PDA

View Full Version : 89 240sx with a couple of problems

Deviousjet
11-22-2009, 05:55 PM
hey guys I just purchase an 89 and it is almost perfect just a couple of problems. The headlights don't move up or down. I have to manually move the headlights up or down. Unless the fuse is blown? Not sure I'll look more into it. Also It is an 89 that has a KA24DE conversion everything works except the tach. What should I do to get the tach working. Need to know where the rev's are at for drifting also the timing chain is getting really loud is it time for replacement. Finally the power steering works but when I'm at a stop the pump shuts off I guess I have to rev the engine to get the steering wheel turnable. Besides this awesome car. Thanks for all the help guys .

sil80 monster
11-22-2009, 06:11 PM
you need a DOHC tach, remove the chain guides for the noise, get a new PS pump, learn to search :D

stinky_180
11-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Finally the power steering works but when I'm at a stop the pump shuts off I guess I have to rev the engine to get the steering wheel turnable.

WHAT?

you need a SOHC tach. chain guides noisy or the timing chain? replace the timing chain either way.

Deviousjet
11-23-2009, 11:24 AM
I have a sohc tach. the chain guide is noisy I'll have to waity for the timing chain. I hate doing that job done it once before. Also any help on the headlights?

usajdm
11-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Things to check for the headlight are the fuse, relay and dash switch.
If you have a friend with a 240, use his car to swap out parts to see which is bad.

g6civcx
11-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Things to check for the headlight are the fuse, relay and dash switch.
If you have a friend with a 240, use his car to swap out parts to see which is bad.

Before you do that, pull out the FSM and check every single wire, fuse, relay. And check grounds!

If you're sure it's 100% good then you can start swapping out parts.

usajdm
11-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Before you do that, pull out the FSM and check every single wire, fuse, relay. And check grounds!

If you're sure it's 100% good then you can start swapping out parts.

True the FSM is helpfull, but before checking "every single wire", wouldnt it be easier to pop out its designated fuse, a single relay and dash switch(which pops right out).
One of those three are more likely to be the culprit(although it could end-up being a wire) and should take no more then 5 minutes to check.

g6civcx
11-23-2009, 09:15 PM
before checking "every single wire", wouldnt it be easier to pop out its designated fuse, a single relay and dash switch(which pops right out)

I didn't know we were spoonfeeding that much today.

I would pull each fuse and check them first. Then I would pull each relay and test the relays. Then I would check for continuity between all the connectors the way they're outlined in the FSM. Then I would check for shorts to ground and other wires.

Deviousjet
11-24-2009, 08:57 AM
Thanks guys I just bought the FSM from autozone. Have a few friend with the headlights. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Deviousjet
11-24-2009, 08:58 AM
Any ideas on the Powersteering pump?

ForcedNduction
11-25-2009, 05:03 AM
Thanks guys I just bought the FSM from autozone. Have a few friend with the headlights. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Thats probably not a FSM you have there expecially from autozone. Probably a Chilton or Haynes manual. You can find FSM's all over the internet if you searched.

KA-T.org - The Home of 1000+ whp/7 sec Turbo KA's (http://www.ka-t.org/fsm.php)

Deviousjet
11-25-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm getting a theme here. Search. Thanks guys for all your help.