PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Problem

Drift N Dragg
11-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Ok Here it goes,

Car:

1990 300ZX VG30DE 5 Speed, 2+2 Model .. 124,xxx Miles..

Sat for 5 Years when it first started smoking.

I thought I may need a Headgasket.. but I am unsure now.. I am blowing White Smoke out of the Driverside Exhaust, and a hint from the Passengerside Exhaust..

Now what I thought, White = Coolant, BUT I am not Over heating at all.. and I am not using Coolant.. No Mixture in the Oil... No loss of Oil...

I started a Compression Check, removed all Spark Plugs, Fuel Pump Fuse, after car was warmed up.. But due to Bad luck that damn Comp tester Seal broke on the last Cylinder

When I removed the Spark Plug (Driverside - Front of the Car back order ) the First 2 were black..( These are brand new plugs with maybe a Mile on them ) .. the Last Cylinder was wet (fuel) but not black...

Passender Side - all Black..

So I figured a Easy temporary fix to my problems, if it was the Headgasket, would be Steel seal ( Until I decided either to replace the DE, Do a TT swap, or do a VQ35DE swap.. )... I have had 3 Different friends try it and all there's were blown headgaskets and the stupid crap works... BUT, I put it in lastnight and it improved the smoke just alittle bit.. But once I hit the gas more smoke comes out

I do have a Ticking sound coming from the Motor...

Also, not throwing any Codes...

Here are the Symtoms:
White Smoke (but not Over heating and not Coolant Usage )
Loss of Power Threw all Bands ( Massive Dog, Bogging )
Inside gauges not functioning right ( Tach will drop to 500 RPM's here and there then start working again just fine... )
Revv's up Fine, But if I revv it repeated right after and tap it up and hit it again if will hesitate and sometimes backfire..

Here are some Other Notes:
Idles just perfect
Revs up fine to a point ( listed Above )

Things I have done:
New MAF ( Fixed Idle Issue/ Revv Issue from before current Issues)
Brand New Plugs
Oil Change w/ filter
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Steel Seal (No Luck )
Compression Check on Driverside bank (except last Cylinder closest to the Firewall, Stupid Seal on my Comp tester ripped off and i did not have a replacement) But I was in the Mid to High 160's... I also did it to the Manual Specs (warmed up car, Then disconnected Fuel Pump, Opened Throttle on Crank.. Cranked 4 Cycles.. )

I hope I put enough information .. Please let me know if I left something out or need more information...

cotbu
11-22-2009, 06:55 AM
If this car was for sale and those problem were noted, I'd buy the car for sure.
I'd replace the injectors and O-rings, pressure test the coolant system, then check the timing, set it to stock. clean the plugs before i start her up again, after doing injectors of course. There could be other problems like dirty or faulty mafs and or wiring, bad gas (5yrs worth) you get the picture, time for a tune up.

Drift N Dragg
11-22-2009, 08:55 AM
If this car was for sale and those problem were noted, I'd buy the car for sure.
I'd replace the injectors and O-rings, pressure test the coolant system, then check the timing, set it to stock. clean the plugs before i start her up again, after doing injectors of course. There could be other problems like dirty or faulty mafs and or wiring, bad gas (5yrs worth) you get the picture, time for a tune up.

Complete Tune-Up was done...
Cleaned Out the intake Manifold. ...
Pressure Tested the Coolant System lastnight .. She is Good
Timing it Dea Nutz On ...
MAF is Replaced and working Properly ...
Gas has been Flushed and Running Clean new Gas....
All Wire connections have been Removed and Checked, Lastnight, All good, No Broken connections.. No real Corrosion
Did a ' Powe Balance ' Test... Ohm'd the Coil Packs... Everything good

I am thinking maybe Vaccum Somewhere and/or Injectors ( As you Stated ) and/or FPR ...

Here is a Video of it Start Up and Running..
The White Smoke coming from the Wheel well because the Exhaust is removed from the Manifold and just blowing under the car...

When I started it, it hesitated, Because I cleaned the Thorttle Bodies out, But it quickly when to proper running condition..

The White Smoke Smells Like Fuel....

Here you Go....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qWIYP-60O8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qWIYP-60O8)

BTW - Car was For Sale - But Based on the Idea that I thought I had a Blown Headgasket .. Which as I found out is not the Case...

cotbu
11-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Check those plugs again, Then check for vacuum leaks. It sounded like it had cams for a second, then it cleared up. Maybe a vacuum leak, since it did idle up. It still could be extra fuel. See what the plugs are saying.

Drift N Dragg
11-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Check those plugs again, Then check for vacuum leaks. It sounded like it had cams for a second, then it cleared up. Maybe a vacuum leak, since it did idle up. It still could be extra fuel. See what the plugs are saying.

All Plugs are black with the exception of the Driverside Firewall Cylinder.. its Clean and wet ... But its sparking ( I tested it )

The Rought begining Idle is due to the Fact i have sprayed things out and it sucked them in.. i.e MAF/Throttle body cleaner is not Combustible friendly.. haha :drool: