PDA

View Full Version : vlsd guts swap into non vlsd housing

tastyratz
11-25-2009, 08:46 AM
So I have been doing lots of reading over the last few days and getting a ton of conflicting information of all kinds of vintages that *almost* fit (such as j30, etc)
I wanted to clarify. There is prettymuch nothing solid on straight 240 pumpkin to 240 pumpkin transplants.

I have a standard s14 pumpkin pegleg open diff in my DD.
A local guy put an s15 diff in his 180sx vlsd housing so he sold me the vlsd heart transplant.

I have 0 experience inside the diff. I can hand build my engine but just haven't cracked open a diff yet.

Can this literally be a straight drop?
Will I or will I not need vlsd shafts?
Am I going to need to shim anything (where do you even buy shims anyways?)
Any tricks I need to know? (loctite, torque specs, etc)

And just curious, how long should I set aside for the breakdown of the diff? anything else I will need (any tty bolts? liquid gasket ok?)
God I hate being the n00b.

g6civcx
11-25-2009, 09:21 AM
This area is not very well documented so you will have to figure out a lot of stuff on your own.

I think it's cheaper to buy a complete VLSD unit.

Otherwise when you disassemble the guts, you have to matchmark everything left/right if you intend to put it back in.

Ask him what he took out and if he marked anything.

nissandr1ft
11-25-2009, 09:46 AM
The pumkin itself is the same, but you'll need the output shafts that match up with the VLSD. If the gear ratio isn't the same you'll also need to use your original ring gear. When you pull your open diff out keep an eye out how all the shims are setup, and make sure when you drop the VLSD in that the shims are in the same order. Id also use a grease pen to check out the mesh pattern of the gears to be on the safe side.

projectRDM
11-25-2009, 11:13 AM
The pumkin itself is the same, but you'll need the output shafts that match up with the VLSD. If the gear ratio isn't the same you'll also need to use your original ring gear. When you pull your open diff out keep an eye out how all the shims are setup, and make sure when you drop the VLSD in that the shims are in the same order. Id also use a grease pen to check out the mesh pattern of the gears to be on the safe side.

Exactly like he said. You'll need the VLSD output shafts and you must use the matching ring and pinion from whatever unit, you can't mix and match. Then all three areas will need to be shimmed for proper tolerance.

tastyratz
11-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Ahh now let me challenge that school of thought with something I just found online:

link style has brackets so it wont let me put it here, had to quote it. you will have to cut paste to see
http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_search_result.php?keywords=[38221X]+\%28s13&cPath=1418_1419_1487_1507

When I look at courtesy, they offer 3x output shafts. 1 for hicas cars 91+, one for 88-90 cars, and 1 for non hicas 1991+. This is for s13 & s14 viscous or non viscous coupling.
Am I reading that correctly?
My pumpkin now came out of a jdm 180sx (got it at a swap meet for 40 bux vs 200 for an assembly)

projectRDM
11-25-2009, 02:48 PM
That page doesn't exist.

The output shaft should differ between S13 and S14, but I've never compared them past that.