PDA

View Full Version : weird rb20 problem...can't figure it out

carcrzy920
11-05-2009, 11:18 AM
so ive been chaseing this problem for the last month or two searching my *** off on every forum out there. The problem is i am only running on two cylinders. from the radiator to the firewall it fire like this
#1fire #2no fire #3fire #4 no fire #5 no fire #6 no fire. i am getting spark for sure and all my injectors are clicking. i have done a compression check and all cylinders came between 140-150. none over or below that. no boost leaks, no codes. nothing. i had a fried ecu so i bought one off ebay and thats what i use now. but on my old freid ecu all the little electrobe things that fire the coils are fried but the first one and the last one. when i plug in the ecu it runs those two cylinders and thats it. the new one has no burnt spots or anything like that. if i pull out my dipstick and put it directly under my nose i think it smells very faintly of gas but its extremely hard to smell. still feels like oil and doesnt evaporate at all and looks nice and golden like it should no discoloration at all. if anyone has any ideas please help me because i really am starting to hate this car and almost want to sell it. :ugh:

roboticnissan
11-05-2009, 11:28 AM
if its not firing that means either no gas or no spark. if both are there then thats not the problem. it could be timing tho. check your cas.

bardabe
11-05-2009, 11:50 AM
if the injectors are clicking, try swaping coil pack locations, you MIGHT have bad coilpacks let me know how it reacts o that.

Brew
11-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Is this a fresh swap that hasn't ran yet or did it work properly before?

Spray some quick start in the intake, that's an easy way to check if it's fuel or not. If it runs, you have a fuel problem. If it doesn't run, it's something else... usually a spark problem.

carcrzy920
11-05-2009, 01:06 PM
every injector clicks and every coil pack fires ive moved coils and even gone through the hassel of moving injectors. no change. the guy i bought it from said it ran but i never saw it run so i just went with his word. i just poped off the oil cap and smelled in the head. smells kinda strong of gas. stuck injector? stuck valve? i can unplug all the cylinders that i said arent firing and not a single thing changes.

Yellow4g63
11-05-2009, 02:04 PM
could be the ignitor.

carcrzy920
11-05-2009, 03:44 PM
changed it twice got the j30 ignitor wired in. changed mafs too. no codes. ive done just about every imaginable thing to this engine beside tear it down. it did run on all cylinders one time about a week back i had retimed it to 0tdc not knowing it had to be to 15tdc but i didnt put the bolts in the cam sensor and it was doing this same problem before this just so you know. and well i started it up and still ran like it does know and then the cam sensor desided it wasnt part of the engine and fell out and needless to say the engine stoped and back fired and crap. so i retimed it to 0tdc and put it back in with a bolt this time and omg its running on all six but timeing was off. i turn it off reset to 15tdc and its back to its retarted ways. idk i hate this engine im about to just go ka-t.

Yellow4g63
11-05-2009, 04:05 PM
If it's not the ignitor then it's prob the CAS. You can take all the coil packs out and turn the CAS to make sure they all fire. make sure to put spark plugs in the coil or u won't see the spark.

carcrzy920
11-05-2009, 05:02 PM
done it and they all fire. all six spark. how do i find out if the cam sensor is bad?

carcrzy920
11-09-2009, 09:09 AM
still havent solved anything with this thing and i was supposed to have someone come help me but they never came again for like the 4th time. any one have any more ideas? if you need more info let me know ill tell you everything its doing.

Yellow4g63
11-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Cam sensor you there might be a way to ohm it. Would have to look in the FSM for that trouble shooting info.

carcrzy920
11-09-2009, 02:34 PM
haha i dont think you realize how long it takes to download the fsm on 56k. could someone look it up for me and let me know. i would appreciate it alot. ill try to download it but last time i tried it was guna take like 4 hours.

Yellow4g63
11-09-2009, 02:39 PM
LoL yeah I need to redownload it anyway.

Zacho
11-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Have you checked the ECU for codes?

Go walk around your neighborhood and get some high speed and download FSM. SOOOOO helpful.

Yellow4g63
11-09-2009, 07:07 PM
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/Bluerb240/castest-1.jpg

I can't rem my log in for my server so I had to put it on photobucket.

carcrzy920
11-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Have you checked the ECU for codes?

Go walk around your neighborhood and get some high speed and download FSM. SOOOOO helpful.

yea ive checked all codes and its 55 for a while then i got 13 and 43. 13 is cuz the wires going to the plug are a little messed up and arent give a good conection so i got fix that. and i dont know why im getting 43 now which is tps. im going to clear the codes today after school and start it up and see what comes back.

also i live in the middle of no where so no one has high speed and the people that do found out i was taken it and put a password on it haha.

carcrzy920
11-14-2009, 08:28 PM
okay no more codes, but still runs like poo. okay also totally forgot to mention this. i have my old ecu that has the little electrobes for the coils fried except for the 1st and last one. with the ecu in the car now it runs on 1st and 3rd. with fried ecu runs on 1st and 6th. but the ecu in the car now is completly fine looking when i pop the cover off. any advice would be so appreciated greatly. thanks for all the help so far.