PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy a HICAS rack?

plusONETEN
11-25-2009, 09:59 PM
Im looking for a HICAS steering rack. I know FR sport used to sell them for 600 bucks... Thats a crapload of money, but i'd be willing to pay that much if the rack was professionally rebuilt and was guaranteed to actually be a hicas rack.

im pretty wary of just buying one online somwhere, because i feel like i wont end up getting an actual hicas rack...

Or is it possbile to buy a few parts and convert a non-hicas rack into a hicas rack?

let me know what you guys think...

Sileighty_85
11-25-2009, 10:33 PM
FR Sport is a legitimate company, Ive bought quite a few things from them without a problem, they are probably one of the only companies i would trust

!Zar!
11-26-2009, 02:03 AM
Try an auto parts store and do a core exchange.

Just make sure that they have different part numbers for the hicas vs non rack.

g6civcx
11-26-2009, 08:53 AM

Make sure you have what you need. Sometimes the rebuilders don't know the difference.

plusONETEN
12-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Try an auto parts store and do a core exchange.

problem is I cant find a HICAS core to begin with...

Ceepo
12-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Do you think a part store is gonna know the any difference between the two, i once returned my s14 calipers in a box when i bought new z calipers and they took them...

drift freaq
12-07-2009, 01:44 PM
FR Sport is a legitimate company, Ive bought quite a few things from them without a problem, they are probably one of the only companies i would trust

Honestly I would not even trust getting one from them. Unless you know the tell tale casting numbers its next to impossible to tell the difference. In fact many parts stores sell rebuilt racks as Hicas rack per their parts book but it in truth its a stock rack. Hicas racks are damn rare. Nissan used to sell LHD Hicas racks for like $1200 each and fact is they probably stopped manufacturing them several years ago due to low demand.

Most of the rebuilders I have talked to cannot even get their hands on them. Its like once in a blue moon when their core collectors manage to get one or find one in a yard.

Best bet for getting a Hicas rack is to find a used one buy it and have it rebuilt. It's what I did.

Oh and ya good luck on finding cores they are getting harder to find. My friend has managed to pull around 5 from the yards over the last 3 years.

okislide
12-28-2009, 03:58 AM
why do you want hicas any ways. just get a delete bar and you will be better off than having that bullshit hooked up to your back wheels.

negrosx13
12-28-2009, 04:55 AM
there talking a front steering racks, hicas steering racks gives offer a better ratio i belive

240sxfamily
12-28-2009, 06:36 AM
you can buy mine for the right price.. :P

rb26man
12-28-2009, 08:50 AM
^^^ lol to funny

Monooxide
12-28-2009, 01:01 PM
The HICAS rack is only nice if you plan on keeping it powered. If you are planning to depower the rack and convert it to a "manual" rack you should stay with the stock rack.

DALAZ_68
12-28-2009, 01:12 PM
why do you want hicas any ways. just get a delete bar and you will be better off than having that bullshit hooked up to your back wheels.

omfg...get out... :axe:

Couped_up'd
12-28-2009, 01:16 PM
I did not even know this. I guess it is cool now that I own a super hicas! Wait...no I still hate them.=) I am doing a chassis swap soon, pm me if you want my rack.

MELLO*SOS
12-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Best bet for getting a Hicas rack is to find a used one buy it and have it rebuilt. It's what I did.

Me too. But it was difficult to find one :) Rebuild is about $100 or so.

The hicas rack has a quicker ratio, and has less turns lock-to-lock.