PDA

View Full Version : headlights

opiate411
07-01-2001, 03:54 PM
i have a 1992 240sx SE. and as of late ive run into a few problems.
1) The headlights are up and wont go down (i've tried to disconnect the neg. battery cable, wind them down manually, and then try the switch again...they go up and stay up and wont go down (also they dont pop up when i turn on the headlights as they should, only when you press the popup button on the dash)

2) i accidentally slipped the car into 2nd gear doing 90 mph on the highway, i didnt fully engage the clutch (stupid yes i know) but it was enought to make my rear tires squeal a little as they started dragging) now i'm getting a tapping sound from the engine right around 3000rpm... my votes are that the timing is off(it lacks a bit in power since then too) or that the timing chain guides are broken and that's what i'm hearing(but the tapping is consitent and constant unlike a chain rattle)

3) and last but not least, my speedometer quit working at the same time as this engine sound started after my little down shift incident (well, quit the next day actually) so i was wondering if its possible i crushed the gear that turns the speedo sensor(my car does not have a cable, just an electronic sensor on the transmission which i havent pulled out to check yet(have to drain transmission for that).

if anyone has some ideas i'm ready for a bit of help.

- thanks very much to anyone who decides to respond

weirdstyles.net
07-15-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by opiate411
i have a 1992 240sx SE. and as of late ive run into a few problems.
1) _The headlights are up and wont go down (i've tried to disconnect the neg. battery cable, wind them down manually, and then try the switch again...they go up and stay up and wont go down (also they dont pop up when i turn on the headlights as they should, only when you press the popup button on the dash)

if anyone has some ideas i'm ready for a bit of help.

- thanks very much to anyone who decides to respond

I ressurected this to prove the usefulness of the search button...

regardless, I have been having the same problem, yet in reverse. The headlamps will come up all nice an quietly, with the headlight switch or the headlight motor switch (you know what i mean) and then their bein real ghey. When you switch the lights off, or hit the motor switch again I get no noise, no movement. Not even a reach around.

Both the H/L RET relays have been replaced and tested as well as the H/L Ret Down and H/L Ret Cont replays. H/L Motor (cant remember name 25A), Light control and all headlamp fuses are in tact. Please dont tell me I have to trace evey fookin wire, to every relay. I know the motor works, I powered both if the "motion prongs" Light one up, she spins 180* and stops, light the second one up she finishes the 360* motion. So it has to be in the wiring. Can I get a few good ideas of where to start, problems you may have had?

I opened the headlight motor switch (this is the switch right about 1990 240SX's cruise control On/Off). I jumped the connecters top two got nothing, no movement. The bottom two send the lights up. Lil help here guy, I have been at this since 11AM and its 5... im no electrician.

edit for the techs out there:

The relay under the air box (you should be familiar with the fastback for this, with power locks, windows and, ****) The H/L Ret. Down relay; Connector five has constant power. Connector between relay and h/l motor; connection 1 has power when h/l motor switch is turned on. But not when the h/l motor switch is turned off

While no other connection ^ has any power ever, whether or not the h/l motor switch is on or off....wtf?

Connection between replay and motor:

1 - 2 - x
3 - 4 - 5

will attach H/L Ret Down relay to repost below

weirdstyles.net
07-15-2003, 05:57 PM
:repost:

weirdstyles.net
07-15-2003, 06:03 PM
:repost:

i should get a digi cam shouldnt i? Regardless, this is the top of the relay.

radhaz
07-15-2003, 07:29 PM
Stop the madness :axe: I'm kinda in a rush tonight and not really sure what you are looking for so this may not help at all but here goes bud...

Without me being there with a multimeter in my hand and the full schematics it is kinda hard to give you a definite answer; however, here goes nothing

Looking at your pin diagram you drew the "coil" is from 1 to 7
The signal the relay should pass is on pin 3
If your diagram is for the denergized state then thats how it should look when its off

When you "energize" the relay you apply power to #1 which causes pin 3 to "contact" pin #5 instead of pin #4.

NOTE DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK OF DAMAGE TO YOUR EQUIPMENT
If you want to jumper stuff around without a multimeter, here's some simple things to try:

Without turning the circuit on, jumper 3 to 5 and see if the lights go up. If it does this means the signal is present at 3.

If the lights don't go up while jumpered with the switch off, then turn on the circuit.

Relays can fault out a couple of different ways, some common ones are the mechanical contacts fail, the coils open up, or the case manages to get shorted against an internal piece resulting in a "ground".

Faulk, I think I posted the headlight diagrams for someone a few months ago.... look for my post it might help. I have to work an extremely late shift today/tomorrow so I won't be able to look at this for a day or two sorry.. let me know what you find out and if I get some quick breaks I will check this post and see if I can help. If you can get a multimeter it will make troubleshooting go a buttload faster.

twitchy
07-15-2003, 11:39 PM
well connectors aside on my friends 93 240sX it was a bad ground. The wire was rusted and not making a contact. I dont remember where it was exactly although it was fairly easy to find...somewhere near the rad...Im not going to look now its pouring outside and my dads damn civic is in the garage, but check your ground cables and good luck

weirdstyles.net
07-16-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by radhaz

Looking at your pin diagram you drew the "coil" is from 1 to 7
The signal the relay should pass is on pin 3
If your diagram is for the denergized state then thats how it should look when its off

Dont really follow this part. 1-7? On either connector there is onyl 5-6 "pins".

Ill be on her all day, so if worst some to worst, Ill talk to you in two days when you get time.

radhaz
07-16-2003, 06:27 PM
Ok im off work and dead tired but I've got some time to help you for now at least :)

here's a simpler diagram that might help