PDA

View Full Version : Reverse and 1st gear hesitant after trans cooler installation

Mangudai
11-19-2009, 02:23 PM
I've checked the ATF level four times, twice cold and twice hot on flat ground. In every instance the dipstick showed a full level. To be more specific with what happens lets say I turn my car on then put it in reverse..sometimes that jolt you feel when it changed the gear will hesitate for about 2 seconds and the same thing for when I put it into 1st. Other than that though the car shifts smoother than it use to when im at speed. I checked for leaks and kinks and found none. I did spill some ATF when adding the extra hoses but didn't think anything of it as the dipstick shows its at capacity.

Any ideas?

g6civcx
11-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Was there a stock cooler line built into the radiator?

Mangudai
11-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Yes, I just extended the lines to the new cooler.

Jonnyblaze
11-19-2009, 05:31 PM
5 speed swap.

brokeAs240sx
11-19-2009, 06:08 PM
did you check the ATF level with the car running when verifying it was full?

have you tried putting the stock setup back (i.e. remove the cooler) and see if it still does it?

did you verify that the tranny fluid was flowing properly in & out of the cooler? You can do this by having a small oil pan w/ tranny fluid for the line going back into the tranny & the line coming out of the cooler disconnected. You can do this in Park or Neutral.

could also just be a coincidence... I put a very large tranny cooler on mine (Mopar cooler for a Corvette) & it shifted the same before & after the install.

GSXRJJordan
11-19-2009, 06:17 PM
did you check the ATF level with the car running when verifying it was full?

This......

Mangudai
11-23-2009, 06:21 PM
While the car is running it shows the level to be extremely low but when I turn it off it goes back up to showing it as full.

brokeAs240sx
11-23-2009, 08:32 PM
While the car is running it shows the level to be extremely low but when I turn it off it goes back up to showing it as full.

That's your problem. Refer to your FSM. The fluid level should be full when the car is on.

GSXRJJordan
11-23-2009, 10:08 PM
That's your problem. Refer to your FSM. The fluid level should be full when the car is on.

This. Cmon man, lol.

Mangudai
11-23-2009, 10:51 PM
Yea thats my bad, I thought the FSM said to check it with the engine off for some reason :S

Thanks