PDA

View Full Version : I'm lost: Cluster gauges no longer read. Still illuminates.

shinhed
10-18-2009, 11:27 AM
What could be the problem?

Just installed my tuned ECU and HKS EVC and everything was swell and then one day nothing. It still illuminates, clock works but, that's it. Is there some sort of fuse on the actual cluster?

Andres_G
10-18-2009, 01:40 PM
I got a similar problem. My radio gets no power (checked all fuses) and my clock does not show up but the background still lights up. This is on an S14

johngriff
10-18-2009, 02:25 PM
more than likely you have evc on the same circuit as the cluster. is the evc still working?

shinhed
10-18-2009, 02:45 PM
The EVC stil powers up, but doesn't show a reading for the TPS or the rpm.

johngriff
10-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Does the car still start? That is ODD, b/c the tps works such as:

5v out of Nissan ecm, through harness to tps.

The tps is a 3 wire pot, In(5v), Out(0-5v) and ground. So based on tps position, that tps voltage should be at least .3v at closed throttle. Then the evc should be taped on the return (tps signal) wire, before the ecu.

So you reporting NOT getting a TPS Voltage back is really really weird.

shinhed
10-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Car still starts but runs like absolute ass. Fresh after getting it tuned, it ran awesome. No problems. Within 3-days, my rpm read out failed on the cluster and on the EVC and then the next day, the car starting running rich as hell and I had to limp it home, blowing black smoke the whole time. Maybe my ecu is failing me? It's enthalpy tuned for 550cc injectors, gt2871r, and z32 afm.

fliprayzin240sx
10-19-2009, 05:27 AM
WHat chassis? My S14 cluster power wire grounded out somewhere after the fuse into the back of the cluster. Kept blowing the fuse. I just said fuck it and cut the wire and spliced a 12v power source from the radio and worked fine.

shinhed
10-19-2009, 08:25 AM
It's an s13

twistedsymphony
10-19-2009, 09:10 AM
sounds like you have a grounding issue... all of the gauges use the same ground reference, the illumination is on a separate circuit.

your car is likely limping because the speedo and tach output go from the sensor to the cluster and THEN to the ECU...

I'd check the wiring where you spliced in your evc... and make sure nothing fell apart or shorted out.

johngriff
10-19-2009, 11:18 AM
sounds like you have a grounding issue... all of the gauges use the same ground reference, the illumination is on a separate circuit.

your car is likely limping because the speedo and tach output go from the sensor to the cluster and THEN to the ECU...

I'd check the wiring where you spliced in your evc... and make sure nothing fell apart or shorted out.

+1

Otherwise it might be the 5v driver in your ecu, which would suck bad. I would do a Vtest at the TPS sensor, and a continuity test on the sensors ground to bat/chassis ground.

shinhed
10-30-2009, 10:20 PM
+1

Otherwise it might be the 5v driver in your ecu, which would suck bad. I would do a Vtest at the TPS sensor, and a continuity test on the sensors ground to bat/chassis ground.

Well I replaced the cluster and got everything except the rpm readout fixed. Also, the car runs fine again (t'was a boost leak @ intercooler coupler connection). Can the 5v driver be easily repaired if it's at fault?