PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone cleaned their own injectors?

yukon
11-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Someone mentioned removing the screens and cleaning with carb cleaner.

M11's
11-24-2009, 03:23 PM
pour some sea foam in your tank

shocker
11-24-2009, 04:53 PM
never use in tank inj cleaners. pull injector, spray with carb cleaner. then i use Vaseline to refresh the o rings. then pop back in.

thing is the injectors really shouldn't get too dirty while in the car. there is a sock pre fuel pump and a fuel filter before the rail. if you think your inj are dirty, i would change the two filter things mentioned.

yukon
11-25-2009, 01:25 PM
never use in tank inj cleaners. pull injector, spray with carb cleaner. then i use Vaseline to refresh the o rings. then pop back in.

thing is the injectors really shouldn't get too dirty while in the car. there is a sock pre fuel pump and a fuel filter before the rail. if you think your inj are dirty, i would change the two filter things mentioned.

spraying carb cleaner on the injector isnt going to do anything. the gunk is inside. injector cleaners are put in the gas at source so putting stuff in your tank will work to an extent. you pretty much have to send your injectors to be professionally cleaned.

codyace
11-25-2009, 03:12 PM
spraying carb cleaner on the injector isnt going to do anything. the gunk is inside. injector cleaners are put in the gas at source so putting stuff in your tank will work to an extent. you pretty much have to send your injectors to be professionally cleaned.

Valid point regarding spraying carb cleaner on the outside...it doesn't to much if anyhting.

However there are shops with the (OTC Kit, Fuel Injector Cleaning (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00971619000P?vName=Sears%20Pro&cName=Professional&sName=Building%20&%20Remodeling=&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=I0084400010000100600&aff=Y&origin=prod))

OTC injector cleaning kits that use shop air and that metal tank thing...it's essentially a high pressure solution that you can pump through the upper fuel injection system. With that said, I have never personally used it, but do know friends who own the kit, and have good things to say about it. For 700 dollars (easily found cheaper elsewhere, just used the first link i could find) you could just send yours out to be cleaned at 10-20 bucks a pop and be ahead of the game.

sacco sideways
11-25-2009, 06:01 PM
whats wrong with in tank cleaners? i use lucas in my truck