PDA

View Full Version : S13 not starting well. Help please!

03silverblaze
11-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Hello, I was hoping someone could help me. My bf recently purchased a 92 240 coupe with the KA24de motor (automatic). It has about 150K miles on it. Recently, it has been having issues starting up. It'll crank but the car just won't start. It's not a battery or alternator problem. After a few
(or many) trials of stepping on the accelerator all the way and turning the ignition, it fires up but he has to rev the car a bit and keep it at around 2Krpm until he lets it go and the car idles on its own. If he doesn't do this, the car will just die again immediately after starting up.

What could the problem be? Please help :hs:

M11's
11-16-2009, 08:49 PM
vacuum, timing, dissy cap/rotor, plugs and plug wires. could also check grounds in engine bay.

03silverblaze
11-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Thank you. We'll take a look at those things.

Big_Balls_JC_S13
11-17-2009, 01:03 PM
I would find out what was just recently changed or something along those lines also check your starter, ingnition switch and such. IDK if it is different but in my s13 the ignition switch was just a little loose where the key tumbler connects to the ignition switch and it posed to be falling in and out of connection causing the starter on my car to get all messed up...Well look in to that and tell me what happens.... PM me...LATE

s13drob
11-17-2009, 01:06 PM
start with plugs. my car recently did the same after i cleaned the aicv with carb cleaner and it fouled the plugs. sounds like your prob. just change them .

03silverblaze
11-28-2009, 03:58 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Turns out, we had to replace the fuel filter AGAIN. We had just installed a new one less than a month ago and it's already clogged. I'm thinking there's some junk or built up debris in the fuel tank cause it should not have been clogged so quickly. Especially when we put good fuel in there, like Shell. Anyway, after that, we replaced the already worn as hell fuel lines and stopped a few of the oil leaks. Car's starting up great now and has no issues shutting off when gearing into reverse. We just have to set aside some time to clean out that dumb fuel tank as well as gain the opportunity to work on the tranny as well. We might have to get another one because it takes to long for the car to shift from 1st gear to second. It revs up to almost 5K rpm before shifting and when it does, it shifts hard. Once again, thanks you guys. I'll keep you posted.

Tantwoforty
11-28-2009, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Turns out, we had to replace the fuel filter AGAIN. We had just installed a new one less than a month ago and it's already clogged. I'm thinking there's some junk or built up debris in the fuel tank cause it should not have been clogged so quickly. Especially when we put good fuel in there, like Shell. Anyway, after that, we replaced the already worn as hell fuel lines and stopped a few of the oil leaks. Car's starting up great now and has no issues shutting off when gearing into reverse. We just have to set aside some time to clean out that dumb fuel tank as well as gain the opportunity to work on the tranny as well. We might have to get another one because it takes to long for the car to shift from 1st gear to second. It revs up to almost 5K rpm before shifting and when it does, it shifts hard. Once again, thanks you guys. I'll keep you posted.
Let me be first to thank you for your first few posts here on zilvia being legit and informative. welcome!