PDA

View Full Version : 350Z brakes

lavotski
05-15-2003, 08:52 PM
If I can pick up a free set of brakes from a 350Z Performance Package, would they fit on my S14? Would it be difficult, or costly to do? Would I want to, or should I just wait and get a set of 300ZX TT calipers?

twitchy
05-15-2003, 10:12 PM
Just hack the old ones off and use a lot of duct tape and goop to hold the new ones on..

Just kidding. I dont think the 350 brakes will fit. I dont know why I think that but with enough money and imagination you may be able to rig something

mrmephistopheles
05-15-2003, 10:35 PM
350Z brakes will bolt up, as long as your car is 5 lug.
Difficulty is probably minimal, as long as your source the pads and rotors with the brakes, and for insurance, the lines as well.
If they're the Brembo brakes, you're required to sell them to me for $500.
twitchy: if you don't know, don't post. speculation gets everyone nowhere. don't be a useless post whore.

twitchy
05-15-2003, 10:38 PM
sorry there cheif

didnt see that rule saying you couldnt post a speculation

mrmephistopheles
05-15-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by twitchy
didnt see that rule saying you couldnt post a speculation

I never said there was a rule.. Forgive me for trying to help you prevent yourself from looking like a moron! :)

andrave
05-15-2003, 10:47 PM
search already has this info in it.

misnomer
05-16-2003, 03:39 AM
hehe, don't take it personally, twitch. We're just trying to keep missinformation from spreading.

What about rim clearance on the 350z brakes?

lavotski
05-16-2003, 07:45 AM
I've got a 5 lug SE with the stock 16's, so I don't think that will really be the problem. I wish my friend was getting rid of his brembos, but sadly, no. I was at the nissan dealership yesterday, but I wasn't able to find out if the stock 350z calipers are two piston or not. I'm assuming they are only because the car is so hefty. What about the fittings for the stainless lines, are the ones on 350z calipers the same style as on the 300zx 4 piston calipers?

Dousan_PG
05-16-2003, 08:40 AM
your sort of a pioneer on this bro
you=gineau pig.

:)

let us know exactly what you ended up using

i cant recall anyone who's put the new 350z brembo brakes on a 240sx.

uiuc240
05-16-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by dousan36
your sort of a pioneer on this bro
you=gineau pig.

i cant recall anyone who's put the new 350z brembo brakes on a 240sx.

The Performance Package does not include the Brembos. That's on the Track Model. The Performance model has brakes similar to the outgoing Z32 TT brakes. I would imagine fitment to be almost identical to 30mm Z calipers. Perhaps I should stop by the Nissan dealer later today and take a quick pic of a "normal" Z's brakes just for reference.

Oh, and the Brembos are the same Brembos as the R34 GT-R, so they fit too.

Eric

lavotski
05-16-2003, 09:54 AM
the performance package brakes aren't as big as the 300zx tt 4 piston's, but they are more sizable than the stock 240sx brakes. i think the 350z one will be two piston calipers, but i'm not really positive. the only reason i'm even thinking of it is because my friend is getting a set of stoptech's for his new 350 and may just be giving away his stockers

uiuc240
05-16-2003, 10:24 AM
whatever the Z has will be better than the puny s13/s14 brakes. if they are free, by all means put them on your car! :)

Eric

mrmephistopheles
05-16-2003, 10:29 AM
Something interesting to note is that the non-Brembo front caliper for the new Z is the SAME, not similar, but the SAME as the new Altima. The only difference between the two are rotor and pad. IIRC, the Z's rotor has a slightly greater circumference and slightly greater thickness, with a more aggressive pad.
Either way, it's awesome to know that we have 2 sources for newer, bigger brakes.

The only bad aspect about these swaps is mystery surrounding lines.. that's why I recommended to lavotski to get the lines, as well.

lavotski
05-16-2003, 10:53 AM
i had/have no intention of going without braided lines. I was mainly trying to figure out that if i get those 350 brakes and stainless lines, then swap up to 300zx tt brakes in the future, will the stainless lines carry over, or will i have to buy all new ones?

uiuc240
05-16-2003, 11:12 AM
that's a mystery. The Z32 brakes have straight, threaded fittings...not sure what the Z33 brakes have. Could be a banjo bolt setup like the stock S-chassis brakes.

Eric

05-16-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by uiuc240
The Performance Package does not include the Brembos. That's on the Track Model. The Performance model has brakes similar to the outgoing Z32 TT brakes. I would imagine fitment to be almost identical to 30mm Z calipers. Perhaps I should stop by the Nissan dealer later today and take a quick pic of a "normal" Z's brakes just for reference.

Oh, and the Brembos are the same Brembos as the R34 GT-R, so they fit too.

Eric

Actually the Brembo brakes on the 350Z have a significant difference from the R34 (and R33) GT-R. The calipers have the same specs and use the same pads, the rotors are the same diameter and are 5 lug. But the offset is different. The 350Z brembo brakes have a shorter rotor hat. So on most cars you are likely to run into wheel clearance problems trying to fit the 350Z brembo brakes. It is also not clear also that the calipers and rotors will bolt up, the bolt pattern on the caliper is likely the same but the offsets between the caliper and rotors may not work...

I would guess the regular 350Z Nissan brakes would have the different offset as well...

05-16-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by mrmephistopheles
Something interesting to note is that the non-Brembo front caliper for the new Z is the SAME, not similar, but the SAME as the new Altima. The only difference between the two are rotor and pad. IIRC, the Z's rotor has a slightly greater circumference and slightly greater thickness, with a more aggressive pad.
Either way, it's awesome to know that we have 2 sources for newer, bigger brakes.

The only bad aspect about these swaps is mystery surrounding lines.. that's why I recommended to lavotski to get the lines, as well.

The non-Brembo front caliper on the 350Z is similar to the 90+ Maxima brake caliper, they use the same pads.

OVerall the Z32 brakes are a better upgrade, even the Maxima guys upgrade to the Z32 brakes :)

AKADriver
05-16-2003, 12:59 PM
haha! So they're basically S13 180SX/Silvia K's brakes. What goes around, comes around...

mrmephistopheles
05-16-2003, 01:12 PM
No. We can ask Deltrr to confirm, because I'm sure he has access to ASIST (Nissan In-house technical program). They are not the same as Maxima (well, old maxima) brakes. The rotor is MUCH larger and much more thick. I don't know if kuah has worked on/driven/etc a new altima or new z, and i'm not going to scoff at the information he has to provide. Z32 brakes are a worthy upgrade to S13s and older Maximas, because they have single piston floating calipers. These new brakes I'm speaking of are dual piston floating calipers. Also, a good upgrade. However, kuah makes it sound like it'd be a good upgrade to go from stock Z33 brakes to Z32 brakes, and it wouldn't necessarily be good.
Any time you go from floating to fixed, you add more controllability, but not necessarily more stopping power, at least in this case.
Anyway, I would like to see some Z32 brakes on a Z33, just for giggles.

05-16-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by mrmephistopheles
No. We can ask Deltrr to confirm, because I'm sure he has access to ASIST (Nissan In-house technical program). They are not the same as Maxima (well, old maxima) brakes. The rotor is MUCH larger and much more thick. I don't know if kuah has worked on/driven/etc a new altima or new z, and i'm not going to scoff at the information he has to provide. Z32 brakes are a worthy upgrade to S13s and older Maximas, because they have single piston floating calipers. These new brakes I'm speaking of are dual piston floating calipers. Also, a good upgrade. However, kuah makes it sound like it'd be a good upgrade to go from stock Z33 brakes to Z32 brakes, and it wouldn't necessarily be good.
Any time you go from floating to fixed, you add more controllability, but not necessarily more stopping power, at least in this case.
Anyway, I would like to see some Z32 brakes on a Z33, just for giggles.

We are all learning our way around the new 350Z :) Here are the specs on the different brakes:

350Z standard brakes:
Rotor size 296mm x 24mm
Nissan 2 pot calipers, same pads as 91-02 Maxima

300ZX (Z32) brakes:
Rotor size 280mm x 30mm
Nissan/Sumitomo 4 pot calipers

R32 GT-R brakes (sold through Nismo USA as "Skyline" brakes):
Rotor size 296mm x 32mm
Nissan/Sumitomo 4 pot calipers, same pads as Z32

350Z track model brakes:
Rotor size 324mm x 30mm
Brembo 4 pot calipers, same pads as R33/R34 GT-R, BMW 850

The problem as I see it is that I don't think anyone really knows if the 350Z brakes are easily interchangeable with earlier Nissan cars like the Z32/240SX. Nissan used to produce all their brakes with the same rotor offset, caliper bolt pattern and relative mounting points of the caliper and rotor on the wheel hub. This was why the Nissan brakes were all easily interchangeable.

Unfortunately I have physically compared the R33/R34 GT-R rotor and the 350Z brembo brake rotor, and the offsets on the new 350Z brakes are different. So I don't know if Nissan has kept the hub relative mounting points for the caliper and rotor the same either. Until someone actually tries it, we cannot assume the brakes on the 350Z can be easily swapped with the earlier Nissan cars...

lavotski
05-16-2003, 02:20 PM
i'm hoping to take a shot at test fitment in a month or so for putting stock 2-pot 350z brakes on my 240, unless anyone finds out otherwise that the offset makes it impossible.

lavotski
05-16-2003, 02:21 PM
...but i'm not getting my hopes up, which sux cuz they're free

sykikchimp
05-19-2003, 01:15 PM
so it would be safe to assume if the regular 350z brakes fit on the 240sx, that the brembos would also fit (barring wheel clearance)?

I found out that they are $478 each from Nissan, and have the same brake fittings as the 300zx brakes..

drifties151
05-19-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by sykikchimp
so it would be safe to assume if the regular 350z brakes fit on the 240sx, that the brembos would also fit (barring wheel clearance)?

I found out that they are $478 each from Nissan, and have the same brake fittings as the 300zx brakes..
so the S/S lines we would use when doing the "normal" Z32 conversion would work with the Z33 swap, right?

05-21-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by sykikchimp

Yes, if the regular 350Z brakes fit the Brembos will fit. $478 is the price per caliper? That's cheaper than I thought. But rotors is a big problem right now, they are like $600 each from Nissan... will have to wait a year or so for aftermarket rotors to become readily available.

05-21-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by drifties151
so the S/S lines we would use when doing the "normal" Z32 conversion would work with the Z33 swap, right?

Most likely, if there is enough length on the line to reach the calipers...

driftstyre
09-11-2003, 10:44 PM
Last week I replaced the stock two piston front, one piston rear 350z setup with the "track" Brembos. The rotors and calipers were close to $4500 alone, wholesale! The dealer in Boston forgot to tell us that the rear caliper mounting bolts were different and also, though I mounted all 4 calipers with banjo fitting/stainless lines, I think on the rear there is a complex hard line setup that requires lines different than what I had. The guy at the dealership parts desk said the part #s were the same (for the track package lines and stock package lines) but who knows. I took the car up to the Mass. Pike to bed in the brakes and with stainless lines, Mintex C_tech Pro pads, and hoosier DOT slicks the car was stopping (after bedding them in) so unbelieveably fast. Most of the cars I've driven with a track brake setup don't have ABS but with the 350, I could put my foot to the floor (at least try) and the car would do the rest. No abs for drifting though.