PDA

View Full Version : SMOG help/questions SOCAL

90240sr
10-31-2009, 04:13 PM
I jsut failed my smog test. Everything passed fine and lower then average. My NO (PPM) passed at 25mph at 677 and passing is 738. At 15mph i failed at 1060 when the max is 799. I replaced my O2 sensor about a month ago. I figure it is either my catalitic converter or i need to clean out my EGR. Does anyone have any insight? And also know where to get a cat for a good price. Pdm has them for $160 but can you get any better deals. Thank you

sidedrifts13
10-31-2009, 04:20 PM
i got a complete exhoust and a cat in good condition for sale pm me

NINJASPY
10-31-2009, 04:38 PM
don't waste your money on a cat. Go to a pass or don't pay place. Make sure your car is fully warm/hot so the cat is working correctly. If anything buy the pass smog in a can stuff, that stuff usually works. Change oil, spark plugs etc, but dont waste 160 on a cat.

90240sr
10-31-2009, 04:41 PM
I went to a place where i can go again with in 20 days. I changed my spark plug and spark plug wired about 2 months ago.

90240sr
11-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Is there any bottle pass remedy anyone would suggest? I am pretty close so I was gonna change my oil, clean out the TB and the EGR and see if I pass.

importdude
11-03-2009, 12:23 PM
pm me.....

dan240
11-03-2009, 01:19 PM
don't waste your money on a cat. Go to a pass or don't pay place. Make sure your car is fully warm/hot so the cat is working correctly. If anything buy the pass smog in a can stuff, that stuff usually works. Change oil, spark plugs etc, but dont waste 160 on a cat.

I've used the "Gauranteed to Pass" stuff twice. Once on my 240sx and once on my Jeep. Both times it reduced the readings by ~1-2%. In my book that is within the accuracy of the test itself. Both vehicles received new catalytic converters and passed without any problem. Both vehicles had a full tune up, new oil, warmed up, etc..

California has new smog laws in regards to your Cat. If you do purchase one make sure that you buy one that is CARB legal. The smog tech inspected the Cat on my car the last time I took it in. They will fail you for it, and can fail you even if the Cat was on the car last time you took it in (previous to the law change). The only direct fit CARB legal cat I am aware of is from Magnaflow (other than OEM). There may be others out now, this was about a year ago. There are several weld-in Cats available and they are cheaper. I don't know if you have access to a welder or not.

Best,

95~240sx~213
11-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Dude dont waste you time on doing shit!!!
Just go to a place were they just pass the dam smog!!
It only like 60$ more to pass it!
You just have to ask b4 u do-it!

drift freaq
11-03-2009, 02:13 PM
I've used the "Gauranteed to Pass" stuff twice. Once on my 240sx and once on my Jeep. Both times it reduced the readings by ~1-2%. In my book that is within the accuracy of the test itself. Both vehicles received new catalytic converters and passed without any problem. Both vehicles had a full tune up, new oil, warmed up, etc..

California has new smog laws in regards to your Cat. If you do purchase one make sure that you buy one that is CARB legal. The smog tech inspected the Cat on my car the last time I took it in. They will fail you for it, and can fail you even if the Cat was on the car last time you took it in (previous to the law change). The only direct fit CARB legal cat I am aware of is from Magnaflow (other than OEM). There may be others out now, this was about a year ago. There are several weld-in Cats available and they are cheaper. I don't know if you have access to a welder or not.

Best,

wow you went to some anal smog tech. LOL . I just smogged my 93 G20 and the tech did not even look at the cat beyond a glance. I also know another tech in my neighborhood that is more expensive and he does not even look at your cat.

To the OP you were not a lot over so I would hazard to say clean your whole aiv/EGR system by spraying carb cleaner directly into your throttle body while revving the engine. Also like Ninja spy said try warming your cat up before the test. Best way to do that is to run the engine at around 2800 rpm for around ten minutes. You do not have to drive it to do that just sit there and keep the revs up at 2800.

S13Disco
11-03-2009, 08:19 PM
NOx is because of your egr system.... remove egr clean out and replace gasket. clean egr tube. and maybe remove the plugs on the Intake manifold and clean the ports out. (allen key for intake port plugs)

dan240
11-04-2009, 08:01 AM
wow you went to some anal smog tech. LOL . I just smogged my 93 G20 and the tech did not even look at the cat beyond a glance. I also know another tech in my neighborhood that is more expensive and he does not even look at your cat.

The last two times I've had to smog my car it was required that I go to a Test Only station. They definitely are more anal about the visual inspection.

ManoNegra
11-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Depends where you go, some places nit-pick while others are pretty mellow.

zenki.life
11-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Depends where you go, some places nit-pick while others are pretty mellow.

and some are so mellow that they dont even pop your hood. wink wink lmao

TougeLove
11-04-2009, 11:31 AM
if our smog laws were less restrictive i would live here forever. theres plenty of sr20's out there passing smog. some of these shops have to be chill about it.