PDA

View Full Version : Please take a moment to read my problem Weird noise after 3 blown turbos

filluptieu
11-23-2009, 06:35 PM
Alright guys, well I want to first say thank you for giving 5 minutes to check out my problem.
I have a s13 sr20det redtop t25, sidemount, greddy type s bov, 3 inch exhaust, xs power exhaust manifold.
She runs at 7 psi and no more. When I first got the car the turbo was blown and white smoke would come out the exhaust. I replaced it with another used t25 and at the same time removed the power steering to have a easier time. One week later the turbo starts locking up (I would boost some times and at other times it would not boost at all) So I check the turbo by taking off the inlet flange and the shaft play was crazy! And some of the outside fins were bent… Well no big deal, a good friend of mine gave me his t25 that has the tiniest shaft play, one of the best I have ever felt.
So I replaced the turbo and everything runs great! Spools great and everything minus one problem, theres a nasty exhaust leak from the rectangular flange that goes in between the manifold and the t25 (its acheap ebay cardboard flange). Well I then changed the flange to a metal one and it runs even better without the stupid leak… well driving on the highway about 2 hours after getting the flange in the turbo all the sudden makes a loud sound as if metal was grinding and the turbo stops boosting. Please keep inmind THAT I DO NOT OVER REV THE t25 AND ONLY MODERATE BOOST. So I bring it home and take off the inlet flange and again the turbo is blown, no smoke but crazy shaft play and bent outside fins. This is also a week and a half after I replaced the turbo and I didn’t drive it for 2 days because of the blown exhaust gasket.
Well so now I get really curious and check the oil pressure by hooking up a gauge and the pressure is just fine. Check the banjo and I see small metal threads in the banjo. I clean nit out and find out that the threads on the block for the oil is stripped (but only on the outside) so I re tap it with a heilcoil and wrap the banjo with Teflon tape and it seals up just fine. I also (when I have the second blown turbo in) took off the oil return line(the black rubber hose) oil just flowed out real nicely like nothing was wrong. Also the water pressure should be fine since a whole bunch of it came out when I took off the banjo from the block.
THE PROBLEM
Now I finally get fed up and pay good money for a completely rebuilt turbo, I mean balanced and everything, it has even been sand blasted and repainted. I put the new turbo in and start driving (knowing that it needs to be broken in) at a steady rate and as It starts to get close to ZERO boost a whining noise that is coming from the front of the car(engine bay). After probably about 10 miles of driving it gets worst. Also it only happends before boost, when it does boost you don’t hear anything wrong with it. Another thing to mention is that when this sound happens it wont boost at all and it holds back for about 3 or 4 seconds then it boost.
I open the inlet flange again and it now has shaft play but nothing to bad. It isn’t scratching the wall and no bend flanges. All the lines have been tighten. I replaced the wastegate. Checked for tares in the plastic lines.
I cant figure it out….

jspaeth
11-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Alright guys, well I want to first say thank you for giving 5 minutes to check out my problem.
I have a s13 sr20det redtop t25, sidemount, greddy type s bov, 3 inch exhaust, xs power exhaust manifold.
She runs at 7 psi and no more. When I first got the car the turbo was blown and white smoke would come out the exhaust. I replaced it with another used t25 and at the same time removed the power steering to have a easier time. One week later the turbo starts locking up (I would boost some times and at other times it would not boost at all) So I check the turbo by taking off the inlet flange and the shaft play was crazy! And some of the outside fins were bent… Well no big deal, a good friend of mine gave me his t25 that has the tiniest shaft play, one of the best I have ever felt.
So I replaced the turbo and everything runs great! Spools great and everything minus one problem, theres a nasty exhaust leak from the rectangular flange that goes in between the manifold and the t25 (its acheap ebay cardboard flange). Well I then changed the flange to a metal one and it runs even better without the stupid leak… well driving on the highway about 2 hours after getting the flange in the turbo all the sudden makes a loud sound as if metal was grinding and the turbo stops boosting. Please keep inmind THAT I DO NOT OVER REV THE t25 AND ONLY MODERATE BOOST. So I bring it home and take off the inlet flange and again the turbo is blown, no smoke but crazy shaft play and bent outside fins. This is also a week and a half after I replaced the turbo and I didn’t drive it for 2 days because of the blown exhaust gasket.
Well so now I get really curious and check the oil pressure by hooking up a gauge and the pressure is just fine. Check the banjo and I see small metal threads in the banjo. I clean nit out and find out that the threads on the block for the oil is stripped (but only on the outside) so I re tap it with a heilcoil and wrap the banjo with Teflon tape and it seals up just fine. I also (when I have the second blown turbo in) took off the oil return line(the black rubber hose) oil just flowed out real nicely like nothing was wrong. Also the water pressure should be fine since a whole bunch of it came out when I took off the banjo from the block.
THE PROBLEM
Now I finally get fed up and pay good money for a completely rebuilt turbo, I mean balanced and everything, it has even been sand blasted and repainted. I put the new turbo in and start driving (knowing that it needs to be broken in) at a steady rate and as It starts to get close to ZERO boost a whining noise that is coming from the front of the car(engine bay). After probably about 10 miles of driving it gets worst. Also it only happends before boost, when it does boost you don’t hear anything wrong with it. Another thing to mention is that when this sound happens it wont boost at all and it holds back for about 3 or 4 seconds then it boost.
I open the inlet flange again and it now has shaft play but nothing to bad. It isn’t scratching the wall and no bend flanges. All the lines have been tighten. I replaced the wastegate. Checked for tares in the plastic lines.
I cant figure it out….

The only possible explanation for this is oil problem to the turbo. IF you have blown 3 straight turbos, without really getting on them, that only seems possible if the there is metal shavings or lack of oil getting to the turbo.

That'r probably not helpful though.

filluptieu
11-24-2009, 02:13 PM
Come on i know theres alot of really smart sr guys here... no one can give some advice...

oni jake
11-24-2009, 02:24 PM
The only possible explanation for this is oil problem to the turbo. IF you have blown 3 straight turbos, without really getting on them, that only seems possible if the there is metal shavings or lack of oil getting to the turbo.

That'r probably not helpful though.

I 2nd this. It's sounds really strange, but if you are blowing turbos up left and right, it seems like the main problem is your oil. Maybe your oil pressure is reading fine, but that doesn't mean the canal to the oil line on the block isn't blocked in someway. I know you said you found metal shavings before and cleaned it out. I would take another look at the oil feed line just incase.

filluptieu
11-24-2009, 08:16 PM
I just took off the banjo again and it had one tiny tiny tiny so small it wouldent clog it but nothing other then that. And I did take off the return line yesterday and oil came out just fine

bl3ujay07
11-27-2009, 01:50 AM
Are you running stock lines or steel braided lines? If you are running steel braided lines, what brand?

My scenerio/experience:
Bought Circuit Sport lines and the fitting that connects oil line to the block had the smallest passageway, almost like a restrictor which starved the turbo of oil and blew my s14 bb turbo. Drove it for less than 10 miles. At first, i thought it would be too small so i called up fsport, and they said it will work. Next thing you know it, blown turbo. Back with my original earls line on by gt2871r and everything is good.