PDA

View Full Version : Help with starter (?)

twitchy
05-16-2003, 08:04 PM
Okay so I go and get gas an hour ago and go in to pay, everything is cheeky. I come back outside and the damn car wont start, just makes a click (one click) when i turn the key

boosting didnt do a damn thing

I thought it was the starter making the click (ie broken solenoid perhaps?)

Then i realized the noise was coming from 2 relay boxes, one at the front one at the back and the starter wasnt making a sound

anyone have this problem? Anyone know how to fix it? How about testing a relay, assuming I can find the right one?

I sprayed the electrical contacts on the starter with WD40 but havent gone into the relays yet

THANKS

PARAD0X
05-16-2003, 09:23 PM
push start til you get it to a mechanic to diagnose the prob.

twitchy
05-17-2003, 01:04 AM
im trying to not have to go to a mechanic since theyre kind of expensive and I dont get paid till next week

anyone have any ideas of what I can do for cheap
in my driveway?

kalieaire
05-17-2003, 02:42 AM
sounds like the brushes in your starter are worn out.

go to partsamerica, autozone, kragen, schucks, or whatever and get a replacement part for it and fix it yourself.

at worst, you'll have to get a new armature because the commutator is melted.

stop clicking it, you'll kill the starter even more and make it even harder to fix.

when u get the new brushes to install into the starter, cut grooves into them to match the commutator so that they'll spin smoothly.

----the two sounds you hear are 1, the relay that sends electricity to the starter unit, and 2, the solenoid that engages the starter on the flywheel and turns on the starter.

electricity is flowing to the starter, it's just that the brushes are worn from old age most likely.

Yoshi
05-17-2003, 10:51 AM
search for starter issues, I posted about this within the past month. Same issue. For a temp fix, get a jack handle and slam the solenoid a few times are hard as you can (which won't be that hard cuz of the angle). Be very careful not to hit the electrical contacts and cause an arc, the starter is right next to the fuel system.

It's not really worth tearing down your starter when a replacement from car-part.com is so cheap, just replace the sucker, you'd have to pull it out to rebuild it anyhow. Starters are cheap.

twitchy
05-17-2003, 01:30 PM
yeah, thanks for all the advice folks,

I ended up just having it changed today at canadian tire coz I cant afford to be without a working car this week. It cost 270 installed (canadian) for a brand new starter with a 5 year warranty from bosch

for future reference, a starter from a 1990 to 1992 stanza will fit a KA24DE if anyone needs to know
this whole breaking on thing made me wish some junkyards around here were open, and again, that I had a hoist and some decent tools cause i could have done it myself if I had the time.. oh well!