PDA

View Full Version : smog issues with stock ka24de

Sileighty_DRFT89
10-14-2009, 02:16 PM
I recently got reffed and I need my car to pass emissions (modified smog ticket). when I got it tested at the reff yesterday it had failed on HC's and CO's. I've changed the cat, changed plugs, checked timing (good), cleaned egr, replaced 02. I was wondering if anyone has any other solutions to get these to pass on a good number as the reff is really strict. I need some pointers to get the car to pass or I won't be able to drive it on the street any longer :(. any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance

FaLKoN240
10-14-2009, 06:30 PM
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/92533-so-i-fixed-my-smog-issues-high-nox.html

I know it says nox, but it has other helpful advice for passing smog.

Did you heat up the cat a lot? Maybe the EGR is bad?

Sileighty_DRFT89
10-14-2009, 10:57 PM
egr is good. I bansai'd it for a 20 minute drive to the reff at like 5000 lol. I think it was warm enough. thanks for that thread man

blackrms13
10-15-2009, 03:53 AM
get an oversized cat...it helps

rioredstang
10-15-2009, 08:14 PM
if the HC & CO are both high then it is running rich. you need to look at the o2 sensor reading and make sure it is switching. Should switch between .100mv to .800mv. You can use a volt ohm meter to watch the reading. Make sure Mass Air Flow Meter is clean. Make sure there are no vacuum leaks between maf and throttle body. Retarding the timing will lower HC levels. Changing the oil can help a little. I don't know what the levels were to give any more advice.

Sileighty_DRFT89
10-17-2009, 12:04 PM
so I've found another issue. my car is an 89 so it should origanally have a single cam. my car came with a dual cam. so the reff said my timing has been set at 15* or should be because they were looking in the 89 service manual which would show the timing of a single cam. the guy that had timed my car must of thought it was a single cam too as it was set at 15*. also the reff had said that the timing was supposed to be set at this. If I tell the reff that the motor has been swapped would I have to get it bar'd?? since its not the motor that originally came in my car?? how would this work??

tofast4u05
11-11-2009, 11:19 AM
You shouldn't have to get the car bard because the motor that is in it originally is from a 240sx. It's just out of a newer 240sx which should be OK to swap as long as it passes smog.