PDA

View Full Version : Fuck my life. Car won't start after oil change.

Adeadcurrent
10-28-2009, 05:37 PM
So I'm changing out the oil on the SR20 and I am havin issues taking the oil filter out. My buddy comes over with an oil wrench and trys to grab it from underneath and in the process makes contact with what I assume was the starter and a huge spark happened. Scared the shit out of him and my immediate thought was fuck now what. So I finish putting the oil in and go to turn it over to cycle the oil. And now it won't start. The car won't start and I'm wondering if the starter is fried.

Has anyone had any issue like this. All other electronics work, just no turn over.

Help....

sacco sideways
10-28-2009, 05:40 PM
sorry to hear about that man...

garagelu
10-28-2009, 05:41 PM
check your fusible links and fuses. Most likely you burnt one up. I'm betting its a fusible link. And fyi, you can't get those at the parts store. They are usually a oem item so check the dealership.

Shadowhunter
10-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Take the starter to autozone and test it. Instead of asking us to theorize about your situation, do something about it. Start ruling stuff out. Next time disconnect the battery terminal.

sacco sideways
10-28-2009, 05:45 PM
^^ always disconnect when working on your car. apperantly even for an oil change

Adeadcurrent
10-28-2009, 05:46 PM
Take the starter to autozone and test it. Instead of asking us to theorize about your situation, do something about it. Start ruling stuff out. Next time disconnect the battery terminal.

Well no shit, I don't have time till this weekend. That's why I was asking if anyone had any ideas. Try to narrow it down. No need to be a dick about it.

ROIDMONKEY
10-28-2009, 05:52 PM
check the main fuses . the big ones

JDM Sil4ty
10-28-2009, 05:59 PM
id do the same

Adeadcurrent
10-28-2009, 05:59 PM

All the starter related fuses are located by the battery right?

BooStedS13SleePeR
10-28-2009, 06:06 PM
yea it would probably be either the fuse or u burned the little wire in the starter i highly doubt u burned the starter.but on a nissan anythings possible haha

Shadowhunter
10-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Well no shit, I don't have time till this weekend. That's why I was asking if anyone had any ideas. Try to narrow it down. No need to be a dick about it.

I'm not being a dick,your just being helpless. You want people to spoonfeed you an answer before you have even lifted a wrench to try and help your self. I gave you an answer, don't get mad at me because your negligence caused your car to get messed up.

garagelu
10-28-2009, 06:21 PM

wow thats some bad advice there. My car won't start so I am going to start taking one part off at a time till I fix it. Yes I am being sarcastic.

But my point is you have to think about it for a second and diagnose things before you start trying to fix it.

And please don't take his advice and pull the starter. You will have wasted an hour or two pulling it.

I don't know for sure where the fusible links are on the s13 but on the s14, they are all in the main fuse box by the battery.

g6civcx
10-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Pull out the FSM and try to figure out what the body harness is doing. Trace the flow of power and see which components have power and which ones don't.

The culprit is likely the fusible link.

Shadowhunter
10-28-2009, 06:29 PM
wow thats some bad advice there. My car won't start so I am going to start taking one part off at a time till I fix it. Yes I am being sarcastic.

But my point is you have to think about it for a second and diagnose things before you start trying to fix it.

Part of the diagnostic is ruling things out, the point I was trying to make to the original poster is to start diagnosing. We can't fix the car over the internet, so checking the fuses and fuseable links is a quick visual inspection, next up the starter.(and it seems like he already knew that)

Had he said I have already checked the fuses and the starter Shit's still not working Then the bases are already covered and we need to start looking at other alternatives.

Too many people come on here asking for answers on how to fix something but have not tried to do anything to fix it themselves. The resources are there, FSM, Search, etc. But no one seems to want to do any legwork to resolve their own issue. I am all for helping someone out but you gotta try some shit on your own before we start speculating as to what it could be. Anyway I'm not gonna start a flame war in this thread,I see the same stuff 100X a day with people not doing anything beforehand to resolve the problem.

jspaeth
10-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Does anyone else see the ultimate irony that the OP's username is

A DEAD CURRENT?

hahahahahahahahah

garagelu
10-28-2009, 06:36 PM
Part of the diagnostic is ruling things out, the point I was trying to make to the original poster is to start diagnosing. We can't fix the car over the internet, so checking the fuses and fuseable links is a quick visual inspection, next up the starter.(and it seems like he already knew that)

Had he said I have already checked the fuses and the starter Shit's still not working Then the bases are already covered and we need to start looking at other alternatives.

Too many people come on here asking for answers on how to fix something but have not tried to do anything to fix it themselves. The resources are there, FSM, Search, etc. But no one seems to want to do any legwork to resolve their own issue. I am all for helping someone out but you gotta try some shit on your own before we start speculating as to what it could be. Anyway I'm not gonna start a flame war in this thread,I see the same stuff 100X a day with people not doing anything beforehand to resolve the problem.

Yea I totally agree with you. Sometimes you do have to consider that some people on here may not have as much technical or automotive knowledge as yourself and/or not have the experience to know where to look for the solution.

And another thing people need to consider before people start knocking on the poster is that sometimes people panic when they get into situations like this. OH NO MY CAR WON'T START.....I gotta ask my peeps on zilvia. They don't even take the time to sit down relax and have a beer before they actually try to diagnose it. I'm at the point where I know I make things worse when I panic and try to rush things but other people may not.

g6civcx
10-28-2009, 06:41 PM
I don't mind asking stupid questions so much as people giving irrelevant info while leaving out crucial info.

What is the car? We assume he has an S-chassis but it could be an old Z for all we know. Hell it may not even be a Nissan.

Then all the fusible links ideas go out the window.

iridesidewayz
10-28-2009, 07:06 PM
hey bro while your checking your fuses also check the connections on your starter and alternator. maybe something was just loose and slipped. the issue is always really simple dont freak just take the time to check every fuse and connection you can...Good luck
heres my :2c:

sidedrifts13
10-28-2009, 07:11 PM
should be an easy fix dont trip out keep calm

Dman II-40
10-29-2009, 04:56 AM
Lol at "Fuck my life" that was a good laugh. Anyway, at least it isn't something major like a rod through the block.

Chrischeezer
10-29-2009, 05:37 AM
omg... f*ck your life?! why cuz u shorted on the alternator or starter?
lol plzzz.. if i had a dime for every time i did that ( id have like 30 cents)

$7.50 for a 75a fuse

"f*ck my life", should be used if u hit a tree and total your car out or kill someone.

ashtonroche
10-29-2009, 12:17 PM
yeah its definetly the main power fuse for sure, he probably contacted the alternator and that would definetly do it. Start is usually straight to the battery but could cause a spike but its usually contacting the alternartor being that makes the most sense if he was loosening the filer with the wrench he would be pushing it towards the front of the car.

LOL this thread is hilarious. Its called look at the problem and find the simple solutions.

The take the starter off was probably the worst idea ive ever heard for a problem like this. hahahaha

DALAZ_68
10-29-2009, 02:25 PM
OP - sell you car...Seriously...

if you cant even change your oil without messing something up, seriously, issues...

and dont point ur fingure to ur friend...how do you know if wouldnt be u feelign like a dumbass for shorting out ur own car...

ohhwell 1 less illegal motor on public roads...

Does anyone else see the ultimate irony that the OP's username is

A DEAD CURRENT?

looked at thread title and looked ar OP username b4 entering the thread, i giggled...

jr_ss
10-29-2009, 03:29 PM
OP - sell you car...Seriously...

if you cant even change your oil without messing something up, seriously, issues...

and dont point ur fingure to ur friend...how do you know if wouldnt be u feelign like a dumbass for shorting out ur own car...

ohhwell 1 less illegal motor on public roads...

looked at thread title and looked ar OP username b4 entering the thread, i giggled...

Wow, what a completely useless post... Stay off the bandwagon :wackit:.

OP, did you get anywhere with this? Something else you may want to try is hook up a volt meter and see where the power stops on it's way to the starter. Or have your friend attempt to start the car with the volt meter on the power supply to the starter to see if youre getting power there.

projectRDM
10-29-2009, 04:02 PM
Yea I totally agree with you. Sometimes you do have to consider that some people on here may not have as much technical or automotive knowledge as yourself and/or not have the experience to know where to look for the solution.

And another thing people need to consider before people start knocking on the poster is that sometimes people panic when they get into situations like this. OH NO MY CAR WON'T START.....I gotta ask my peeps on zilvia. They don't even take the time to sit down relax and have a beer before they actually try to diagnose it. I'm at the point where I know I make things worse when I panic and try to rush things but other people may not.

This is zilvia. Maybe 1% of the members here have any technical or automotive knowledge. Panic isn't the issue here, it's ignorance.

john891
10-29-2009, 04:24 PM
done this before... you blew a fuse !!

singlecamslam
10-29-2009, 09:58 PM
i LOVE zilvia.net its where i go to get my comedy relief. To the OP, i think you put bad oil in it.

Hashiriya415
10-29-2009, 11:06 PM
I got main fuses for sale PM me if you want it $5 shipped or $3 picked up
$20 installation
$60 for oil change since your car does magical things every time you change the oil.
$20 to teach you how to change the oil
$20 to put an insulator around your starter wires
$20 to put an insulator around your alternator wires

Chrischeezer
10-30-2009, 02:17 AM
i LOVE zilvia.net its where i go to get my comedy relief. To the OP, i think you put bad oil in it.

yeah good point,
make sure u put oil in the motor.. not pineapple juice

Walperstyle
10-30-2009, 04:04 AM
yeah dude, the mechanically inclined people kinda come off a little pissy because we found out that we learn more in the garage by looking, not being on the internet asking questions.

We all are guilty of asking for 'opinions' though.

You'll get there. I dont think you have bad Oil, but who knows, your buddy maybe poured it somewhere else, or knocked something lose. etc.

Btw, if you want to know how to fix an issue, just search, you are not the first that had electrical/starter issues.

Adeadcurrent
10-30-2009, 06:17 PM
Wow, I didn't think this would start a fucking pissing contest, but I guess it is Zilvia. Thank you for the help to all that did, I got off early today and there is still daylight so I'm going to look around, I picked up a 75a fuse because my current one popped and I put it in and still the same problem. I'll try the voltmeter test as well.

And to the person who said sell your car, you can go fuck your self. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Thanks guys.

singlecamslam
10-30-2009, 06:22 PM
You can start by searching.

Devens240
10-30-2009, 06:29 PM
This is zilvia. Maybe 1% of the members here have any technical or automotive knowledge. Panic isn't the issue here, it's ignorance.

+1000000000000000000000000:Owned:

HemiCharger
10-30-2009, 07:28 PM
+1000000000000000000000000:Owned:

All we have as sources of information is each other. It is not like you could call your local Nissan dealer and tell them --"hey I have a japan sourced S20DET which was never sold here, has 5 or 6 different series of the motor with wiring differences among almost all years of production, Could you help me out with a starter problem?" When they say No where do you go then.

I learn something new about my series 2 s14 S20det motor all the time and here is a guy frustrated because he can not figure out what went wrong. Anyone could make that mistake. Hell I though I froze my engine up with a weak battery would not crank the car.... stuff like this happens.....

J90lude
10-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Lol at "Fuck my life" that was a good laugh. Anyway, at least it isn't something major like a rod through the block.

Yeah!! :keke:

garagelu
10-30-2009, 09:53 PM
I learn something new about my series 2 s14 S20det motor all the time and here is a guy frustrated because he can not figure out what went wrong.

Whats a "series 2" s14 sr20det? This is the second time someone referred to it as a series.

r34sr
10-30-2009, 10:26 PM
After looking at this post, and looking at most of the replies givem...all i can say is zilvia.net has quantity instead of quality when it comes to the users. Want help, go to a real forum like ka-t.org where people actually know about cars......actually on second thought , i don't wanna see any of you idiots on my forum.

lastly its the 75amp fusible link in the fusebox......bet money on that.

HemiCharger
10-30-2009, 11:24 PM
Whats a "series 2" s14 sr20det? This is the second time someone referred to it as a series.

production models of sr20dets from the top of my head

89 on red tops
91-93ish black tops non vtc
94ish zenki blacktops series 1 engine nonball turbo with vtc
96ish kouki series 2 blacktops with different wiring than series 1 and a ball bearing turbo with vtc

98ish on s15 sr20det again different wiring in a different s15 chasis.

and no the only way he would find himself on ka-t is if he wanted to find out about non revving iron block boat anchors for cheap.......:cj:

Walperstyle
10-30-2009, 11:28 PM
^I think most of ka-t.org is tired of these kind of questions too. Both here, and ka-t.org have search engines where other people have asked these questions and got answers. The questions are rather vague. Each car guy needs to know the basics.

car wont start?

replace battery, replace fuses, replace voltage regulator, replace alternator, replace starter, replace coil, or plug leads, or spark plugs, swap ECU. Car guys also know that by swapping parts they can at least get sent in the right direction. Process of Elimination. the FSM also has walk-throughs on how to troubleshoot if people cared to read them.

I know not everyone has the tools, but if you plan on driving a car thats over 10 years old, you should have a garage or access to one.

Electrical issues are sketchy with older cars so its good to have some stuff laying around to swap out, or have a friend thats willing to swap a part for you.

I have 2 alternators, 3 full KA longblocks, a box full of wires and metal, fuses of all shapes for all cars, a couple ecu's. I'm not bragging, Just saying that I prepare for stuff to break or go wrong. Because it will.

Propaganda
10-30-2009, 11:43 PM
After looking at this post, and looking at most of the replies givem...all i can say is zilvia.net has quantity instead of quality when it comes to the users. Want help, go to a real forum like ka-t.org where people actually know about cars......actually on second thought , i don't wanna see any of you idiots on my forum.

lastly its the 75amp fusible link in the fusebox......bet money on that.

If you read, he has already replaced the fuse and it still doesn't do anything. So you need to paypal all of the people in this thread some money:nono:.

I don't want you on my forum either

Anyways, take your starter out and hook jumper wires to it and see if it is the starter that is bad

DataXUnknown
10-31-2009, 02:48 AM
Am I the only one who hammers a screwdiver through an oil filter to loosen it instead of useing those stupid oil filter wrench tools that never work?

It's been covered already, take the starter out and see if it's still good. It's like 2 bolts and a plug and I believe one or two wires. Takes 20 minutes, or less even, if you know what your doing.

And even just for shits and giggles, just in case the starter is stuck which I doubt, try hitting the starter with a tool and starting the car at the same time. You need two people for this.

cobras89
10-31-2009, 03:08 AM
if this is the first time you are changing the oil on an sr then you are not alone...when it was my first time changing the oil i loosened the oil pressure gauge sensor by accident when i was trying to take off the oil filter. i eventually noticed the oil leak and fixed it but it was the hardest taking the filter off... go to murrays and buy a oil filter cupling and your problems will be solved i changed my oil numerous times this way and never wished i didnt need to change my oil again