtop SR20. I got it all back together, my friend bypassed the TB, and it overheats now. I replaced the water pump and t-stat with new oe replacements, still overheats. I took the t-stat out and filled the coolant and it still doesnt flow. the engine gets hot but not the hoses or coolant. I know the radiator is good I dont know why the coolant isnt flowing through any help please!?!?!?

I wana try out these new cams beforesnow comes and I need to park it!!

oni jake
11-26-2009, 01:36 PM
the coolant is most likely flowing. What you probably did is misaligned the cams. It may be a tooth or so off. Check your cam work and make 100% sure the timing is right.

And yes, cams being off so much as a tooth can overheat your valves causing your engine to overheat while your radiator is still cool. Hopefully you didn't cause any major damage yet.

codyace
11-26-2009, 01:39 PM
Sure it's not a gauge issue?

!Zar!
11-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Sure it's not a gauge issue?

I'd imagine if it was a gauge issue the engine would be getting up to operation temp and so would the radiator/hoses.

It sounds like you have air in your system. SR's like to be air tight. So you need to continue bleeding the system.

Jack the front uppppppppp

codyace
11-26-2009, 04:06 PM
I'd imagine if it was a gauge issue the engine would be getting up to operation temp and so would the radiator/hoses.

It sounds like you have air in your system. SR's like to be air tight. So you need to continue bleeding the system.

Jack the front uppppppppp

Agreed, but with a effed up gauge, it can peg and the car/engine can be mucho coldo.

On another note: I'll never understand how people have such issues with bleeding 240 cooling systems...there's even a helper plug!

Ceepo
11-26-2009, 04:18 PM
^ so true, its not rocket science, im gonna go with ari in the system as well... turn the heater on full blast, jack the front of the car a foot or so off the ground and run it for a little bit, then let it cool off and fill with coolant as needed, check for about a week or 2...

xX5Tb0nE7Xx
11-26-2009, 11:21 PM
^ so true, its not rocket science, im gonna go with ari in the system as well... turn the heater on full blast, jack the front of the car a foot or so off the ground and run it for a little bit, then let it cool off and fill with coolant as needed, check for about a week or 2...

I did this for about 20 mins and then let it cool and a few hours later took it for a test drive and it did the same thing, engine was warm coolant wasnt.

If my timing is off a tooth wouldnt it run funny? and i do know that the gauge is good everything was working before.

oni jake
11-26-2009, 11:26 PM
If my timing is off a tooth wouldnt it run funny? and i do know that the gauge is good everything was working before.

Not necessarily. I'm just throwing in information from what I've seen happen before. Couldn't harm checking it since you seem pretty sure that your coolant system works and bleed the air out properly. (I.E. replaced water pump, thermostat, etc.)

xX5Tb0nE7Xx
11-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Ok thanx Oni I will try that later today hopefully.

Tantwoforty
11-29-2009, 12:03 AM
so your building coolnt pressure right?
maby install a aftermatket gauge for a bit to get a better reading of temp.. check the rad cap, thermostat ect.. maby your thermo isint opening...
if your water pump is moving water and the thermo is leting it out and into the engine and rad.. then there isint a reason you would be haveing this problum... did you do a pressure test on the cooling system? you can rent the tool i think.. idk

oni jake
12-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Bump. So any luck so far? I'm really curious to know what your problem was... and people sometimes forget to post their resolutions.

Ceepo
12-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Just askin but did you install the thermostat backwards? if my mind is thinkin right(doubt it is lol) if you installed it backwards it wouldnt open and it wouldnt allow the coolant to flow... idk lol im outta it right now...

Chrischeezer
12-05-2009, 03:15 PM
i have seen a person stuff a coolant neck with paper towels and forget about it... haha

jspaeth
12-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Just askin but did you install the thermostat backwards? if my mind is thinkin right(doubt it is lol) if you installed it backwards it wouldnt open and it wouldnt allow the coolant to flow... idk lol im outta it right now...

I believe he was still having the same problem AFTER doing this without any thermostat at all...