PDA

View Full Version : wheel crud...long story you may not want to know...

guidot
05-14-2003, 05:18 PM
Hey guys and gals,
long time no post. I have an interesting problem. My rear passenger caliper failed and during that time the remnants of the pad and such became crystalized and have since formed on my rim as a rust looking substance. If I had a pic I would post it, but as of right now I don't have access to my camera. I was thinking maybe some Soft Scrub with a brillo pad. I have used carb cleaner, and that does do something, but its a lot of work and it really makes quite a mess. I thought about power-washing too, but that doesn't seem to me as it would work as well. Its like a gritty thing and although power-washing implies lots of pressure that doesn't seem to me as if it would do it.

Thanks for any help and or suggestions.

-J

MNR-Chicago_S13
05-14-2003, 08:30 PM
i don't understand how it formed on your rim? the caliper and pads never touch the rim.

PARAD0X
05-14-2003, 08:33 PM
brake dust residue?

MorganS13
05-14-2003, 09:23 PM
i had/have some nasty stains on my rims from when my caliper froze up before. its a pain in the *** to get off but i'd recommend getting some good wheel cleaner (i love castrol superclean) and a plastic scrub pad. that should do it with some nice scrubbing

orange-grey
05-14-2003, 09:32 PM
I'd try some rail-dust remover. When I was a detailer at a dealership all the cars would come in with little rust spots all over. Threy were from hot particles flying from the train wheels imbedding themselves in the still-drying paint. We would spray something called "Crystal-Wash" over the car and let it dry and get sticky and somehow it would pull the rust out. Then you'd just spray water on it and all the **** would just wash off. You might have a hard time finding this stuff at Pep-Boys though, you might have to order it out of a detailing supply catalog or something.

If that doesn't work, maybe a clay bar and windex?

MorganS13
05-14-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by orange-grey
I'd try some rail-dust remover. When I was a detailer at a dealership all the cars would come in with little rust spots all over. Threy were from hot particles flying from the train wheels imbedding themselves in the still-drying paint. We would spray something called "Crystal-Wash" over the car and let it dry and get sticky and somehow it would pull the rust out. Then you'd just spray water on it and all the **** would just wash off.
slackers, we used clay bars at my dealer!! but luckily infiniti's come partially covered in that plastic wrap for delivery so we rarely had to do much :D i miss that job :sniff sniff:

guidot
05-15-2003, 07:37 AM
It formed on my wheel because as the caliper was seized open the pad was all over the place in there and i think even some of the base of the pad and the caliper arm were shredded by the rotor.
thanks for the suggestions tho, i'll let you know how i do.