PDA

View Full Version : Temp control sensor location for Taurus fan

mjhockey155
11-22-2009, 06:04 PM
I just installed my taurus fan. I am having trouble locating a spot to install my temp sensor probe. I was thinking about making a T for the upper radiator hose which would accept the 5/8inch probe. Below is a link for the fan controller I am using. Where do you guys think I should try to install the probe? Also, what temp sensor is on the right side of the ecu temp sensor.

Derale 16739 - Derale Single Stage Fan Controllers with Radiator Probes - Overview - SummitRacing.com (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-16739/)

Ceepo
11-22-2009, 09:23 PM
On my fan relay kit i had a prob style temp sensor that sits in between the radiator cooling fins(no coolant accually touches the sensor) and it works awesome you could drill and tap the waterneck for the upper radiator hose, what motor is this going in?

mjhockey155
11-23-2009, 07:32 AM
This is going on my stock ka, but soon to be sr. I'd rather not use a sensor that slips between the fins because your only reading surface temperatures which could lead to inconsistent temperature readings.

Do you think I bought the correct relay kit: turns on at 180 degrees and shuts off at 170 degrees?

mjhockey155
11-23-2009, 08:23 AM
What 12v ignition source should I use? Should I splice in under the fuse box for the ignition fuse?

g6civcx
11-23-2009, 08:47 AM
What 12v ignition source should I use? Should I splice in under the fuse box for the ignition fuse?

Use ignition switched power to trigger a relay. The relay pulls power from the battery.

I discussed this so many times already. I don't want to do this any more.

mjhockey155
11-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Where can I locate that ignition switched power under the hood and what wire color? I don't want to run wire through the firewall to locate power.

Ceepo
11-23-2009, 11:22 AM
I ran mine thru the firewall i couldnt find any ignition on wires(didnt really search to hard lol) my fan kit turns on a 185 and off at 170 i have had no problems with it...

mjhockey155
11-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Would the rear deffogger switch be a good place to tap into a 12v ignition On source?

Ceepo
11-23-2009, 02:49 PM
i tapped mine into the stereo wire lol... any ignition on power will do...

codyace
11-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Use ignition switched power to trigger a relay. The relay pulls power from the battery.

I discussed this so many times already. I don't want to do this any more.

Hey man! Hope all is well on your end. I hear ya abotu explaining the same thing 85679x without regard :/

codyace
11-23-2009, 07:28 PM
I just installed my taurus fan. I am having trouble locating a spot to install my temp sensor probe. I was thinking about making a T for the upper radiator hose which would accept the 5/8inch probe. Below is a link for the fan controller I am using. Where do you guys think I should try to install the probe? Also, what temp sensor is on the right side of the ecu temp sensor.

Derale 16739 - Derale Single Stage Fan Controllers with Radiator Probes - Overview - SummitRacing.com (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-16739/)

If you want to use the actual coolant for a source, check out:
Water Feed More Info (http://customsteel.com/sr20/html/body_water_feed_more_info.html)

I use the Dual Fan Derale Controller with the radiator probe. Works amazing, and has had no issues. I have my drivers side fan on full time (Altima fans) and use the controller to turn the 2nd side on high at 180 degrees, or when AC is turned on. Works like a charm, and it's nice and small (and cheap)

I used my fuel pump relay source, as my relay soruce. This way it just doens't come on when i have the key switched to the on position without it running. I always let the car prime before start, so it's not on at all when i crank it over.

godrifttoday
11-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Hayden Automotive 3654 - Hayden Electric Fan Controls - Overview - SummitRacing.com (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HDA-3654/?image=large)

mjhockey155
11-25-2009, 10:28 AM
I have decided that I am just going to run a three way toggle switch. One flip turns on the high speed fan, flip it again the high speed circuit breaks and the low speed thermostat controlled circuit is connected.

usajdm
11-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Must still use relays.

codyace
11-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Must still use relays.

Certainly, and that's why the derale setup is nice, as it's got the built in relay as well.

No reason to hack everything for a switch when you can use the factory setup to make it all work as it was OEM.