PDA

View Full Version : Kyb Agx Install

RacerTrue
05-14-2003, 11:35 AM
hello, i would like to know how difficult and what to expect from AGX damper installation on my 1995 s14.

a list of all necessary tools and maybe a step by step prcoess and/or links to informative sites will be GREATLY APPRECIATED, i am new to cars, but i have done my own tune ups, intake install, brake install, and some minor and basic stuff. but i want to keep learning how to work on my car. plus i also have read about some nightmare stories of shops messing stuff up, I WOULD rather be responsible and now have to go trhought the hassle of sueing, etc.

THANKS!@!

uiuc240
05-14-2003, 12:06 PM
If you did the brakes, you're close. You need these things:

2 17mm wrenches/sockets for the strut-to-spindle bolts
14mm socket (IIRC) for the strut tower bolts
Spring compressor (rent from Autozone/Napa/Pep Boys)
17 or 19mm socket for the strut top nut (can't remember which)
Liquid Wrench for stubborn bolts
Torque wrench

I think that's about it. It's been a while though. I can't remember everything. It's really not a tough job. Basically common sense if you take 15 minutes and just look at all the parts.

Eric

andrave
05-14-2003, 12:27 PM
top nut is 17.
autozone lets you borrow the spring compressors for free if you leave a deposit (you get it back).
you will want 1/2" sockets and a long ratchet handle cause the lower strut bolts are stubborn.
I'd soak everything in pb blaster the night before you plan on attacking it.

other than its pretty easy.

uuninja
05-14-2003, 12:48 PM
The rear shocks are the toughest, only becasue you have to remove the rear deck lid to access the bolts. Aside from that it is a piece of cake.

RacerTrue
05-14-2003, 01:06 PM
well, i have all the tools you guys mentioned except for the spring compressor. how exactly do i use it?? other than that, everything sounds like a removal/replace bolt on affair. is there any side i should jack up and do first?? and i have been wondering about how the rear deck is gonna come out cuz i have been wanting to get a rear strut bar but have wondered how would i put it in, any suggestions??

thanks!!

RacerTrue
05-14-2003, 01:08 PM
oh and i assume i can just use WD-40 insetead of whatever PB blaster is, im sorry never heard of it. thanks again!!

AKADriver
05-14-2003, 01:44 PM
WD40 will work, PB Blaster works waaaaay better! It's like $2 a can, don't be cheap!

uiuc240
05-14-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by RacerTrue
well, i have all the tools you guys mentioned except for the spring compressor. how exactly do i use it?? other than that, everything sounds like a removal/replace bolt on affair. is there any side i should jack up and do first?? and i have been wondering about how the rear deck is gonna come out cuz i have been wanting to get a rear strut bar but have wondered how would i put it in, any suggestions??

thanks!!

the spring compressor has two "fingers" and a long bolt. You wrap the "fingers" around the coils of the spring, and then compress the spring by tightening the bolt. Use two compressors for one spring (on opposing sides). Tighten them gradually and equally. Using a drill speeds up the process a LOT.

Do the driver's side front first. Just cuz that's what I did :p And do the fronts first...they are the hardest, and that will make the back seem very easy :D

Don't know about the rear cover stuff on the S14. But on the S13, you just take out all these little plastic buttons that hold the trim in and then you can get to all that stuff. I left the plastic out afterwards...it just gets in the way.

Eric

P.S. PB Blaster/Liquid Wrench is like 987345098234 times better than WD-40. You spray that shiz on, wait 5 minutes, and the bolts come loose like buttah.

Yoshi
05-14-2003, 02:37 PM
I might add, be VERY VERY careful with the spring compressor. They can be extremely dangerous! that spring holds up your car, should it slip out of the compressor, it has no qualms about taking your face off, or making a neat hole through your chest ;)

uiuc240
05-14-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Yoshi
I might add, be VERY VERY careful with the spring compressor. They can be extremely dangerous! that spring holds up your car, should it slip out of the compressor, it has no qualms about taking your face off, or making a neat hole through your chest ;)

OMG, Yoshi! you're gonna scare the guy so bad he won't work on the damn car! dude, it's not THAT dangerous. worst "real" case scenario involves a few cuts and maybe a broken finger. but if you aren't retarded, you'll come out unscathed.

Eric

Yoshi
05-14-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by uiuc240
OMG, Yoshi! you're gonna scare the guy so bad he won't work on the damn car! dude, it's not THAT dangerous. worst "real" case scenario involves a few cuts and maybe a broken finger. but if you aren't retarded, you'll come out unscathed.

Eric

ok you're right, maybe I'm getting carried away, but I'm ALWAYS about the safety first! That and I know a guy who was careless an the spring shot out and broke his arm, bounced off a wall and knocked a precariously balanced paint can onto his cat.

The guy's arm was ok after a few months, but the cat died instantly. I think the guy had really bad karma... hmm... or maybe the cat did.

edit: it was the kind with 2 shafter on the outside for compression instead of hte single one in the middle... I'd only use the kind with the single one in the middle.

uiuc240
05-14-2003, 03:11 PM
it was the kind with 2 shafter on the outside for compression instead of hte single one in the middle... I'd only use the kind with the single one in the middle.

How are you supposed to use that with a coilover suspension (like 240s have). The kind you're talking about is designed for cars that have the spring placed NEXT to the shock, like newer VWs, Ford Foci, etc.

Unless I...totally...missed something (movie reference...do you know it?)

Eric

Fibercus
05-14-2003, 04:04 PM
Be sure to get a spring compressor, I cannot express this enough. As was posted they are FREE (just put your credit card down for deposit or cash) and you get it back upon return.

Quicker + Safer + Efficient = Smart DIYer =]

Iv installed three sets of KYB AGX's + Springs on s14's so far. TO be honest, it took me all of about 5 minutes for find howtos on my own thru boards / google. I just printed em out. The install is very straight forward.

andrave
05-14-2003, 05:55 PM
oh yeah, use a deep socket when you are putting the nut on top of the fronts (the 17 mm).
I used a shallow one ( stupid ) and marred the silk screening that tells you what the clicks are (1-4) on the adjustability...
they should etch that **** on there.

RacerTrue
05-15-2003, 01:29 PM
PB blaster it is eheh and YES i will be very careful with the spring compressor, but one thing still intimidates me on my s14, the REAR struts!! since the deck (which contains the rear speakers) is welded on, i guess i have to take the struts out from under the car correct? and this may be off topic, but since the deck is welded, how do i install a rear strut bar?? if i have to cut holes, what would i use?? thanks!!

uiuc240
05-15-2003, 01:49 PM
no S14 for me...but i highly doubt you will have to cut anything to install a strut bar. you can get to the nuts/bolts from the trunk. it's just under a piece of plastic and a cap.

Eric

Andrew Bohan
05-15-2003, 09:22 PM
when you do fronts, lift both sides of the front at the same time. if the side opposide from the one you're working on is on the ground, the sway bar pushes the control arm up on the side you're working on, and makes it impossible to reinstall the strut assembly. (i know this from personal experience). i think the same is true for the rear.

andrave
05-15-2003, 10:52 PM
hey I just wanted to post up that I did the rears on my s13 today and since they are similar, I'll tell you- they are easy. really easy.

oh, and driving my car around, its a nice upgrade.

one I can't enjoy cause I just destroyed my master cylinder.

speed does me no good if I can't have slow with it...