PDA

View Full Version : SR won't start ... help please

jupiterl
05-11-2003, 01:51 PM
I just put in my new redtop motor ( previous one blow ).

I check injector, sparks, they all work good. Set timing to factory spec using FSM. and check compression 140, 155, 160, 150

I crank it but never catch. Any reason why ?

Thanks.

mrmephistopheles
05-11-2003, 02:30 PM
did you reinstall your flywheel? did you reinstall your starter? did the new motor come with a f'd up flywheel? those are the only reasons i can think of as to why the starter won't 'catch'.

uiuc240
05-11-2003, 02:40 PM
did you check fuel? are the fuel lines reversed? see if the injectors are spraying. see if fuel flows to the rail when you crank.

Eric

jupiterl
05-11-2003, 11:12 PM
How do I know if there is any fuel to the injector ? I try to disconnect the fuel return line at the fuel rail, then turn the key to ign position, but I didn't see any fuel come out from the return port.

Is the fuel suppose to come out ? or the FPR is dead ? I am using the same fuel rail from my old motor. so if it works before then it should work fine now, right ?

Can someone please also tell me how to set timing ? I heard you have to disconnect the TPS. But in the FSM they didn't say anything about that. I follow the same procedure on the S14 SR FSM on Timing Chain Installation at Engine Mechanical Section.

Procedure:
- remove valve cover.
- rotated crank until the marks line up with cam pulley and set TDC on its compression stroke.
- Insert CAS with marking on the exh. cam spocket line up.
- Put cover back on
- start the car
- Use timing gun to check and adj the timing to +16deg by turning the CAS.

Please correct me if I am wrong or missing anything. I did all the things that I mention but the motor just never catch .... just crank and crank but nothing happen.

jupiterl
05-12-2003, 04:35 PM
Bump. ... plz help.

jupiterl
05-12-2003, 06:21 PM
I did some more testing today. I take out the factory FPR off the fuel rail, with the fuel line still connected. then I turn the key to on and let the fuel pump goes on. Is outlet port on the FPR suppose to shot gas out ? Because in my case there is none.

Please help.

aeontony
05-12-2003, 07:12 PM
You took the FPR off? If you do that, it ought to shoot gas out off the end of the fuel rail or something to that effect, once you prime the pump (by turning the ignition to 'on')

jupiterl
05-12-2003, 07:34 PM
yea, I took the FPR off the fuel rail. But when I start the pump, there is no fuel coming out of the FPR. Does this mean that I have a bad FPR ?

aeontony
05-12-2003, 07:49 PM
If you took the FPR off the fuel rail there wouldn't be fuel coming out of the end of the FPR..because it's not connected to the fuel rail.

Why don't you check for fuel coming out of the fuel line after the fuel filter (use a bucket or something)?

jupiterl
05-12-2003, 09:27 PM
I don't get it , so you meant I have to connect the fuel line (where the fuel come from ) to the other end of the fuel rail instead of the FPR ?

aeontony
05-12-2003, 09:38 PM
That wasn't what I was saying, but yes, you do have to connect the incoming line to the beginning of the fuel rail, and the return line post FPR.

I was saying to just pull the fuel hose and check to see if fuel is even coming out..it sounds like you have a defective pump or something. Do you hear a little mechanical sound from the back of the car when you turn the ignition?

jupiterl
05-12-2003, 11:02 PM
I did pull out just the fuel line and see, there the fuel flows fine. But what I meant is I connect that incoming fuel line to the FPR ( isn't this is right way ? ) but I can't see any fuel pass thru the FPR into the fuel rail.

What you meant is I am connecting them in reverse order ?

here is how I connect them

line from fuel pump > FPR > Fuel Rail > Return to Gas Tank.

but it seems like you are telling me to connect them this way

line from fuel pump > Fuel Rail > FPR > Return to Gas Tank.

Please advise

aeontony
05-12-2003, 11:22 PM
Yeah..the new order is the right order. If you had a fuel pressure gauge hooked to your old setup you'd see that the system's getting too much pressure.

jupiterl
05-13-2003, 07:16 AM
So this is right ?

line from fuel pump > Fuel Rail > FPR > Return to Gas Tank

uiuc240
05-13-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by jupiterl
So this is right ?

line from fuel pump > Fuel Rail > FPR > Return to Gas Tank

Yes.

justeno_heat
05-13-2003, 01:29 PM
Dude I am having the same problem. I just got my redtop in my S13 and I am not getting any fuel either. Did you check the signal at the fuel pump where it plugs into the wires. If you are getting no signal there is something wrong with your ignition. I am getting a local garage to run tests on it right now. If I get my car back before you get it fixed I'll tell you whats wrong.

jupiterl
05-13-2003, 06:14 PM
I did the same way of connecting the Fuel system. I reset the timing and try to start it again. It catch for one Stoke then die. Any reason why now ?

jupiterl
05-13-2003, 06:14 PM
I did the same way of connecting the Fuel system. I reset the timing and try to start it again. It catch for one Stoke then die. Any reason why now ?

uiuc240
05-13-2003, 09:13 PM
it takes a lot of cranking that first time...injectors have to get flowing and whatnot. are you sure it's not flooded now? take out a plug and inspect. are you getting spark? compression?

Eric

jupiterl
05-13-2003, 10:15 PM
I got spark , and compression is not very very good as I mentioned earlier in the post, but I don't think those are the factors.

It catches for a stroke or maybe two but it dies right after that ...

can someone please confirm how to set timing please.

what I did is:
1. Line up timing chain mark
2. TDC on compression stroke
3. Insert CAS and line up orange mark
4. Start the engine.

Am I missing anything regarding the disconnection of TPS ?

Please advise.

jupiterl
05-15-2003, 07:54 AM
bump ... please help.

uiuc240
05-15-2003, 09:16 AM
I honestly don't know what else to tell you.

Are you *SURE* you're getting fuel/spark???? Have you physically watched your injectors shoot fuel? Have you taken out the plugs and watched them spark? I don't know what else to suggest.

Eric

aeontony
05-15-2003, 11:36 AM
After cranking it so many times there might be carbon deposits holding the piston rings in. Try this-remove your fuel injector harness and spark plugs. Crank it for like 10 seconds to clear out the fuel. Then take a funnel and pour a tablespoon of oil down the spark plug holes. Put everything back together and make sure you wipe down the plugs before you try starting. If it starts, your piston rings may just have been sealed shut. Let it heat up so the rings can expand. Make sure to fiddle with the throttle if you have to to keep it alive.

jupiterl
05-15-2003, 01:07 PM
I took out the spark plug and can smell that they are soaped with Oil and Fuel mixture. I will clean them out and try it again tonight.

I may just get new plug , does anyone know the part # for NGK R ? I have a Redtop.

aeontony
05-15-2003, 02:10 PM
Just go to your local autoparts store with a parts computer & ask for plugs from a 94 Sentra with a SR20DE motor. When I asked for plugs for a '95 Sentra for my s14 blacktop the store computer said that it was the 200sx with the SR motor..weird.

You really don't need to buy new spark plugs. I did, but that was because I was dumb and desperate. Just spray it with carb cleaner, wipe them off (not the tip, but everywhere around it), and sit and let dry for 10 minutes.

jupiterl
05-15-2003, 08:42 PM
I tried cleaning up the Spark plug and tried to start the engine again, and it won't even catch. but I pull the coilpacks and test it with spark plug and there is spark.

jupiterl
05-17-2003, 10:42 PM
Today I spray the TB with some carb cleaner. Put back all the IC pipes. Then I start the car again ... it works. What problem is it ?

Also, I started the motor, it run and idle fine, but then what happen is there is somke coming from underneath the Exh. Manifold. Could that be oil or coolant feeding line is leaking ?

aeontony
05-18-2003, 02:44 AM
Did the compression improve? Maybe you cleared out some deposits on your valves or something (stuck valve?)..

Smoke from a new exhaust mani is common, from the oil of people touching it so much. Smoke from _underneath_ the manifold may indicate your turbo is leaking oil or something.