PDA

View Full Version : what is needed to go e85?

mattro
10-21-2009, 11:40 AM
ive done a couple searches but havent found any solid info.

do i need to swap gaskets or anything major like that? or just have my ecu tuned for e85?

im running 72lb. msd's so supplying the fuel wont be a problem.

if anyone can shed some light on this subject it would be great.

S13 curtis
10-21-2009, 04:21 PM
you don't have to change aanything, just have a tune with way more fuel its easy i have it done with my e-manage blue.

onehundredoctane
10-21-2009, 04:32 PM
hm,. . . I haven't done any research but I have "heard" that E85 will eat thru some seal/ gaskets in normal gasoline engines that were not designed to run E85. Not sure if it's fact but it's worth double checking.

kris
10-21-2009, 07:32 PM
what are your reasons for going E-85?

I have run it in my car and yes the rubber does become more brittle over time but in the short term never saw any issues.

Personally speaking unless your trying to compensate for bigger injectors (such as your using an AFC as your only tuning method and you have 650's or something---AFC's usually only control 555's or smaller usually), have a crazy low price on E-85, love the smell of burnt corn (yes it smell of popcorn--at least mine did) or for some reason cant get 105 or better in your area. i wouldnt do it.

For these reasons:

harder to find than regular fuel, mile per mile the cost is the same (the lower cost is offset with the fact you get shitty mileage), and the aforementioned possible issues with certain rubber seals.

What do you need?

-injectors that are bigger (takes about 1.5x more Ethanol to produce the same results as regular fuel---AKA you run 550's now your gonna need 850's minimum with a simple change of fuel)

-a way to control those bigger injectors

Basically thats it in a nutshell. Of course if you want to run some God aweful large turbo things like fuel pumps lines etc etc will come into play

in short--not worth it

ericb382
10-21-2009, 08:46 PM
harder to find than regular fuel, mile per mile the cost is the same (the lower cost is offset with the fact you get shitty mileage), and the aforementioned possible issues with certain rubber seals.
It's about the same cost per mile as pump gas, but with with the 105-110 octane rating, straight gasoline doesn't even come close the the mile per dollar... Not to mention that it burns cooler too...

-injectors that are bigger (takes about 1.5x more Ethanol to produce the same results as regular fuel---AKA you run 550's now your gonna need 850's minimum with a simple change of fuel)

It's more like 1.3x more fuel, if you needed 550's you will now need 740's. Or you could just go with 4 bar fuel pressure and keep your 550's (assuming you were previously running stock fuel pressure.)

ROIDMONKEY
10-21-2009, 10:10 PM
pretty much u run e85 when u going over 500 whp.. instead of paying 10 for 103 octane e85 cheaper

sdrmiami
10-22-2009, 02:07 PM
you need to make sure you have no paper filters you must use metal screen filters also you need to make sure your fuel lines are not cheap rubber of the e85 WILL eat them up. Fuel management is going to be your main problem, if your currently running 72lbs injectors (dont know what power you have) but if they are running more than 60% your gunna max them out with the e85 verry quickly. E85 need 30-40% more fuel to run properly.

Also make sire you have a good catch can set-up and it should be away from the hot side of your car, due to e85 having allot more vapor opposed to regular fuel. I just dynoed my car and made 800hp and its a street car, this fuel is great for tunning but you must be sure you know what your doing with your EGT'z... let me know if you have any questions..

timtiminy
10-22-2009, 02:40 PM
all the hoses in cars newer than 1970's should be viton so should be fine with e85, i have heard about the paper filter being an issue not because of the paper but the glue that they use to hold it to the cartridge. i have heard that it can rust your fuel tank cause it attracts moisture. Getting a tune for it and having big enough injectors is the big thing.

murda-c
10-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Do 240s have plastic tanks? i think they do right?

Never checked, lol.

SurfGuruJeff
01-16-2011, 05:32 PM
I love running E85 in my STi. Since your car has the older fuel system requirements (newer cars need to be able to handle 10% ethanol to begin with), that could be an issue. But for most people upgrading the fuel system to flow more is enough. E85 requires 30% more fuel than pump gas. Mileage goes down, too.

My favorite part, besides the hp, is the smell :D