PDA

View Full Version : diff question

tulsa240sx
10-20-2009, 12:20 PM
ok, i know this has probably already been anwsered before. I searched and didnt find it so im going to post it. Ok, so here is the deal last summer I bought a 1991 Nissan 240sx le. It had an sr swap done to it which had a thrown rod. so, I fixed the motor and got it running. I've been trying to figure out if I should buy a lsd or just weld my diff. I have had friends tell me (they know im on a tight budget) to just weld mine. what im wondering is if I do weld it I get the same results as going with a lsd. I was also wondering if welding the diff would be as reliable though. Thanks for all the help!

tulsa240sx
10-21-2009, 11:22 PM
bump need help

punxva
10-22-2009, 03:04 PM
welding a diff will make it lock all the time, where as a lsd will lock on either acceleration or deceleration or both depending on what way you get, ex 1way 1.5way or 2way. IF you get a good diff, aka not a Kazz it also wont chrip tires when taking sharp corners like in a parking lot nearly as bad as a welded diff. I've got a welded diff and i don't mind it since i don't daily my car, or drive it that much on the street, but i'm going to go ahead and step up and get a 2 way. If you have the money to get a LSD, then go ahead and just get it now. BTW with my welded diff i've ruined 3 good axles.

g6civcx
10-22-2009, 03:27 PM
if I should buy a lsd or just weld my diff

If those are the only choices, buying an LSD is a better solution ignoring all other factors like cost, installation, maintenance, etc.

im on a tight budget

Why are you modding cars?

what im wondering is if I do weld it I get the same results as going with a lsd

No, in my personal experience.

if welding the diff would be as reliable though

Not in my personal experience.

Thanks for all the help!

You're welcome.

tulsa240sx
10-22-2009, 03:54 PM
its not necassarily a tight buget just as of this month it is haha all my bills are due. Next moth I wont have to worry.

!Zar!
10-22-2009, 06:40 PM
So then why don't you wait till next month? Nobody is holding a gun to your head.

It's not time for Race wars yet.

projectRDM
10-22-2009, 10:01 PM
If it really an LE model, it already have a VLSD.

But otherwise, save up and buy one. It's stupid to half ass shit just because you can't afford to do it the right away. Quit listening to your friends too, they're idiots.

tulsa240sx
10-22-2009, 11:47 PM
If it really an LE model, it already have a VLSD.

But otherwise, save up and buy one. It's stupid to half ass shit just because you can't afford to do it the right away. Quit listening to your friends too, they're idiots.

well, thats Why I asked on a forum with people that actually know what they are talking about, Do the le's really come stock with a vlsd?

(im not trying to be a smart ass im just trying to tell you from my point of view, thanks for you help)