PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light / smog

jinesz32
11-08-2009, 09:00 PM
My car has cel on I dont know what codes it's throwing. Wonderin if anyone can help me out on that. Like a guide to how I can reset my ecu and pull codes. I've been reading around but haven't found the answer I'm looking for .

My car is a 95 s14 obd1

Wondering if my car will pass smog if speedometer doesn't work ..

Rebuilt KA 10k miles . S13 tranny . Speedo doesn't work . I took the bulb out for my cel cause it was buggin me .

Any help appreciated

I'll continue to search for info.

Thanks

-Jin

drift freaq
11-08-2009, 09:14 PM
My car has cel on I dont know what codes it's throwing. Wonderin if anyone can help me out on that. Like a guide to how I can reset my ecu and pull codes. I've been reading around but haven't found the answer I'm looking for .

My car is a 95 s14 obd1

Wondering if my car will pass smog if speedometer doesn't work ..

Rebuilt KA 10k miles . S13 tranny . Speedo doesn't work . I took the bulb out for my cel cause it was buggin me .

Any help appreciated

I'll continue to search for info.

Thanks

-Jin

As far as the speedo goes smog tech may bitch about it. As far as resetting your ecu and pulling codes though. On OBDI ecus there is a pot you can turn with a flathead screwdriver that will reset the ecu and also put it in code reading mode. It should have a red and and a green led style bulb in the little port right next to the one with the pot on the side of the ecu. If you have a FSM this stuff is in it. If you do not have a FSM The ORIGINAL Nissan 240sx Forums - 240sx Club of America (http://www.240sx.org) has a faq on it.

kingkilburn
11-08-2009, 09:16 PM
You will not pass smog with the cel bulb out.

rokmplutonium
11-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Probably from not having the Crankshaft Position Sensor.

jinesz32
11-09-2009, 12:32 AM
yeah i don't have the crankshaft position sensor..

is that gonan cause me to fail smog? i never smoged my car before ..

im gonna put the cel bulb back in it was just for the time being.

the cel could be because im still on my auto ecu. im gonna find someone i can swap ecus with and see if thats the cause. but i wanna get some codes and see whats coming up.

thanks for the info !
much appreciated.

-Jin

kingkilburn
11-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Just check what the cel is for, with out that info you're just wasting your time. It literally takes 30 seconds to check it and it will tell right away if it's the lack of a sensor.

If the cel is on for ANY reason it will fail. It sucks because you can get a cel for something non-emissions and still fail.

S-Nation S13
11-09-2009, 10:39 AM
from my pass exp. any check engine light they automatically fail you. speedo has nothing to do with your emission so your good regardless if it works or not they use the computer to guage you rpm on low speed and high speed. but ya best advice is to find out whats throwing code!! do you have a way of getting a scanner? go to your local college institute im pretty sure they will have an auto tech course and they will scan your car for free lol thats what i did

RPSil13
11-09-2009, 11:18 AM
I think they will also fail you for not have a light bulb on your CEL, they usually jump the terminals to check that you didnt remove the light, so you should put it back in

jinesz32
11-09-2009, 11:28 AM
of course im gonan put the bulb back in it was just while i didnt have to smog it i didnt like my cel blinking . it was brigght. ill find someone to scan and check for codes, damn so its auto fail with cel light on even if it doesnt have to do with emissions. sigh this is gonna be a tough one haha.

thanks for inputs.

much appreciated.

-Jin

kingkilburn
11-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Aren't the ECUs for all(S13 and S14) the OBD1 KAs the same? If so you don't need a scanner.

jinesz32
12-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Kinda just put my smogging aside lol now I'm back at it . Haven't checked for codes yet but I'm going to check tonight . I put my cel bulb back in and turned the car on but the cel light doesn't turn on . I let it run for a bit then it turns on . Then it blinks and turns off / on all the time. Time to fIgure it out tonight . What do the smog techs do when they smog a obd1 car since they can't plug their scanner in .

kingkilburn
12-03-2009, 04:38 PM
The light blinking means that it is already in its self check mode. IT should be like a series of long flashes with long pauses then short flashes with short pauses. It should read out as 32, 35, 55 or some number along those lines.

jinesz32
12-03-2009, 05:58 PM
It's weird flashing . It blinks randomly doesn't blink then pause the. Blink again . Sometimes it stays on then it blinks lol it's weird . Maybe it's something small that's causing it to turn on. I'll just chek later tonight !

kingkilburn
12-04-2009, 01:20 AM
It still shouldn't come and go. Very strange.

Z32TT-R
12-04-2009, 02:42 AM
its blinking a code

example:
3 quick blinks = code 3
3 quick blinks followed by 2 slow blinks= code 32

understand?

when you figure the code number just look it up to see which sensor it is then fix

DreamN
12-04-2009, 02:56 AM
If it's doing this with the car on you could be in O2 sensor test mode. Check your codes. It's not hard.

Though it's pretty obvious it will be related to the CAS sensor considering you have a S13 transmission and no sensor plugged in. Willing to bet you also have an auto ECU still. This too will trigger codes.

You need to do some searching as this has definitely been covered. Not a hard fix. Just don't be lazy about it.

kingkilburn
12-04-2009, 03:15 AM
If it's doing this with the car on you could be in O2 sensor test mode. Check your codes. It's not hard.

That is what I was thinking.

jinesz32
12-04-2009, 10:43 AM
i know what blinking codes looked like, and it wasn't running codes, it was just blinking by itself, it would turn on and off randomly, and sometimes it would stay on for a long period of time lol.

got codes.

33, 77, 82, 105, 118, 121, 123, 124, 125.

33. Front O2 Sensor
77. Rear O2 Sensor
82. Crank Position Sensor (OBD)
105. EGRC Solenoid/V
118. Shift Solenoid/V A
121. Shift Solenoid/V B
123.Overrun Clutch S/V
124. TOR Conv clutch SV
125 Line Pressure S/V

gonna look em up as soon as i get the chance.