PDA

View Full Version : Turbo oil seals

s13silady
05-21-2003, 05:47 PM
ok... my turbo does not have any shaft play at all... my plugs are not fouled at all with any oil or anything else...
so im pretty sure now that the turbo is bad...
but there is no shaft play at all... so im assuming the the turbo oil seals are bad... is replacing the seals easy to do?? or should i have it done professionally???
is pro. then how much is it to replace the seals?
im going to get a compression test first thing tomorrow and let you guys know the numbers i get... but for now im a little worried about the turbo being shot...
the way i know is i noticed a little oil around the silicone boots of the IC piping... and i also saw oil where the coldpipe connects to the coldside of the intercooler (not good)... so im going to flush out my intercooler with alcahol (any better suggestions on how to do it?). and have my piping completely redone... i managed to get a digi cam so i will post pics ASAP..

i got a really good deal on Energy Dynamix Pistons and rods... 8:5:1 comp pistons with billet rods for 400 brand new... buddy distributes for them....:D

*ryan

Racer X
05-22-2003, 07:44 AM
does smoke come out of the tail pipe? cause if you seals are shot a white cloud will follow you were ever you go. im told a little oil in you pipes is normal. many turbo cars do that. another place to look is breather tube. under boost you pcv system is worthless this causes more air to move out of the breather system.(blow by gases from the crankcase) as air moves out of the breather it takes oil with it. that goes to you turbo inlet---> and out of the turbo trough your intercooler and finaly into the engine to be burned. this gets worse as boost is increased. a catch can will fix this problem. (turbo use a seal simular to a piston ring which does not seal 100%) also no blow off valve makes it worse. just my $.02

boosteds14
05-22-2003, 10:33 AM
check your HOT pipe from the turbo. the walls would be gunked in oil.

thats what happened to mine accept I have VERY small shaft play.

and if it was your turbo, you would only smoke after idling for a bit and taking off or when your on boost.

if it smokes all the time it could be your valve seals or oil rings on the piston. a compression test will say if it is your piston rings. if not then it is your valve seals

s13silady
05-22-2003, 01:00 PM
it only smokes after boost...(or while im boosting..)
i know a little oil in your pipes are normal with turbo cars... but these are thick clouds..only after boost or during boost...
i have nothing connected to my PCV right now... im only running 4.35psi...
i have a BOV too.. apexi twin chamber...

whats wierd is that it boost fine.. it holds a steady 4.35 boost...
vaccum reads at -20.. which i normal i presume...