PDA

View Full Version : Rear Diff Gasket leaking

Shadowhunter
10-25-2009, 12:13 AM
So.. this will be the second time I'm trying to get my rear diff sealed. The first time I used a Kaaz supplied gasket and blue rtv and had leaks. This second time I used an oem gasket with minimal RTV. Cover is not warped. All bolts torqued slowly and properly.And I even let the damn thing sit over night but it still ended up leaking two days later.

I tried looking in the FSM but cannot find a section where it talks about a rear diff cover gasket procedure. And I tried searching here but can't find anything. What I need to know is what you guys have done to get the Rear Cover to seal on there properly. I am thinking of going with straight Permatex ultra black or even the gear oil version of permatex if I can find it, with no paper gasket. I wanna make sure this is ok to do or do I need to spend another $30 on another oem gasket? FYI I am running a kaaz two way with Kaaz powertrain oil. Thanks for any help in advance.

Chrischeezer
10-25-2009, 12:24 AM
are you sure its not leaking out of the breather?

no pressure in the pumpkin, sealing it should be a no brainier not much to go wrong. maybe input or out put shaft seals are warn, not common but it could happen.
Id clean the whole diff.. and check.
I reuse that gasket in the back, and put ultra gray on the other side a bunch of times. never a leak.

Shadowhunter
10-25-2009, 12:45 AM
Input and output shafts are all clean. One spot on the side of the diff is the only place it was leaking from this time. As far as the breather I thought that too, I checked it and it was dry only wet in one spot on the side of the pumpkin. I think maybe more RTV and the hardcore Black not blue stuff that I was using before may be called for. I am just making sure I'm not going nuts here and missing something. This is gonna be the third time I gotta pull this thing out and I got an event to go to next Saturday.(That's life I guess.)

g6civcx
10-25-2009, 08:32 AM
what you guys have done to get the Rear Cover to seal on there properly

Every diff I've touched has been sealed with generic silicone gasket maker that you can get from the auto parts store. As long as it can withstand gear oil it should be ok.

98s14inaz
10-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Double check that you got the old gasket completely off the old cover and diff surface. I had a similar problem and once I had everything clean and re-gasketed it sealed up just fine.

projectRDM
10-25-2009, 06:37 PM
RTV only. I've never used anything else.

Shadowhunter
10-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I picked up some of the Ultra Grey high Torque RTV sealant. And i am gonna try this out, Not gonna mess with the paper gasket anymore. I just wanted to make sure I could get rid of the paper gasket and just use RTV. It's infuriating to have to be taking this thing out for the third time and redo everything so hopefully this will work, I'll keep everyone posted.

g6civcx
10-25-2009, 08:25 PM
I just wanted to make sure I could get rid of the paper gasket and just use RTV

I have never used the pre-made gasket. Just make sure you prep the surface really well and follow the instructions.

lilrusty
10-27-2009, 12:23 AM
ive never used oem gasket. always used permatex grey stuff and ive never ever had a problem. isnt blue stuff just for water pumps and water outlets??