PDA

View Full Version : Q's about fuel injector and head gasket problem

jsr20det
05-13-2003, 10:15 PM
I have a 90 fastback which I plan to sell. Main reason is because I have a big smog problem. It eats a tremendous amount of gas, pollutets like a factory, and stinks up the place with a gasoline smell. I replaced the o2 sensor and there is no difference. I had my friend who is a mechanic take a took and he said that my fuel injectors are really dirty. He suggested that I use some fuel injector cleaner, I had already used them before with a gas treatment mix, so i told him i already did that. Then he said that I need new injectors.

A friend was with him also and he said that it could be the injectors, or it could be a blown head gasket. I am thinking about fixing the problem if it will cost me under $200. The friend suggested that I swap in a KA24DE motor in there. I have a couple hundred that I could roll on to swap in the DE motor. How much would the the swap cost? I just need the engine alone right? Also, how much would new fuel injectors cost me? How bout the head gasket? I got alot of rust that worries me on the car, should I be worried? is there anything I can do about this?

Sorry for the wave of questions but im just really concerned and looking forward to being one with my car again. Comments/advice/opinions all appreciated. Thx in advance.

N1ceDrgn
05-14-2003, 07:23 AM
What kind of information are you getting off your ECU?

jsr20det
05-14-2003, 03:22 PM
I didnt tap into the ECU, my friend just took a look, and from wat he saw and heard. He knows his stuff pretty good and hes been right every time so Im gonna take his word. I was planning to goto a local shop and ask them to tap into the ECU, and find the problem, then either fix it there or go for a DE motor. I should be able to grab a DE motor for under 500 right?

uiuc240
05-14-2003, 03:25 PM
KA24E is NOTORIOUS for fuel injector failures (especially the seals). Also, the EGR system sucks too. Try getting new injectors (Python is cheap and good) and plugs (NGK) and wires (OEM or NGK) and see if that helps the situation.

Eric

N1ceDrgn
05-14-2003, 03:26 PM
What I was trying to say is the computer will give an error code. I was asking if you had checked that? Usually that will tell you what your problem is or narrow it down to a specific area.

jsr20det
05-14-2003, 09:16 PM
How much would all 4 cost me?? Is it a hard task or can me and my friends do it? Im really considering swapping in a DE motor.

uiuc240
05-15-2003, 09:52 AM
www.autopartsgiant.com

I can't believe I remembered that address...it's been 2 years. You're lucky the coffee is working today ;)

Eric