PDA

View Full Version : Weird clicking sound from the front...?

Siizzzoooo
05-14-2003, 04:45 PM
I've search a few threads and from the conclusions that several people came to realize...I was thinking it was the Tension rod.

The thing is, it doesnt do it when the car is cold, it takes a little driving to get the clicking to start.

It 95% of the time clicks only when i take RIGHT HAND turns--the harder the turn, the faster the clicks.

Then I noticed yesterday, while i was sitting at a red light, i heard several slow, but sure enough, they were those same exact clicks. The car wasnt even moving...:confused:

It also does it RARELY when i turn the steering wheel to the left.

I'm lost in all this mess. Can anyone help me

:(

So

Siizzzoooo
05-14-2003, 06:02 PM
btw, its an S13

I'm kinda thinking its the electric fan now. :(

Bbandit
05-14-2003, 08:05 PM
it could be anything..
my guesses are
your bearing
or
your power steering belt
you should bring it to your mechanic and see whats up

YellwMonky
05-14-2003, 10:32 PM
did you take off your mechanical fan and replace it with an electric one? or are you talking about the a/c electric fan? I replaced my mechanical fan with an electric one, but my fan is just a bit too large. If it's running and i turn the steering wheel all the way either right or left, i hear my fan hitting the bottom of my radiator. if the clicks are slow, i'm would think its not a fan..

Siizzzoooo
05-15-2003, 03:43 AM
Yes, that what i think may be the problem. I got as close to the noise as i could yesterday, and it sounded like it was coming from the middle of the front bumper--so that assumption sounds like it would be right.

Did you ever fix yours? If so, how?

YellwMonky
05-15-2003, 12:48 PM
no i never fixed mine. However, mine is an aftermarket fan. I'm guessing yours is stock. If you really want to fix it, it may just be a screw loose somewhere. It's pretty self-exlanatory as to how to fix it. u will probably have to take your fan shroud off.

mjjstang
05-15-2003, 02:46 PM
Yah double check your power steering belt because when me and my friend put a new ka into his 92, there was a knocking noise and we found out we forgot to tighten one of the bolts on the power steering pump. Sound went away after we tightened it.

Siizzzoooo
05-15-2003, 04:25 PM
actually, its an electric aftermarket fan with adjustable sensitivity.--i think this is the culprit, but i still dont understand it only making noise when i take right hand turns :confused:

Where is the power steering pump at? I'd like to check that out as well

nismofeind
05-16-2003, 01:56 PM
Sounds like the same problem that I had. Did you install a new exhaust lately??? There is a bolt that sticks out under the car that holds the seat rail. It was hitting my exhaust when my car heated up, the exhaust got hot and moved enough to hit it. I have apexi N1 cat back with Blitz downpipe.

i droped the exhaust and just cut down the bolt. no click.

oh also i could really feel it clicking in my seat.

Siizzzoooo
05-16-2003, 03:34 PM
I do have the Apex'i Dual N1s. But im pretty sure that isnt it. It sounds like its coming more from the front rather than under me.

any more ideas?

AJs14
05-16-2003, 11:18 PM
I have an s14 and it does the same when the motor is cold. When the motor is warm it is gone. I've searched. Any suggestion as well anyone? Thanks

mjjstang
05-18-2003, 05:42 PM
The power steering pump is, if your in front of your car, above the ac compressor on the right side of the engine. There should be like 2-4 bolts (something close to that). Just check and see if they are tight. Also double check the tension screw thing. It could be loose. There is a long 14mm screw and there is another screw behind the tensioner thing that tightens it down. Check all of these screws.

Siizzzoooo
05-18-2003, 06:11 PM
I fixed it today guys.

It WAS the electric fan. The blades would make contact with the piece of metal at the bottom of the radiator.

I'm so relieved its not anything major. :)

YellwMonky
05-18-2003, 06:42 PM
what did you do ? just raies the fan up? what size fan do you have?

Siizzzoooo
05-18-2003, 06:46 PM
all i did was reposition the fan. No biggie.

Im not sure how big it is. It is only a single fan :( but, i wanna say its about 10 inches in diameter, maybe a tad bigger