PDA

View Full Version : hard to get into gear

isixphill
11-21-2009, 08:28 PM
so this problem has been around since i did my 5speed swap but it seems to have gotten worse since its getting cold around here

when i start my car in the morning its hard to get it into any gear until my tranny warms up. i have to slow down and fully depress my clutch and pray it goes into gear without grinding

i was told that it was my syncros going bad but wouldn't it happen all the time then.. also could it just be my gear oil is too thick?

dongoesby
11-21-2009, 08:35 PM
i had exactly the samething happened to me. Learn how to properly bleed the clutch first. If it doesn't, go buy a new master and a slave cylnders. This should help you fix it.

ill.
11-21-2009, 09:38 PM
What gear oil are you using?

If it's getting better as the car warms up, then it sounds like you need some thinner gear oil for over winter.

s142jzkillav10
11-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Your Gear OIL is Too Thick. For my On my Toyota Trans. I use ATF and It has worked Flawlessly. I did have Gear oil in but it locked to 2shafts together so when I would try and start it would move the whole car. Once I switched to ATF : LIKE BUTTER NOW............

Sileighty_85
11-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Your Gear OIL is Too Thick. For my On my Toyota Trans. I use ATF and It has worked Flawlessly. I did have Gear oil in but it locked to 2shafts together so when I would try and start it would move the whole car. Once I switched to ATF : LIKE BUTTER NOW............

iI didnt know Toyota made a 240SX?

pretty sure NISSAN 240SX's use GL-4 75W90 Gear oil.

Do not use Royal Purple gear oil That shit sucks

ryguy
11-21-2009, 11:59 PM
Do not use Royal Purple gear oil That shit sucks

I have Royal Purple gear oil in my trans, and it's smooth like butter. I like it.

Trav
11-22-2009, 12:56 AM
..i was told that it was my syncros going bad but wouldn't it happen all the time then..
Can someone clarify if this is true.. This could be the difference between an easy fix and a pricey one.

ill.
11-22-2009, 01:01 AM
ATF is good, but doesn't protect the synchro's as much as a thicker oil would....

So in a drift car, you tend to go through gearbox's pretty quick.

ryguy
11-22-2009, 02:02 AM
Can someone clarify if this is true.. This could be the difference between an easy fix and a pricey one.

If you double clutch and the problem goes away, its more likely the synchros.

OP, I would still try to make sure everything is bled, check the fluid level in the clutch pedal, and make sure there is no fluid leaking into the car from the MC.

marcobleedsblue
11-24-2009, 10:11 PM
ya it happened to me to bleed the system and check if ur slave cylinder is good..