PDA

View Full Version : Help!

disfilam04
10-29-2009, 12:56 AM
I just purchased an 89 coupe this week and i need some help... I hope you guys have some answers.. after looking over the engine bay.. I see a wire spliced into the EGI pump relay to the negative terminal of the battery. Any ideas of why the previous owner did this? i think this could be a reason why the motor is running rich.

redsx13
10-29-2009, 01:07 AM
I just purchased an 89 coupe this week and i need some help... I hope you guys have some answers.. after looking over the engine bay.. I see a wire spliced into the EGI pump relay to the negative terminal of the battery. Any ideas of why the previous owner did this? i think this could be a reason why the motor is running rich.

hmm, strange. Only thing i could think of is that the harness ground termanal to that spicific relay broken and someone was too lazy/stupid to run the ground wire off the relay to the harness where it belongs.

disfilam04
10-29-2009, 01:26 AM
so would there be a ground problem or fuel pump problem.. when i disconnected the wire from the negative battery terminal the car wouldn't start it would turn but seems fuel isn't getting into the injectors.

redsx13
10-29-2009, 01:30 AM
so would there be a ground problem or fuel pump problem.. when i disconnected the wire from the negative battery terminal the car wouldn't start it would turn but seems fuel isn't getting into the injectors.

nothing wrong with the pump, its a ground problem. Take a picture if you can, i would like to see the condition and locations of the wires involved. There is a major ground the runs through the fuse box, the - terminal from your pump relay should be spliced into that.

disfilam04
10-29-2009, 01:41 AM
I'd have to take a pic of it tomorrow. thanks for the quick reply.